Dayton Game Thread

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
the most disappointing thing to me was we had the size advantage and halfway through the 2nd half had yet to be to the FT line once... size advantage means you crash the paint and draw fouls. That's a coachable game plan that we didn't seem to be utilizing. Also the 12 offensive boards for 4 points stat was painful

Matt E

GT Athlete
Serious question: have any of the players we recruited in the MGH class improved? I was very excited early on and felt if each if those guys got better year after year we would be in good shape in 2-3 years. Sadly, that entire crew looks exactly the same to me as they did freshman year. I see zero development and that falls on the coach.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The Free throw shooting definitely hasn't improved...what I would give to somehow land Jaylen Brown out of Wheeler. Just beat the #1 high school in the nation (who has the #1 high school basketball recruit) tonight and ended their 44 game winning streak

kseebs123

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm just baffled at how you have to resort to shooting 19 3 pointers against a team that has no one taller than 6'6''. Just a sign of an inability to create successful offensive game plans which has been a recurring theme throughout the Gregory era.

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
Another nail in the coffin. When the supposed lesser team in the small conference that you left 4 years ago to come to the big school in the mighty ACC beats your *** for the 2nd year in a row it's time to face the reality of the situation. This team executes so poorly on both ends of the floor and particularly in the back court it is pathetic. It's unwatchable unless you are the most diehard of fan.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Dayton sure as hell got the better end of this deal. No way CBG coaches here next year! But who and how long does the rebuilding take after he's gone?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Looking at this year's roster, Here is what I see happening:

Before the ACC games, Sampson, Cox, and Mitchell will be the regular rotation at the 4/5 slots, with brief help from Lammers. MGH will get a lot of minutes at the three, spelled by Q. Jackson and Bolden will share the 2 with Jorgenson and Heyward getting almost all the minutes at PG. Heath will be the fifth man in the backcourt. Someone else could emerge in camp, but this is the best lineup we have right now.

I look at this group and agree there some advantages here and there. But let's play a game for a moment. Assume the 4/5 position guys really have a breakout season and gives us 20 ppg and 20 boards. Also that MGH and Q can average 20 ppg between them. That means our guards, who have hardly ever scored in college, will have to average 27 for us to match last year's production. Is that reasonable? Would it be good enough, even if it happened?

BTW, we lost our best defensive players from last year and no one in that group looks like a stopper. I want to be optimistic, but my glasses are fogged up by the reality I see in front of us.
I wrote this in August.

Since then, Mitchell, Cox and Sampson are doing their part by averaging 25 points and 20 rebounds. MGH and Q are averaging 19 a game. Our guards are averaging 23 a game. This does not sound too bad - we're getting 67 a game from the team - but we're behind last year's production at this point. Last December we beat Kennesaw State to be 8-3. We were averaging 74 points a game. Then, when the ACC schedule began, our average dropped to 66 ppg. We scored less than 50 points three times last year!

Hell, we might get shut out when we play UVA on the road in January. Maybe we can use our "Point a Minute" offense as a recruiting tool like the Oregon Ducks.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Almost made it to that magical 25% mark from 3 last night. Maybe that's too much to hope for in year 4, ya know shooting over 25% from deep one time in a month. A solid tribute to the "good job" in recruiting we have done.

Hopefully only a couple more months of this. 4 years wasted.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Almost made it to that magical 25% mark from 3 last night. Maybe that's too much to hope for in year 4, ya know shooting over 25% from deep one time in a month. A solid tribute to the "good job" in recruiting we have done.

Hopefully only a couple more months of this. 4 years wasted.
Who's to blame for 4 years wasted?

Say it and let the truth set you free.

ETA: Regardless, even if he goes & we have some attrition, we'll still be in better shape than the last situation we were left in.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
B-Rab......wait, no........D-Rad

ETA: improvement was inevitable given the state of the program. The amount of progress is the disappointment

Last edited:

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
B-Rab......wait, no........D-Rad
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I like BG and I like the players we have in the program. They need to improve & execute better or he'll see his day of reckoning.

But remember, it was a lazy man who let Hewitt slide for making the NCAA Tourney, when in fact they underachieved and had players underdeveloped that very year. It was a lazy man who let Eddie Fogler run a coaching search. It was a lazy man who liked being a real estate guy, while not managing the product inside that real estate. It was a lazy man who passed on the opportunity to try and hire Shaka Smart, which we'll never again get, despite him being the perfect talent to lead this program.

IT WAS THIS LAZY MAN!!!!!

DRAD.jpg

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You know, when we signed Hewitt, I was actually happy with that decision. For quite a while it looked like a good one. I honestly think his rollover contract freed him to coast along with little or no fire. When we finally invited him to clean out his desk, I was happy with that decision as well. But not as happy as I will be to see BG leaving with a box in his hands.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I think CBG is a good dude. He just isn't an ACC caliber coach.

I like some of our players, but none of them would start on 75%of the ACC teams.

The search was a combination of situations hamstringing the program but lazy is the perfect adjective to describe it.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Do whatever it takes to get Gregg Marshall!
There's no way we pay $3MM+ when that's all we're paying CPJ. To get a top flight coach, we'll need to come in around $2.5MM (Chris Mack, Archie Miller, Pastner, Noodles Neal). To get a MM coach taking the next step, we'll need to come in around at least $1.5MM.

We should definitely not hire Chris Mooney.