Dayton Game Thread

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
We have yet to shoot above 25% from deep in December. We are going to see a ton of zone. If we dont it will be against bad coaches. Which are few and far between on our remaining schedule

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We have yet to shoot above 25% from deep in December. We are going to see a ton of zone. If we dont it will be against bad coaches. Which are few and far between on our remaining schedule
The gamblers who bet on college hoops must think Dayton will play zone. Even without their big guys, the Flyers are a six point favorite.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The gamblers who bet on college hoops must think Dayton will play zone. Even without their big guys, the Flyers are a six point favorite.

Umm basketball is abutting shooting, at the end of the day, isn't it? If you're the Gang Who Can't Shoot Straight, aren't you likely to be underdogs?

More seriously, as has often been said, gambling odds are not about who will win, but often are heavily influenced by perceptions of program strength. What this really says to me is less about actual team strengths at the moment, but that gamblers believe that the public thinks more of Dayton basketball than GT basketball. Our hoops reputation has dropped that low.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Umm basketball is abutting shooting, at the end of the day, isn't it? If you're the Gang Who Can't Shoot Straight, aren't you likely to be underdogs?

More seriously, as has often been said, gambling odds are not about who will win, but often are heavily influenced by perceptions of program strength. What this really says to me is less about actual team strengths at the moment, but that gamblers believe that the public thinks more of Dayton basketball than GT basketball. Our hoops reputation has dropped that low.
The opening odds are set by what the oddsmakers in Vegas think will be the point spread required to attract betting on both teams. As the bets come in gamblers are saying who they believe will prevail with the existing point spread. So, yes, gamblers are saying who they think will win based on their knowledge of the teams. You can argue that they are just using the teams' reputations, but they are putting their money at risk and some of them are also avid followers of college hoops.

That said, they could be wrong. In fact, about half will be.

I do not bet on games, but those six points look very tempting.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Couple of interesting notes.
Dayton is 26-10 against Power Conference teams over the last 8 years.

Dayton is currently on a 7 game win streak against the ACC (it's last ACC win was against BC a couple of weeks ago).

It's undefeated when holding opponents under 70. It also undefeated when leading at the half and undefeated when leading with 5 minutes to play. Finally, it is undefeated in games decided by 10 pts or less.

sidewalk Tom

Georgia Tech Fan
Couple of interesting notes.
Dayton is 26-10 against Power Conference teams over the last 8 years.

Dayton is currently on a 7 game win streak against the ACC (it's last ACC win was against BC a couple of weeks ago).

It's undefeated when holding opponents under 70. It also undefeated when leading at the half and undefeated when leading with 5 minutes to play. Finally, it is undefeated in games decided by 10 pts or less.
my first post after much observation, Thank you RamblinRed for always posting informative information,good or bad while never changing the subject or degrading our kids or programs. Merry CHRISTmas everyone and go JACKETS!!

At the game was not expecting Dayton to be a jerk type of fans but so far not an amiable group. Really surprising but it is good they love their team.

Dayton definitely doesn't have the size as mentioned and based on appearance in warm ups. Not only height but bulk as well. We should pound inside all night because they also don't seem to have much depth based on the players on the court.

First game for my son he is excited so I the Jackets pull out the win.

We are not dominating on the boards like I was thinking we could and 21 is hot from 3 point line. We don't shoot very well as we already know.

This is my first game this year to really watch but we are really bad offensively and our defense isn't that great so tough to watch.

On the positive, Dayton can't keep up this 3 point shooting and if they do it is a long night.

Matt E

GT Athlete
We don't shoot well from any spot on the floor . It blows my mind we can't recruit a few guys that can at least hit a jumper a couple steps inside the arch.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
tough to watch...our team is not very good at the moment. Can't dictate pace of the game and is going to lose a lot of games in the ACC

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
just not a good shooting team.

Bright spot is that we shot better from 3 pt land tonight that we have during the previous 4 games... (21% vs 16%) Bad news is that both are crappy numbers.

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
I just don't understand how why we didn't do a better job guarding their 3 point shooting. Coming into the night, we knew two of their biggest players just got kicked off the team and they had no player over 6'6. Yet, we let them take wide open threes all night. They didn't even try to go inside. Our shooting is just atrocious. I honestly think of it as a wasted possession if I see us take a jump shot. Are we ever going to get a good jump shooter to come here?

yellowRambler

Jolly Good Fellow
I just cant see myself attending basketball games next year if Gregory is still coach. A change has to occur. No offense at all. Just terrible. Never recruited a shooter.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just saw this tweet from one of Dayton's assistant coaches come across my timeline and it tidily sums up the evening.