Dave Patenaude's Offense

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Here's one that had me confused yesterday. We had been having success getting to the edge. On 4th (I think 2 to gain), we run up the middle from a shotgun.

That seems like it would've been an excellent place to run student body right, or the reverse to Oliver.

We need to be a little more creative and play to our strengths.

I didn't get that play, either. Seemed very telegraphed as well. But outside of that I didn't see a whole lot wrong with the play calling in general.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I didn't get that play, either. Seemed very telegraphed as well. But outside of that I didn't see a whole lot wrong with the play calling in general.

It did seem like they had very wide splits between NG and DT on that play. I was actually hoping to see Graham walk up under center and run just to the left of the center. When I realized he wasn't going to do that, I thought maybe a chance to get wide, or give Mason a chance for a cut back on a toss might be the call.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
There are a couple of ways (certainly more) to approach play-calling.
(1) start with a few basic calls. When one works stay with it until the other team adjusts and stops it. Note the adjustment which exposes something somewhere else. Run to the somewhere else. Rinse and repeat. This takes a coach like CPJ who watches the game and understands what is actually happening in detail on the field. This approach puts you more in charge of what the defense has to do. It also leads to knowing the play call options for down three when you are calling down two.
(2) have a laminated play sheet with all sorts of combinations of formations and plays and mix it up. This requires the ability to read the laminated sheet and have a "feel" for the flow of the game. I am uncertain about adjustments and I am not getting the "feel". IMO this approach treats each play more as a stand alone event.
This is of course an over simplification but I think you can see what our play-calling looks like from the stands. One example: Our LT could not block his outside rusher one on one and as a result Graham got blind-sided more than once. We were very lucky not to get a turnover. I was looking for some adjustment (as I got the "feel") in our pre-snap formation to get some help when we dropped back to pass. Still waiting.

I guess you mean help from a running back. Otherwise, it just leaves someone else unblocked. At some point you just have to hope the LT can get it done.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It did seem like they had very wide splits between NG and DT on that play. I was actually hoping to see Graham walk up under center and run just to the left of the center. When I realized he wasn't going to do that, I thought maybe a chance to get wide, or give Mason a chance for a cut back on a toss might be the call.

I honestly was hoping for a short pass. Success running, even outside, was sporadic. But success doing anything was sporadic.

slugboy

Staff member
@Ibeeballin what is Oregon State running? (I’m not usually awake for Pac10/12 after dark, but I caught ASU v Oregon)

@smartfootball: One of my favorite things about his offense. Obviously when he has a super stud (ie, Crabtree) that guy vacuums up targets, but it tends to happen naturally. Otherwise he makes you defend everyone.

@smartfootball: Whew, Wazzu has played in some wild ones this year (and 600 passing yards!). Also Oregon State is definitely on the upswing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
In watching replays of all GT football games that I’ve recorded on my television’s DVR this season to date, I’ve never seen Coach Patenaude holding a play sheet in his hands while he has been up in the booth. He has always been shown standing up in the booth, too. He hasn’t been shown sitting down at a table up there in the booth, either.

I don’t know what all of this means, in any one way or another.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Where are the screens and short passes? The ones that work that is. What I don't get is our Mon thru Thurs prep seems to generate no effective scripted plays. We often punt after 1st 3 plays. This is no time for a change, but CGC seems like the HC variety that will live and die with OC and DC Co-ords, so the leash needs to be short, imo. The Board of Directors--TStan might give the CEO--CGC, a nudge here, IF needed.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
In watching replays of all GT football games that I’ve recorded on my television’s DVR this season to date, I’ve never seen Coach Patenaude holding a play sheet in his hands while he has been up in the booth. He has always been shown standing up in the booth, too. He hasn’t been shown sitting down at a table up there in the booth, either.

Our last OC didn’t hold a play sheet ever.

LibertyTurns

Banned

He’s probably amazed some of his play calls actually work.