Dayton Game Thread

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
While I don't want the players to look ahead, some breaking news prompted me starting the thread.

Looks like we'll have a chance to show we can beat a team like Marquette. Dayton just dismissed 2 of its 3 players over 6'6", including their starting post player. Hope we learned our lesson from Marquette & USC Upstate to play with 40 minutes of energy and attack the interior.

ETA: Their only 2 players over 6'6". The 3rd is an academic redshirt.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Still a lot of firepower on the perimeter.
Someone remind me what happened last time we had a blatant advantage on the interior?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Makes the game plan alot more simple. On defense you need to pay alot of attention to Siebert. Let anyone else try to beat you but him.

On offense. Move the ball, get it inside and rotate.

Apparently this is not the first time these 2 were caught stealing. FWIW, Scott was one of the team captains.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Makes the game plan alot more simple. On defense you need to pay alot of attention to Siebert. Let anyone else try to beat you but him.

On offense. Move the ball, get it inside and rotate.

Apparently this is not the first time these 2 were caught stealing. FWIW, Scott was one of the team captains.

Fwiw, they prefer "forcing turnovers" to "stealing."

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I like our chances in this game more than i did against Vandy. They have about as much size as Marquette did so we should be able to dominate the paint and hopefully we take advantage of it because we are a woeful jumpshooting team. Their second best player Dyshawn Pierre is really struggling so far this year so if you can contain Sibert and do what BU didnt,which is contain Kendall Pollard we should be in really good shape.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I like our chances in this game more than i did against Vandy. They have about as much size as Marquette did so we should be able to dominate the paint and hopefully we take advantage of it because we are a woeful jumpshooting team. Their second best player Dyshawn Pierre is really struggling so far this year so if you can contain Sibert and do what BU didnt,which is contain Kendall Pollard we should be in really good shape.

Setting me up, again. I'm so dadgum gullible.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Don't get my optimism for this particular matchup confused with my overall feeling of the program at this juncture.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
A few weeks ago I was sure this road game would be a loss for us, and it may yet be. But Scott and Robinson were getting 30% of the team's rebounds and averaged 12+ points per game. Dayton was not a great shooting team before these guys were dismissed and Scott was hitting 64% of his shots. The contributions of these two will be hard to replace. Kendall Pollard, already their top sub, is now starting. So that leaves them with only two subs with anything other than mop up duty.

I look for this game to be tight until the 10-12 minute mark in the second half. Foul trouble or minutes played will come to collect the debts owed by the Flyers and Tech will prevail.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
They came into the BU game shooting 27% from three and then went off for 48% from three including 5-5 by FR Davis. Have to hope they had their early play together bounce game and play a little more like the rest of the season where they have not been a great shooting team.

You have to think they will play alot of zone with a small team. A big key will be taking care of the ball like against Vandy. Make sure you at least get shots up on the glass - then you can let your rebounding help you.

Our team has a long ways to go, but they have scratched out 8 wins. Hopefully we can scratch to #9 tomorrow.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
We will see zone in every game so we MUST be ready.Has anyone seen a play in which a G (probably Heath) sneaks into the middle of zone and gets a pass from someone outside --then passes under to a big or back to wing for a shot.I saw this at first of season and thought it was so smart.Heath is clever enough to even shoot the ball from 14 ft if no one presses him.
There is one easiest way(if you have passers) to beat zone and that is to go into a man in middle of zone(esp a 1-2-2) to break it down.PG's future may hinge on him teaching that because we are going to see a bunch of zone this yr,with our pitiful 3 pt shooting.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Like Charles Mitchell said, I don't why any team would go man-to-man against us. If I were a coach playing against GT right now, it would be zone, zone, and some more zone. Especially if I didn't have anybody over 6'6"!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Like Charles Mitchell said, I don't why any team would go man-to-man against us. If I were a coach playing against GT right now, it would be zone, zone, and some more zone. Especially if I didn't have anybody over 6'6"!
We shall see. GT has not played Duke or UVA or Louisville or several other ACC teams. It could be that he is right, but time will tell.