Dayton Game Thread

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
For every reason you can name this was an UGLY game for us.The lost can be summed up by looking at the stats--SHOOTING.They KILLED us in every category.We only won one stat--OFF rebs.
This looked like Hewitt teams-throw it up there and get the miss hopefully.
Greg is a nice man but he is over his head.Weak recruiting and questionable coaching gives us what we have--a very average college bball team.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
That was not a pretty game last night. Certainly did not help Gregory's case.
I"ll still support the team and the coach because I think they are all working hard.
Funny enough, the RPI is still 42. I don't expect to see it there come March but at least it is there now.

Alot would have to get better.
If a move has to be made at the end of the season it will be interesting to see what Bobinski does in March.
I'm a big Marshall fan, always have been, but I doubt you can pry him from Wichita. I'm not a huge Smart fan. He is a one trick pony - and i don't think the one trick would be as effective in the ACC. He relies almost completely on forcing a ton of TO. Any time a team can handle the HAVOC defense VCU loses. ACC has more higher level perimeter players that can deal with it.

And that trick isnt as effective now that Mike Rhoades is at Rice.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
My two cents.

The question on the table is who is going to want to take over the #11 team in the ACC and turn them into a top 3 ACC team?

UVA wasnt a power when Bennett took them over. Someone who has ties to and can recruit the Southeast would be chomping at the bit to get in here. GT should never be short on talent given its conference, geography and former prestige.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
UVA wasnt a power when Bennett took them over. Someone who has ties to and can recruit the Southeast would be chomping at the bit to get in here. GT should never be short on talent given its conference, geography and former prestige.

GT basketball is a very good job. I would argue it's one of the top 25 jobs in college basketball given conference affiliation, home grown talent, history, facilities, and resources. GT has the potential to be a top 15 job with the right person. There are schools with far less than what we have that have been annual contenders because the right guy was found. Granted the ACC is the SEC of basketball in terms of having a tough game pretty much every conference game, but GT offers more than enough for the right coach to be very successful. Hewitt took us to the Finals and made multiple NCAA tournaments. Cremins had GT in the tournament every year until his last few years.

The right guy is out there. Bobinski either needs to search and dig a little deeper (assistants, smaller programs, etc) or pay up (Marshall, Smart, whatever flavor of the year). Unless MBob can dig down into his bag of bball contacts, GT is going to have to pay some good money because that's just how you get coaches these days unless you go the the scratch and dent bin (see Bruce Pearl)...and that's never been GT's route.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I love Smart but he seems to want to stay put. MBob did a great job at Xavier of hiring good/great bball coaches, it's his time to shine now here at GT.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Yah at Xavier I believe Bobinski hired Matta, Miller and Mack and I cant imagine they paid a huge amount for any of them. I think we would all be very happy with those type of coaches. Miller IMHO is one of the top 6-8 coaches in the country now.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Need help trying to remember when we hired Gregory (yes, I am getting up there and some things don't come back like they use to). didn't the Dayton fans tell us that we would not be happy with the offense he will coach? That he was a good man, that he ran a clean program, and he could not coach offense X and O's and teach good offensive skills?

And here is to a Happy New Year for all of you (and you know what that means on NY Eve!)

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Need help trying to remember when we hired Gregory (yes, I am getting up there and some things don't come back like they use to). didn't the Dayton fans tell us that we would not be happy with the offense he will coach? That he was a good man, that he ran a clean program, and he could not coach offense X and O's and teach good offensive skills?

And here is to a Happy New Year for all of you (and you know what that means on NY Eve!)

Yes, that is basically what was said.
But he was hired for a few specific reasons.
1. He was what we could afford to hire at the time.
2. He ran a clean program with a reputation for graduating kids - having already lost 2 schollies due to APR issues and looking at potentially more that was considered very important.

My hope at the time was that he would turn us into a solid, middle of the pack ACC program by year 4 or 5, making the job more attractive the next time we had to hire a new coach. That was my belief in his ceiling at GT an largely still is.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yes, that is basically what was said.
But he was hired for a few specific reasons.
1. He was what we could afford to hire at the time.
2. He ran a clean program with a reputation for graduating kids - having already lost 2 schollies due to APR issues and looking at potentially more that was considered very important.

My hope at the time was that he would turn us into a solid, middle of the pack ACC program by year 4 or 5, making the job more attractive the next time we had to hire a new coach. That was my belief in his ceiling at GT an largely still is.
I think most of agreed with that. My problem now is the ceiling seems too high for the available ladders.