Dave Patenaude's Offense

Jmonty71

Banned
My last post went crazy. Sorry guys. I was saying. That post explains the basics. Its not the basics, I'm worried about. Its how well the offense is ran and how well the OC adjusts to what is being thrown. I feel that this is where we struggled the most. We didn't adapt to what the other team's defense was doing. No matter what the offense is, if the D is stopping what you're doing, use that against them. I understand establishing the run. MOST offenses are like that.

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
My last post went crazy. Sorry guys. I was saying. That post explains the basics. Its not the basics, I'm worried about. Its how well the offense is ran and how well the OC adjusts to what is being thrown. I feel that this is where we struggled the most. We didn't adapt to what the other team's defense was doing. No matter what the offense is, if the D is stopping what you're doing, use that against them. I understand establishing the run. MOST offenses are like that.
While I do not disagree with you, I must also point out that the OC was in a bad place this season. The majority of the season, we COULD NOT establish the run and to top it off we were about as inconsistent as possible in the pass game. That is on the QB AND the OLine AND the TE AND the WRs not making the blocks they needed to or even catching some very catchable balls.

Point is, with this much ineffectiveness, what could the OC call? It seemed like there was nothing we did well more than 30-50% of the time that we could really fall back on. If run didn't work, he would call a pass, and either the OL, QB, or WR would fail us. If the short pass didn't work, he called deep passes more and us fans were complaining he wasn't throwing more screens and bubbles. It was a no win situation. I think there could have been improved play calling, but I also see that there was a talent deficiency that caused more problems than the play calling did.

That's isn't a dog at the players. Unfortunately, some of these guys aren't meant for this Offense, and some of them aren't meant for this coaching style and weren't able to pick up what the staff was trying to show them.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I actually agree. The majority of this team is still CPJ recruits and they learned & were recruited for that system. Hopefully the bridge isn’t burned completely.
We’ve signed 45 players since CGC took over. With 85 on scholarship when we start fall practice that will mean 53% of the team are CGC recruits if we sign no more this year. It’s likely we’re closer to 60% by the time it’s all done. Once the 2021 recruiting class is inked, there will only be a handful from the old regime left.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We’ve signed 45 players since CGC took over. With 85 on scholarship when we start fall practice that will mean 53% of the team are CGC recruits if we sign no more this year. It’s likely we’re closer to 60% by the time it’s all done. Once the 2021 recruiting class is inked, there will only be a handful from the old regime left.

I wouldn't say 2019 class was a "CGC" class. He honored CPJ commits, so in a sense he inherited those recruits. Those were not his hand picked recruits, and it would have been a bad start if CGC pulled their offers that late in the class.

2020 is CGC's first class that's 100% the guys he wanted.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't say 2019 class was a "CGC" class. He honored CPJ commits, so in a sense he inherited those recruits. Those were not his hand picked recruits, and it would have been a bad start if CGC pulled their offers that late in the class.

But and I'm not looking at the list CGC did have some he added that would not have been here if CGC had not went and got them, just not sure about the number.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

9 of the 21 commits in the 2019 class were recruited by CGC. I was shocked it was that high. That being said, being so late to the game in 2019, Collins wasn't able to truly work his magic. I agree 2020 is his first real class, but with the transfers, this class, and 9 from 2019, he will be near 50% this season in roster turnover.

LibertyTurns

Banned
9 of the 21 commits in the 2019 class were recruited by CGC. I was shocked it was that high. That being said, being so late to the game in 2019, Collins wasn't able to truly work his magic. I agree 2020 is his first real class, but with the transfers, this class, and 9 from 2019, he will be near 50% this season in roster turnover.
The point being by August 2021 CGC will own his roster. I guess the next debate is how it takes for him to train them up so we can stop looking backwards & start looking forward. I’m way past the point of hearing about what we did 3 years ago. If I did that to my Boss he’d laugh. And yes, I inherited a full Team the previous guy hired.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I struggled to eval the OC this year.

The OL was thin to begin with then lost its two most experienced guys for the season, plus the only OL who played well vs Clemson.

Whoever won QB starter got to be a rookie behind that OL. Yay. Oh wait, all of the above also have to transition to a NEW offense for which they were not recruited.

Simple, you say. Run more option stuff. But then you aren't really transitioning, are you? And as a matter of fact we did incorporate some option.

OC was criticized for giving 3 different QBs playing time and not sticking with one guy. However can you imagine how hard the fonts here would be crying for the back ups if they hadn't seen them? They would say he should at least TRY the back ups and see who gave him the best chance to win....which is what he actually did.

I see criticism the OC did not adjust. Yet in many games we moved the ball much better in the second half.

Look, I don't know if DP is a good OC or not. I do know we were picked to go 3-8 and last in Coastal on the basis of the transition plus big problems with the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Just funny to see the expert keyboard warrior critics here who through their years of football experience KNOW that DP is not the man because the O as expected by actual football experts struggled.

You may ultimately be right. But I guarandamntee it won't be because you can see it now.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
While I do not disagree with you, I must also point out that the OC was in a bad place this season. The majority of the season, we COULD NOT establish the run and to top it off we were about as inconsistent as possible in the pass game. That is on the QB AND the OLine AND the TE AND the WRs not making the blocks they needed to or even catching some very catchable balls.

Point is, with this much ineffectiveness, what could the OC call? It seemed like there was nothing we did well more than 30-50% of the time that we could really fall back on. If run didn't work, he would call a pass, and either the OL, QB, or WR would fail us. If the short pass didn't work, he called deep passes more and us fans were complaining he wasn't throwing more screens and bubbles. It was a no win situation. I think there could have been improved play calling, but I also see that there was a talent deficiency that caused more problems than the play calling did.

That's isn't a dog at the players. Unfortunately, some of these guys aren't meant for this Offense, and some of them aren't meant for this coaching style and weren't able to pick up what the staff was trying to show them.
Well … he could have done what we did at Miami: use a lot more under center sets and use the "flex back" position for something more besides "designated bench warmer". With a blocker like Cottrell on the bench, we lost a lot of edge work that could have made - dare I say it? - option plays more likely to work. It also would have provided an extra blocker for off-tackle plays. A "pro-style" O, iow.

But no! We want to "showcase players for the NFL"! Not do something that would attract pro scouts attention, like, you know, winning football games. Personally, I don't like to think that Collins is this stupid, but I do suspect that this year he wanted to show recruits that there was a new show in town, instead of doing a real transition that would use the skills of the players we had already. And, you know, win. So we, you know, lost. A lot.

Well, let's hope both he and Patenaude think they have shown enough to get back to what our roster can do. Not, mind, that it'll make much difference during the Season of Doom.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Well … he could have done what we did at Miami: use a lot more under center sets and use the "flex back" position for something more besides "designated bench warmer". With a blocker like Cottrell on the bench, we lost a lot of edge work that could have made - dare I say it? - option plays more likely to work. It also would have provided an extra blocker for off-tackle plays. A "pro-style" O, iow.

But no! We want to "showcase players for the NFL"! Not do something that would attract pro scouts attention, like, you know, winning football games. Personally, I don't like to think that Collins is this stupid, but I do suspect that this year he wanted to show recruits that there was a new show in town, instead of doing a real transition that would use the skills of the players we had already. And, you know, win. So we, you know, lost. A lot.

Well, let's hope both he and Patenaude think they have shown enough to get back to what our roster can do. Not, mind, that it'll make much difference during the Season of Doom.
Hahaha all your essays are hilarious

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
If Pnut gets a couple of a solid OL and TE via the transfer portal to go with new freshmen recruits and more overall experience, will there be any excuses for poor offensive production next year?

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If Pnut gets a couple of a solid OL and TE via the transfer portal to go with new freshmen recruits and more overall experience, will there be any excuses for poor offensive production next year?

Depends on IF they can block effectively, or not. Doesn't matter what play is called, if the OL and TE don't/ can't block effectively, it's not going to gain positive yardage.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Blocking is an obvious concern and must be improved, but our OC seems to play call based on how we mismatch with the D alignment with often disregard for down and distance, position on the field, and best personnel in the game for the play called. He seems to know his "stuff" about mismatches but the flow of his play calling sequence seems to have little regard for how to effectively move the chains or take advantage of the extra down in the red zone.. Hope I am wrong.

Jmonty71

Banned
Blocking is an obvious concern and must be improved, but our OC seems to play call based on how we mismatch with the D alignment with often disregard for down and distance, position on the field, and best personnel in the game for the play called. He seems to know his "stuff" about mismatches but the flow of his play calling sequence seems to have little regard for how to effectively move the chains or take advantage of the extra down in the red zone.. Hope I am wrong.
Blocking has been horrid, for years. Keep in mind, our blocking was flopping at someone's feet, for years. To me, this was the biggest of all changes. Allowing time, to conduct pass progression is huge.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Offense (98th) only finished two spots behind defense (96th) in FEI, with special teams (Harvin) killing it at 89th. Should Todd S just go ahead and fire everyone again? (no)

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Sims has about 15 pounds on Graham right now. I think he's capable taking the hits early. One look at him and you can see he clearly has the body to compete right now. Gleason may be the biggest QB at about 225lbs.

Biggest hurdle for Sims is CDP. This guy is good. I’m just concerned that we don’t have the QB developer and play caller to do anything with this talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LibertyTurns

Banned
I mean. We just landed fsus future qb. Just saying. Dude is legit. Lets see if he can grow in our system the right way
Our heritage is we have taken more than a few marginally physically developed players & coached them up to make up for the lack of pure physical talent they had leaving the HS ranks. Diamonds in the rough if you will, players “flying under the radar”, etc. I think some of us are unsure of what it means to get someone that comes in with the pure physical talent & the coaching up is additive to this “head start” we’re getting.We not used to getting a diamond, much less anyone “on the radar”.

Forgive us for our skepticism, but damn this kid looks great! Graham better fight for his position every day because I don’t think this kid’s going to wait in the wings for a chance.