Dave Patenaude's Offense

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It means we need better coaching. I do not care about the scheme as long as it is coached well. We have piss poor coaching up to this point. It will be interesting to see what happens in the off-season... But coaching has been Below The Line ALL season...

For what it is worth...
I do not buy the injury excuse for our OL.. Defoor(ole Miss Transfer) Southers (Vandy Transfer) Davis (UConn Transfer) plus Quinney has started all year...yes two spots were up for grabs.... But again...Brent Key is suppose to be this great OL coach and you have three transfers to work with... Below The Line coaching... I thought we were getting the Bama Brent Key not the UCF 0-12 Brent Key..
OL coaching takes time. Justin Britt, the Pro-Bowl center for the Seahawks had a year of being the worst starting tackle in the NFL and a year of being the worst starting guard in the NFL before settling into being a strength on the line. Germain Ifedi had a couple of bad years before being a reliable starter at right tackle. And these were NFL guys who spent a lot more hours per week practicing. It’s not like a coach can just come in and say “Have you tried, you know, blocking the other team’s players?” and suddenly fix all the problems. The OL were playing in a blocking scheme that Brent is unfamiliar with. I’ve seen a lot of improvement this season, even though our guys still have a ways to go.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
What we need to do is simple. WE need to keep the defense on their toes ALL times. For starters we need to start out with either a zone read or triple option to see how their lining up if their more focused on the box or stopping deep explosive plays. Another thin we need to try and take as much clock as possible cause i have a bit of the feeling the defense can show up we can't just be throwing them onto the field tired as can be. So simple try and get the box stacked then hit some deep plays or take 5 minute drives

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
It means we need better coaching. I do not care about the scheme as long as it is coached well. We have piss poor coaching up to this point. It will be interesting to see what happens in the off-season... But coaching has been Below The Line ALL season...

For what it is worth...
I do not buy the injury excuse for our OL.. Defoor(ole Miss Transfer) Southers (Vandy Transfer) Davis (UConn Transfer) plus Quinney has started all year...yes two spots were up for grabs.... But again...Brent Key is suppose to be this great OL coach and you have three transfers to work with... Below The Line coaching... I thought we were getting the Bama Brent Key not the UCF 0-12 Brent Key..

I actually think the OL has gotten better as the year has gone on...which to me implies good coaching. Key is working with lineman that were not recruited for this offense. Have to give him some time.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I actually think the OL has gotten better as the year has gone on...which to me implies good coaching. Key is working with lineman that were not recruited for this offense. Have to give him some time.

I don’t know how many fans are actually
criticizing Key(there are a lot criticizing Dave P, which is has some validity IMO), but I feel like those criticizing Key have only been to 1 game in person this year or less. It can be hard to really see what the OL is doing on TV unless the broadcast focuses on it, which isn’t often. In person at BDS, I can tell you there has been a huge improvement from Citadel to NC State. Add the injuries to the mix and I’m even more impressed with Key.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
The entire FSU staff is probably going to get fired...which means Kendall Briles will be available, though there are indications that FSU would like to retain him as OC if the next coach is open to it. I know he's got some baggage from his days at Baylor, but that guy is an offensive savant. FSU is finally getting what they thought they would with Briles now that Taggert is gone and Briles can coach the offense the way he wants it without Taggert interfering.

Hell f’n no to Briles or anyone else from that Baylor rape factory. It’s not surprising to me that FSU embraced him.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
What we need to do is simple. WE need to keep the defense on their toes ALL times. For starters we need to start out with either a zone read or triple option to see how their lining up if their more focused on the box or stopping deep explosive plays. Another thin we need to try and take as much clock as possible cause i have a bit of the feeling the defense can show up we can't just be throwing them onto the field tired as can be. So simple try and get the box stacked then hit some deep plays or take 5 minute drives
The plays used in the first couple of series of the Clemson game (which were working decently btw) might be effective against uga. When your up against teams that fast all you can really do is run straight at them and try punching them in the mouth, if it works then you can start mixing it up

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I really wish Patenaude would mix in some of CPJ’s formations, i’d bet any money our guys remember how to run the basic plays with minimal practice......midline anyone?

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
What I haven’t understood all year is how most people don’t understand the performance of the players is really based on their ability yes but mostly their position coach. We have a lot of young staff members, but the veterans we have (Key, Choice, Dixon) have all excelled in coaching up there guys. My biggest concern moving forward is Dave P, the quarterbacks have been so inconsistent and that falls on him the QB coach. His playcalling has been *** at times but I’m really worried how Yates Graham Gleason are going to develop under him.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
We run quite a bit of zone read. For some reason we went away from it at the start of the VT game (and the first one I can remember from the game was a misread).

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I really wish Patenaude would mix in some of CPJ’s formations, i’d bet any money our guys remember how to run the basic plays with minimal practice......midline anyone?
We have lined up in both a pistol bunch that mirrors the flex as well as an under center version with the "a-backs" in the traditional slot position. We even motion the slot into the i-formation position as if it were the flex. I planned on making a post about this as well as some other formations later tonight. Once I am home I will post a gif of the under center version.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
What I haven’t understood all year is how most people don’t understand the performance of the players is really based on their ability yes but mostly their position coach. We have a lot of young staff members, but the veterans we have (Key, Choice, Dixon) have all excelled in coaching up there guys. My biggest concern moving forward is Dave P, the quarterbacks have been so inconsistent and that falls on him the QB coach. His playcalling has been *** at times but I’m really worried how Yates Graham Gleason are going to develop under him.
Well I have to say I agree I like all of our coachs just which CGC would look hard for a new OC

GTFLETCH

Banned
OL coaching takes time. Justin Britt, the Pro-Bowl center for the Seahawks had a year of being the worst starting tackle in the NFL and a year of being the worst starting guard in the NFL before settling into being a strength on the line. Germain Ifedi had a couple of bad years before being a reliable starter at right tackle. And these were NFL guys who spent a lot more hours per week practicing. It’s not like a coach can just come in and say “Have you tried, you know, blocking the other team’s players?” and suddenly fix all the problems. The OL were playing in a blocking scheme that Brent is unfamiliar with. I’ve seen a lot of improvement this season, even though our guys still have a ways to go.
I wonder why Shaq Mason who played for Paul Johnson has started for New England the last five years? I mean hell he played in a different scheme...How the heck did Parker Braun get a starting spot at Texas after playing in another scheme and I wonder why it didn't take as long...wonder if coaching helped and I wonder why it didn't take as long as your example...

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
We have lined up in both a pistol bunch that mirrors the flex as well as an under center version with the "a-backs" in the traditional slot position. We even motion the slot into the i-formation position as if it were the flex. I planned on making a post about this as well as some other formations later tonight. Once I am home I will post a gif of the under center version.
We have also run tail motion from a flexbone look, but with the "Bback" slighlty deeper in the backfield than CPJ.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I wonder why Shaq Mason who played for Paul Johnson has started for New England the last five years? I mean hell he played in a different scheme...How the heck did Parker Braun get a starting spot at Texas after playing in another scheme and I wonder why it didn't take as long...wonder if coaching helped and I wonder why it didn't take as long as your example...

Are Braun and Mason, or their equivalents, on this team?

I wonder why we have so little OL depth? Must be Collins.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I saw that one as well. The one I took a video of was with the Bback at the normal flexbone depth. I don’t know if I got one of the tailback depth
I find it weird that a lot of what people complain about with CDP are things that he has demonstrably done--
Do what we are good at (started TO and ran him downhill against Clemstown)
Run under center in short yardage (Clemson)
Run some of our old formations
Run the option
Screens, shirt passing game, pound Mason, on and on.

I have concerns about him as a QB coach, and/or how the head juice dad's ATL philosophy influences QB prep and who sees the field. But, according to the demands of our most hateraded CDP haters, he has done all the things.

Obviously, points and FEI don't lie, but I don't think CDP's problems are that he doesn't try things that swarm folk want to see.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

We have also run tail motion from a flexbone look, but with the "Bback" slighlty deeper in the backfield than CPJ.

Motion comes from a different side than we are used to, and we rarely had him stop (I think we ran some from i formation in 2008 but don't quote me on that). This is still an example of us running formations CPJ ran (not that is even important imo). We did get the first down!

Also, I love when people complain about the triple option at GT when it's IN OUR BLOOD. Here is a cool clip from 1999 with Oleary and Friedgen :cool:

If CGC and CDP are looking to make us as multiple as we were in that era I'm all aboard.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I find it weird that a lot of what people complain about with CDP are things that he has demonstrably done--
Do what we are good at (started TO and ran him downhill against Clemstown)
Run under center in short yardage (Clemson)
Run some of our old formations
Run the option
Screens, shirt passing game, pound Mason, on and on.

I have concerns about him as a QB coach, and/or how the head juice dad's ATL philosophy influences QB prep and who sees the field. But, according to the demands of our most hateraded CDP haters, he has done all the things.

Obviously, points and FEI don't lie, but I don't think CDP's problems are that he doesn't try things that swarm folk want to see.
I agree. There is definitely a lot of confirmation bias going on. I am guilty of it myself.

When we are getting three and out as much as we are, it's hard to blame the coaches for the lack of exotic formations. We are struggling with basic stuff right now, so I am not too sure what the answer is.

I am not sold on CDP. He coached for 26 years without becoming an FBS coach. Maybe that was because he liked where he was, so I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He still has to prove it on the field at some point, but I don't think it's fair to judge him on this year alone (or maybe next year if I'm being honest).

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Shaq Mason is a once in a generation talent, and Parker Braun has become a whipping boy for Texas fans and is now fallen out of the conversation of getting drafted.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

Motion comes from a different side than we are used to, and we rarely had him stop (I think we ran some from i formation in 2008 but don't quote me on that). This is still an example of us running formations CPJ ran (not that is even important imo). We did get the first down!

Also, I love when people complain about the triple option at GT when it's IN OUR BLOOD. Here is a cool clip from 1999 with Oleary and Friedgen :cool:

If CGC and CDP are looking to make us as multiple as we were in that era I'm all aboard.

Damn it's too late to edit. I just want to point out. UVA had 9 defenders at the LOS and in the box. We still got the yard. We gripe on the OL quite a bit (deservedly :( ), but they get after it and try their best.