Dave Patenaude's Offense

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
CDP is in a tough situation, so I’m not ready to give up on his offense. CPJ is a tough act to follow. Coaches who could match CPJ as an in-game offensive tactician are few and far between. We were bound for a downgrade in at least certain aspects for whoever the new OC was realistically going to be. I think CDP’s play calling has mostly been fine, although I do miss how fast our running plays could hit in CPJs system. I’m hopeful that Brent Key can get our OL in order, and we’ll see if this staff can develop talented QBs, because I think we have a few, not including the one who is one of our best defensive players (not bad for a coach who didn’t recruit). If JG is the answer he’s going to have to make the easy throws, continue to improve his situational awareness, and stop turning into a turnover machine when plays break down. This offense needs to execute better, and our strength staff needs to get this OL closer to what this offense requires, along with one or two of our OL recruits validating this “elite” recruiting we’re now doing.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
CDP is in a tough situation, so I’m not ready to give up on his offense. CPJ is a tough act to follow. Coaches who could match CPJ as an in-game offensive tactician are few and far between. We were bound for a downgrade in at least certain aspects for whoever the new OC was realistically going to be. I think CDP’s play calling has mostly been fine, although I do miss how fast our running plays could hit in CPJs system. I’m hopeful that Brent Key can get our OL in order, and we’ll see if this staff can develop talented QBs, because I think we have a few, not including the one who is one of our best defensive players (not bad for a coach who didn’t recruit). If JG is the answer he’s going to have to make the easy throws, continue to improve his situational awareness, and stop turning into a turnover machine when plays break down. This offense needs to execute better, and our strength staff needs to get this OL closer to what this offense requires, along with one or two of our OL recruits validating this “elite” recruiting we’re now doing.
I think he deserves a little more time, i am tired and pissed when we do not go under center when it is a half yard or less. It blows my mind. Whatever happened to the QB sneak.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I don’t care if you are the smartest guy in the room, the gun is not built for third and short. You have to keep defenses guessing. You exploit weaknesses, you use your strengths, use misdirection, short drag routes, quick passes, screens, unbalanced line, and quick tosses. He needs to spend the off season watching every successful play that has been used in the past ten years. Friedgen was a master of this. I forget how many hours of plays he had catalogued.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don’t care if you are the smartest guy in the room, the gun is not built for third and short. You have to keep defenses guessing. You exploit weaknesses, you use your strengths, use misdirection, short drag routes, quick passes, screens, unbalanced line, and quick tosses. He needs to spend the off season watching every successful play that has been used in the past ten years. Friedgen was a master of this. I forget how many hours of plays he had catalogued.

I watched some of the Ga. vs T A & M game. The Aggies lined up in shotgun on 4th and inches. Gary Danielson, who I generally like as announcer, went off on that. He said why turn a 4th and inches into a 4th and 7 by handing off so deep in the backfield or wtte. I loved his rant on the topic as I (and many of us) apparently agree. Needless to say, the play was blown up for a 3 yard loss.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I watched some of the Ga. vs T A & M game. The Aggies lined up in shotgun on 4th and inches. Gary Danielson, who I generally like as announcer, went off on that. He said why turn a 4th and inches into a 4th and 7 by handing off so deep in the backfield or wtte. I loved his rant on the topic as I (and many of us) apparently agree. Needless to say, the play was blown up for a 3 yard loss.
Please watch the NFL this weekend and tell me no pro teams lines up in shotgun on third and one or fourth and one.

In the nfl it is only 4% more likely to convert third or fourth and short from under center vs shotgun. If you are a primarily gun team, that number might get closer. I harped early on that we were 100% in the gun, but we now also go under center. Balance is a good thing and forces opposing D to prepare more.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I know I was spoiled by one of the best offensive minds in college football. CDP has big shoes to fill.

But ending up last in the ACC in offense does not instill much confidence in his coaching ability. (I know injuries have been egregious)

Something that has bothered me this season is the number of touches Mason gets. (And Oliver too) The ATL thing with running backs confuses/frustrates me.

This is my opinion, but seems there is a drop off in production with Mason out. He also seems to be the best pass blocker.

I guess my concern is that to meet the standard of ATL, how many carries does the rotation require per running back?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The entire FSU staff is probably going to get fired...which means Kendall Briles will be available, though there are indications that FSU would like to retain him as OC if the next coach is open to it. I know he's got some baggage from his days at Baylor, but that guy is an offensive savant. FSU is finally getting what they thought they would with Briles now that Taggert is gone and Briles can coach the offense the way he wants it without Taggert interfering.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I just really want to see the QB under center in short yardage situations and let JP pound the ball up the holes. It makes no sense why Pnut lines JP up and brings him in motion across the LOS. It's so predictable and rarely results in positive yardage. I expect Georgia's defense to completely eat it up every single time. It will not work one time. Period. If we get shutout for the 3rd time this year (Temple was a shutout) then Pnut has to go.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Please watch the NFL this weekend and tell me no pro teams lines up in shotgun on third and one or fourth and one.

In the nfl it is only 4% more likely to convert third or fourth and short from under center vs shotgun. If you are a primarily gun team, that number might get closer. I harped early on that we were 100% in the gun, but we now also go under center. Balance is a good thing and forces opposing D to prepare more.

New England does the QB Sneak more than anybody. They also win more than anybody.

yrp

Jolly Good Fellow
I know I was spoiled by one of the best offensive minds in college football. CDP has big shoes to fill.

But ending up last in the ACC in offense does not instill much confidence in his coaching ability. (I know injuries have been egregious)

Something that has bothered me this season is the number of touches Mason gets. (And Oliver too) The ATL thing with running backs confuses/frustrates me.

This is my opinion, but seems there is a drop off in production with Mason out. He also seems to be the best pass blocker.

I guess my concern is that to meet the standard of ATL, how many carries does the rotation require per running back?

In terms of fatigue and injury risk, I think it makes sense to rotate the backs a little bit. I'm pretty sure everyone does it

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
I was just about to post that A&M was doing the same thing this past Saturday, but you already did... I believe it cost them in that game, among other things like the non-calls by the officials. It blows my mind that even savvy and seasoned coaches like Jimbo Fisher would do that in those situations. Unless you have a Tim Tebow or Sam Ehlinger at QB, or you have a massive quick OL that can get defenses out of the way, it makes absolutely no sense to run short-yardage plays from six yards deep in your backfield. All it takes is just a little penetration, and the run is stuffed.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It is curious you say the run game isn't working and I agree to a point. Handing it off up the middle or 9 yards deep when you need less than a yard is not working. But when we run to the outside and ruin the speed option it is quite effective. And why don't we try some jet type of plays like Duke did to us out of CPJs offense. What I see killing us is not utilizing what is working and throwing too much. Yesterday we ran the ball 40 times and threw it 35. I think it should be 50 25. Duke ran the ball 55 and threw it 20.
Great point about Jet actions.

We need to take pressure off the center. Tobias O or Sanders - run or swing route.

Do we run Jet action?? Seems like we are pretty utm or off tackle w o Jet action.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
I wouldn’t run much if any lateral plays in the backfield against that defense. They are too fast. Too big. If you are going to run. Run off tackle.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
"Running" out of the gun against ugag's already fast D front, makes them even faster. If we had their 3rd & 4th best DTs, we'd be 5-6 right now.

Jones and Stackhouse .......come on down!!!

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
I was just about to post that A&M was doing the same thing this past Saturday, but you already did... I believe it cost them in that game, among other things like the non-calls by the officials. It blows my mind that even savvy and seasoned coaches like Jimbo Fisher would do that in those situations. Unless you have a Tim Tebow or Sam Ehlinger at QB, or you have a massive quick OL that can get defenses out of the way, it makes absolutely no sense to run short-yardage plays from six yards deep in your backfield. All it takes is just a little penetration, and the run is stuffed.

Interestingly enough.

7A8B59E0-762A-43B5-A271-FD39263A5494.jpeg

GTFLETCH

Banned
Why We Are Struggling
We have an inexperienced QB coupled with an OLine that is being transitioned to pass block AND the OLine is injured and has new and walk on players.

What does this mean?

It means we need better coaching. I do not care about the scheme as long as it is coached well. We have piss poor coaching up to this point. It will be interesting to see what happens in the off-season... But coaching has been Below The Line ALL season...

For what it is worth...
I do not buy the injury excuse for our OL.. Defoor(ole Miss Transfer) Southers (Vandy Transfer) Davis (UConn Transfer) plus Quinney has started all year...yes two spots were up for grabs.... But again...Brent Key is suppose to be this great OL coach and you have three transfers to work with... Below The Line coaching... I thought we were getting the Bama Brent Key not the UCF 0-12 Brent Key..

Last edited: