Dave Patenaude's Offense

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe that CDP can be successful here, and am not calling for him to go, but his offense at Temple was ranked 94th in 2017 and 58th in 2018 in OFEI, so kind of mediocre. That being said, he was trending up and didn't really have time to prove his worth. If we give him a chance I think we will be pleased, but right now neither CGC or CDP have been anywhere long enough to get a good reading on future success based on their statistics at any one school. We just have to trust that TStan did his homework when he hired CGC (I do) and trust CGC to hire his staff (I do) and wait for the new recruits to populate the system. There are no shortcuts.
I agree. I do think it is important to note that the Talent they were working with at Temple is not nearly the same caliber talent we are bringing in. I have faith until proven wrong.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I believe that CDP can be successful here, and am not calling for him to go, but his offense at Temple was ranked 94th in 2017 and 58th in 2018 in OFEI, so kind of mediocre. That being said, he was trending up and didn't really have time to prove his worth. If we give him a chance I think we will be pleased, but right now neither CGC or CDP have been anywhere long enough to get a good reading on future success based on their statistics at any one school. We just have to trust that TStan did his homework when he hired CGC (I do) and trust CGC to hire his staff (I do) and wait for the new recruits to populate the system. There are no shortcuts.
Yeah. Whatever list you responded to is a bit whack. Temple ran like 15 drives a game in 2018, so their total points per game was high. Once adjusted to PPD they were, as you said, more mediocre.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Explain why more points per game is bad?

Seems like more drives per game makes points per drive into points per game.
Because more drives for yourself means more drives for your opponent. So just by way of adding more drives you inflate the score of both teams. An offense who gets the ball 13 times and kicks 13 field goals is not better than an offense that gets the ball 5 times and scores 5 touch downs. That’s is an extreme example, but the point remains.

I am also not trying to say that running more drives is bad. I personally believe that if you believe you have the better team, you should run more drives to ensure luck and random chance is minimized. Counter to that, if you are worse, you should try to conserve drives and try to allow luck to work in your favor. One of my big gripes about CPJ was he tried to play ball control in every game which made it a challenge when luck was against us early.

He fact that CDP didn’t try to get us into the 12-14 drives per game area this year is a good thing because I think it shows he realized our defense doesn’t have the depth for that yet (they struggled enough as it was late in games). I would definitely look to see us having more drives next year though.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Because more drives for yourself means more drives for your opponent. So just by way of adding more drives you inflate the score of both teams. An offense who gets the ball 13 times and kicks 13 field goals is not better than an offense that gets the ball 5 times and scores 5 touch downs. That’s is an extreme example, but the point remains.

I am also not trying to say that running more drives is bad. I personally believe that if you believe you have the better team, you should run more drives to ensure luck and random chance is minimized. Counter to that, if you are worse, you should try to conserve drives and try to allow luck to work in your favor. One of my big gripes about CPJ was he tried to play ball control in every game which made it a challenge when luck was against us early.

He fact that CDP didn’t try to get us into the 12-14 drives per game area this year is a good thing because I think it shows he realized our defense doesn’t have the depth for that yet (they struggled enough as it was late in games). I would definitely look to see us having more drives next year though.
Before moving from Texas we went to baylor game. - They spread the field and went deep so often the dbs and safeties were gassed by end of 3rd q and baylor had lots if end of game success. It took baylor to realize the bend but don't break defense just wore out their defense. They went to fast lbs to cover up issues and blitz.
Any way when the 4th q arrived the points per drive was pretty high for Baylor and other offenses got sloppy trying to score at the rapid pace.

This year we were not good in any phase for any amount of time - totally consistent - to dictate any thing on offense.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
All I want to see are first downs. I’m giving Patenaude plenty of rope. I don’t mind being bad while rebuilding but we were just bad in getting first downs. We had to have set done sort of dubious record for 3 and outs. I remember one game we started out the game with 3 or 4 three and outs. It was mind numbing.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
All I want to see are first downs. I’m giving Patenaude plenty of rope. I don’t mind being bad while rebuilding but we were just bad in getting first downs. We had to have set done sort of dubious record for 3 and outs. I remember one game we started out the game with 3 or 4 three and outs. It was mind numbing.

Now we are talking! If we are going to be 75+ play team we must sustain drives and keep the chains moving. Temple regressed in this area from yr 1 to 2 under CDP from ~43% to 37%. Maybe this is contributed to @ibeattetris stat of more drives.
32126E02-8932-46E2-BCE9-84D5DE48447E.jpeg

So based on these numbers this is how i will grade CDP

An ideal season for us under CDP and bowl gm appearance will be

60%+ pass comp %
240avg+ passing yds/gm
150yds avg rushing
40% 3rd down conversion
Under 12ints
30ppg

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Now we are talking! If we are going to be 75+ play team we must sustain drives and keep the chains moving. Temple regressed in this area from yr 1 to 2 under CDP from ~43% to 37%. Maybe this is contributed to @ibeattetris stat of more drives.
View attachment 7482

60%+ pass comp %
240avg+ passing yds/gm
150yds avg rushing
40% 3rd down conversion
Under 12ints
30ppg
How many years do you give to get to this point? Should be by 2021 season imo. I’d be pleased with mid to high 20’s scoring with 50% passing this year.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 7482

60%+ pass comp %
240avg+ passing yds/gm
150yds avg rushing
40% 3rd down conversion
Under 12ints
30ppg
You might want to be developing a curve system to grade him with next year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 7482

60%+ pass comp %
240avg+ passing yds/gm
150yds avg rushing
40% 3rd down conversion
Under 12ints
30ppg

What if in 21 we win a couple of last second games, lose a couple of mid season games but go on a tear to finish season near 9 and 3 .

In 21 we need to physically beat down some teams """"like"""" we did in 14.

250 passing yards 150 yss rushing. I like it.

Last edited:

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
How many years do you give to get to this point? Should be by 2021 season imo. I’d be pleased with mid to high 20’s scoring with 50% passing this year.

This is based on yr 1 to 2 progress at Temple.
I expect the OLine to be better (has to be right?) and more athletes on the perimeter to complement AB in the slot. Yeah the schedule may have the brand recognition but these numbers are manageable

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think we’ll take big steps in offense next year primarily because we were historically bad on offense. As the saying goes no where to go but up. It’s all about QB play and OLine.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We have to...HAVE TO...sustain more drives. Way too many 3 and outs, and drives that lead to ZERO points. It's not only hurting us offensively, but also on the defensive drive. UGA pretty much wore us down the second half after we were able to play them within striking distance the first half.

IMO, Patenaude needs to make that drive up 75 into Vinnings and spend a couple of hours a few times a week picking CPJ's brain on how we can implement CPJ's flex option and adjustments within what Patenaude is trying to do. Our staff would be idiots not to make use of CPJ's brain...much the same way Cutcliffe and Harbaugh of the Raven did. We're getting skill players and OLs CPJ tried for years to get, and now we have them. Doesn't mean we need to return to the triple option, but there are a LOT of things Patenaude can learn from CPJ to help us going forward. Like the Ravens, we can modernize flex option concepts and still sell them under the "pro spread" umbrella.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
We have to...HAVE TO...sustain more drives. Way too many 3 and outs, and drives that lead to ZERO points. It's not only hurting us offensively, but also on the defensive drive. UGA pretty much wore us down the second half after we were able to play them within striking distance the first half.

IMO, Patenaude needs to make that drive up 75 into Vinnings and spend a couple of hours a few times a week picking CPJ's brain on how we can implement CPJ's flex option and adjustments within what Patenaude is trying to do. Our staff would be idiots not to make use of CPJ's brain...much the same way Cutcliffe and Harbaugh of the Raven did. We're getting skill players and OLs CPJ tried for years to get, and now we have them. Doesn't mean we need to return to the triple option, but there are a LOT of things Patenaude can learn from CPJ to help us going forward. Like the Ravens, we can modernize flex option concepts and still sell them under the "pro spread" umbrella.

I actually agree. The majority of this team is still CPJ recruits and they learned & were recruited for that system. Hopefully the bridge isn’t burned completely.

With that, I don’t think that’s a big issue with P’Nut. He has option and read option embedded in his offense. His use of it is what was problematic for me. He’d run one play of the triple, it would get major yards but then you wouldn’t see it anymore. Like keep running the plays the work until they stop it consistently. The team this season should have been a heavy run oriented team and it wasn’t. That’s on P’Nut.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree i think the offense will be quite a bit better in 2020

My initial reaction to this post was, "It can't get any worse".

My hope is that the offense has few injuries and it comes together as a unit. I also hope Pnut finds an identity with the offense during the offseason. In addressing Techsters post, the three and outs will go down if the negative yardage plays on first and second down are erased. With an improved Oline, I believe that will be the story next year, that Tech can establish a ground game, and Pnut shows he is a P5 offensive coordinator. Mason could have a big season if he gets enough touches. (Mason was my pick as MVP last year, he is a beast)

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
My initial reaction to this post was, "It can't get any worse".

My hope is that the offense has few injuries and it comes together as a unit. I also hope Pnut finds an identity with the offense during the offseason. In addressing Techsters post, the three and outs will go down if the negative yardage plays on first and second down are erased. With an improved Oline, I believe that will be the story next year, that Tech can establish a ground game, and Pnut shows he is a P5 offensive coordinator. Mason could have a big season if he gets enough touches. (Mason was my pick as MVP last year, he is a beast)

Absolutely MVP in my book. I think we go 0-12 without him.

Jmonty71

Banned
So there is a lot of talk on the board about not understanding what offensive scheme we are running. Some feel we look lost and there is no scheme. Here is some information to clear things up for us, maybe it will also allow many here to understand better where we are, where we are going, and why we are struggling.
That explains the basics. However ; at the NCAA level, you have to go above basics. There are audibles, for instance. Being able to digest what the defense is doing and turn it against them. That is where I want to see the biggest improvement. It doesn't matter which offense, you run. It matters how well its ran and how much you can outsmart the defense.

Triple option -
I don't really need to explain, right?!

Power Run - 2-3 back sets , 1-3 TE, play action passing, fullback and Hbacks used

Spread Option - Shotgun, normally 1 RB, no huddle, uptempo, short passes or screens to get ball out quickly, tons of 3-4-or-5 wide sets.

Pro Style - Multiple sets including single backs, I formation, shotgun, 50/50 balls for run to set up pass game, lots of motioning and lots of people getting the ball.

Confusion Cause
CGC kept saying we will run an NFL style offense. So, people thought Pro style was coming. What he meant was he will run an offense that allows players to develop and showcase themselves for the NFL draft. Meaning our offense will be schemed to showcase the necessary abilities and skills of the players to get the right attention.

Dave Patenaude's Offensive Scheme Is...
Spread Option

Pat has a scheme that is a spread Option offense based around the run. This does not mean we will always run, it means we will have to run effectively to set up the pass game he wants. By utilizing an effective run game, you create a numbers advantage where you can pass over the opponents head consistently. Not genius football. He does utilize RPO a lot as well, which requires the QB to make the right read AND the line to block for the run well. So we move on to the part that is hard to swallow for most Tech fans...

Why We Are Struggling
We have an inexperienced QB coupled with an OLine that is being transitioned to pass block AND the OLine is injured and has new and walk on players.

What does this mean?

Well the QB is suppose to make the RPO read, right? Well inexperience is leading to late decisions. See the QBs holding the ball too long sometimes before giving or pulling. Also, the RPO requires the QB and receivers be in sync. This is why the WR aren't even looking sometimes when we throw, they read the D different than the QB. Add to it that we are not blocking well for the run OR pass and we fall apart.

The remedy is better blocking on the line along with experience of the guys playing together and learning not only the playbook but what each other is going to see play in and play out. This is why we keep seeing the run game causing three n outs. PNodes offense requires the run to click to be effective, else, they pass rush constant and we fall flat because we can't keep em honest. Also, we can't keep tempo for the same reasons mentioned above and that is a huge part of what makes this work.