Dave Patenaude's Offense

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yeah you are right it wasn't the same kind of bad. In 2015 , we could have had major injuries across our both DL and OL, lost our most veteran WR, started a walk-on at center, had other walk-ons forced to play meaningful snaps at various positions, only had 8 seniors available to play, returned very little production on offense, all while transitioning to a completely different offense that required skills and body types that were drastically different than the offense we had been running for 11 years. That would have been much harder to deal with.....

I don't think he was arguing that 2019 was easier than 2015. I predicted us to win 4 games because of the transition. With the injuries, we were lucky to win 3.

As for 2015, we had 12 SRs on scholly, and lost 4 of those to either injury or academics during the course of the season, including all world Adam Gotsis. We also had walk ons that started several times during the year as well. The biggest difference is that we were competitive for almost every game that year. We almost never got blown out. We lost a lot of close games. As was said, 2015 and 2019, although they ended with identical records, really can't be compared fairly. Last year CGC was dealt a rough hand, and I do not hold the record against him, but to blame CPJ for last season is asinine, which was why I responded to the ridiculous post above to begin with.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Really terrible job of coaching with your own recruits suited for an option system is what it sounds like.

B4229B64A28FE72C6439232BFDA6833463556D0D

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Thread has definitely jumped the tracks. Worse, it has morphed into bafflingly innane CPJ vs CGC thread. To think, I opened expecting some discussion of our CDP's offense.

Oh well, the actual thread topic re CDP is itself getting dead horsey. There are those who say CDP sux and the O should have better, those who say it's too early to judge, and those who think we are on the right track and just need some time.

Pretty much every argument imaginable has been put forth, and yet no one's opinion hath changed. But you know what? It's the offseason! What the hell else can we discuss?

So what the hell, here is my opinion beatches: Combined OL starts, which have the highest correlation of which I am aware of to wins, predicted decisively we would suck on offense last year. Combo with new scheme & new OL tech iques/OL picked to run a uniquely different O/lack of OL numbers overall and it was very easy for analysts to predict we would suck last year.

Throw in an undermanned DL with no proven pass rusher, and there you have it.

There is a reason "football is a game of the trenches" is an axiom. You can start a different QB, hire different OC, do whatever, and you are still going to suck if you aren't good in the trenches.

So you mofos who say fire CDP, well you could be right. I am at a loss to tell myself. If we have an OL like the gaggers and our O is still stale, then hell yeah can the OC.

Take that deceased equine!

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think he was arguing that 2019 was easier than 2015. I predicted us to win 4 games because of the transition. With the injuries, we were lucky to win 3.

As for 2015, we had 12 SRs on scholly, and lost 4 of those to either injury or academics during the course of the season, including all world Adam Gotsis. We also had walk ons that started several times during the year as well. The biggest difference is that we were competitive for almost every game that year. We almost never got blown out. We lost a lot of close games. As was said, 2015 and 2019, although they ended with identical records, really can't be compared fairly. Last year CGC was dealt a rough hand, and I do not hold the record against him, but to blame CPJ for last season is asinine, which was why I responded to the ridiculous post above to begin with.
In 2015, the team was severely depleted but I believe they stayed competitive in large part because they had a veteran leader in JT at the helm. In addition, while there were new starters at various positions they had still been recruited to that offense and (with the exception of any TRUE freshman) had at least a year more of practice and work within that offense. In 2019, they experienced similar losses but also had to deal with everyone having less than a year of learning a new offense that most of the players are not built to operate in and no real veteran leadership on the field. That is where I see the biggest differences in the competitiveness of the two teams.

I think overall we are on the same page. I don't feel that the records in 2015 or 2019 can be blamed on either coaching staff (at least primarily). These seasons are mainly a result of unfortunate circumstances. I did not intend for my post to be a knock on any coaching staff but just to highlight the additional issues that this year had to face compared to 2015.

Jmonty71

Banned
If CDP cannot properly teach the QBs pass progression, I would suggest they hire a QB coach that can. I haven't looked, but who is our QB coach? I think part of our success or failure on offense falls on the QB coach, as much as it does Patenaude. With any RPO, it really all starts with the QB. Well, I guess most offenses are like that. I think CDP is too conservative, but again... May have been due to talent reasons too. Will be interesting to see if he opens the O up more, this next season.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
In 2015, the team was severely depleted but I believe they stayed competitive in large part because they had a veteran leader in JT at the helm. In addition, while there were new starters at various positions they had still been recruited to that offense and (with the exception of any TRUE freshman) had at least a year more of practice and work within that offense. In 2019, they experienced similar losses but also had to deal with everyone having less than a year of learning a new offense that most of the players are not built to operate in and no real veteran leadership on the field. That is where I see the biggest differences in the competitiveness of the two teams.

I think overall we are on the same page. I don't feel that the records in 2015 or 2019 can be blamed on either coaching staff (at least primarily). These seasons are mainly a result of unfortunate circumstances. I did not intend for my post to be a knock on any coaching staff but just to highlight the additional issues that this year had to face compared to 2015.

I agree. While both of those seasons were train wrecks that were largely not caused by coaching, there are still a few areas in each season where poor coaching played a part. (but that's true even in the good seasons) My original point stands. It's just too soon to effectively judge any member of this coaching staff. We will know a little more next year and a LOT more by the end of 2021.

That's probably the only legitimate criticism of CGC & CDP so far. Even in a bad year we should have beaten the Citadel by several scores.
When folks try to bring up 2015 as a comparison to last year it just is more CPJ bashing. 2015 we had lost 10 O starters and then went through a slew of injuries. We beat Fla St and almost won 3 more games that were last minute losses. We lost to UGA by 6. It is the continued CPJ bashing that I will continue to answer to. When our current staff wins the Coastal Division...then I will sit up and say OK.

Jmonty71

Banned
It's awful hard to make your second and third reads when scrambling for your life behind a patchwork OL...
Even still there are hot routes and other things can be used. Falls on proper teaching. Yes, the Falcons prove that no matter the QB, a crappy OL leads to issues. But, even Ryan can still make reads.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
“we have taken...”. Hell, we had no choice. Most of the staff couldn’t recruit, had their hands tied, or good S/As wanted nothing to do with system. Not to mention an untouchable, guaranteed for life contract Asst coach that could not even remember the name of a kid he was talking to face to face.
Okay, you hooked me. Who is this coach?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If CDP cannot properly teach the QBs pass progression, I would suggest they hire a QB coach that can. I haven't looked, but who is our QB coach? I think part of our success or failure on offense falls on the QB coach, as much as it does Patenaude. With any RPO, it really all starts with the QB. Well, I guess most offenses are like that. I think CDP is too conservative, but again... May have been due to talent reasons too. Will be interesting to see if he opens the O up more, this next season.
LOL! CDP is the OC/QB Coach.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Even still there are hot routes and other things can be used. Falls on proper teaching. Yes, the Falcons prove that no matter the QB, a crappy OL leads to issues. But, even Ryan can still make reads.

You need to rewatch some video from last year. It was a common occurrence for the DL to have penetration almost instantaneously after the snap. Add to that the fact that NONE of our starting QBs had any P5 offers to play QB and you have the recipe for the disaster we witnessed last season.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and this offensive transition wasn't ever going to be smooth.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
“Even Ryan can still make reads.” Even Ryan? What does that mean? Yeah one of the best QBs in NFL history can make reads? Obviously he can. Like @Augusta_Jacket said, none of the QBs on the roster had another P5 offer to play QB. There’s probably good reason for that. “There are still hot routes”? Dude. If the DL can create pressure on every play, even when they only rush 4 guys, hot routes do literally nothing. You can “hot route” every player on the field if you wanted to, it’s not going to affect anything if there’s no time to throw the ball, and no space to run. Like I said in an earlier post, none of the QBs that played proved they could complete short to intermediate depth passes consistently. When that happens, the D loads up the box. That’s why Brown was able to beat people down the field, because often times there was no help if he burnt his guy. When the OL is no longer patch work of walk-one and rejected backups this year, I think CDP is going to surprise a lot of people with how good his “scheme” is.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We beat fsu, 6 of our losses were one score losses you're right. His scheme did its job he had true freshman with no time in system giving more talented teams all they could handle.
Going into 14 there were some nay sayers about cpj. He hit a hot streak with a senior ladened team. It appeared the ol solution had been found. I think we tech fans agree that the last 4 games are legendary.

With most of the ol returning we gave cpj a good raise and a good contract. The post raise record was disappointing. After winning orange bowl , I thought we were on a roll. Turns out se needed a sr ladened team and a new ol scheme to be successful.