Dante Wigley

Status
Not open for further replies.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
How was @DrJacket's post overly vague? A student-athlete announced he is transferring, and a poster (who you know has firsthand knowledge of the situation) said he wished the student-athlete got better advice. I don't see how that is so vague that you can't come to a reasonable conclusion. I mean what other advice is contextually relevant? I realize engineers need to see everything in black and white, but this is so nitpicky it's ridiculous.

He could have received bad advice about coming to Tech in the first place. He could have received bad advice about how many hours to take. He could have received bad advice having to do with just football regarding likelihood of playing time or position.

Moreover, "bad" is itself ambiguous. Bad for him? From what perspective? Football goals or life goals? Both?

Now, of course, we can all assume that we have the interpretation that makes the most sense, but isn't it better if the author clarifies?

Heck, I thought, "That's about right on all counts" was clear until I was told I got that wrong. Apparently, "about right" could mean "possibly not right" else it would be confirmation.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
He could have received bad advice about coming to Tech in the first place. He could have received bad advice about how many hours to take. He could have received bad advice having to do with just football regarding likelihood of playing time or position.

Moreover, "bad" is itself ambiguous. Bad for him? From what perspective? Football goals or life goals? Both?

Now, of course, we can all assume that we have the interpretation that makes the most sense, but isn't it better if the author clarifies?

Heck, I thought, "That's about right on all counts" was clear until I was told I got that wrong. Apparently, "about right" could mean "possibly not right" else it would be confirmation.

I get where you're coming from, I just think it's all about context. Also, "bad advice" was my term. OP used "better advice" (not that it makes much of a difference anyway). IMO any of those reasons you listed above (coming to GT originally, class schedule, position change) were so unlikely to be what @DrJacket was referring to, given the context of the post/situation, that it was pointless to ask for clarification.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
For whatever reason, Dante decided GT wasn't for him. It's not for everybody, that much is for sure, in fact that subset is pretty small. That's why recruiting is so darn hard if you didn't know.

Anyway, it's hard to know for sure until you try it. He tried it and didn't like it or was told he was better off somewhere else. I nearly flunked out my first qtr at GT. I could have walked away or I could have doubled down. I decided to double down and haven't regretted it one day. But that's me, not Dante.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I get where you're coming from, I just think it's all about context. Also, "bad advice" was my term. OP used "better advice" (not that it makes much of a difference anyway). IMO any of those reasons you listed above (coming to GT originally, class schedule, position change) were so unlikely to be what @DrJacket was referring to, given the context of the post/situation, that it was pointless to ask for clarification.

Bully for you I guess. I've seen a lot of wasted time on guys talking past each other, so I thought it best to just ask for clarification. If your interpretation was so obvious, why didn't he just say that?

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
If your interpretation was so obvious, why didn't he just say that?

Because he clearly can't. The whole point of leaving this up for interpretation is because he has relationships in the program that may sour if he came on here getting too specific. That is the whole point.

I guess you're saying you would have rather him not said anything than what he said, because you think the vagueness renders it meaningless. And that's where we will have to agree to disagree.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Because he clearly can't. The whole point of leaving this up for interpretation is because he has relationships in the program that may sour if he came on here getting too specific. That is the whole point.

I guess you're saying you would have rather him not said anything than what he said, because you think the vagueness renders it meaningless. And that's where we will have to agree to disagree.

Again, no one was asking him to be more specific than he was when he said, "that's about right on both counts" in response to a speculation. He was able to say that.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Talk about much ado about nothing. Lets move on just as Dante has. Best of luck, hope you are making an educated decision.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Talk about much ado about nothing. Lets move on just as Dante has. Best of luck, hope you are making an educated decision.
Best post of 2016 ... People have to understand , some people on here know a lot more than they will post . Just get excited about the Student / Athletes that are here . They are going to bust *** this spring , to make sure 2016 is better .

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Earthquake alert!
I am seeing where 87 is coming from on the very general nature of the comment begging for an explanation.
In the world of GT gave this young man a scholarship based on his perceived abilities. In addition they allowed him time to mature in preparation to be a contributor. This young man was likewise willing to dedicate a good portion of his time and talent to helping gt be sucessful.
To think this goung man made this sudden change on his own and without getting advice is a very low probability.

Without details from doc there are several scenarios.

So the young man could have the obvious academic concerns like Cheese had . It could be girlfriend at home issues like me I had.
It could be a players concern of being buried on depth chart ( either fairly or unfairly) and demanding playing time now (my son as freshman left the one college to have to walk on at another school - later added 60# muscle and started his senior yr). All of these problems worked out for the good in the long term but sere tough ones for a teenager.

Now I think its obvious to us all , DOC has some info in the athletics dept.

Sometimes worst advice is in getting some one to make a decision now.

Its obvious gt still wants him.
I really wish he was staying.
I am forever 100 percent happy I did.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Best post of 2016 ... People have to understand , some people on here know a lot more than they will post . Just get excited about the Student / Athletes that are here . They are going to bust *** this spring , to make sure 2016 is better .

smh Everybody understands that. For the 100th time, it's not about that. I've been wanting to move-on since @DrJacket replied to @Northeast Stinger, but people kept trying to make it out like I was asking for more information or proof or whatever. I was satisfied.

It's very simple from my perspective. @DrJacket made a post with the intention of communicating something and avoiding misinformation. I was unclear what that was and asked what I considered a pretty straight-forward question of clarification. In my mind, it seemed obvious that he would not want to come on here and just say that at some time in his life he could've received better advice. So, I expected that he'd come back and say something like "in the weeks leading up to the decision" or "in dealing with the challenges at Tech" or whatever. By saying that Stinger's guess was "about right," he basically gave that limited amount of clarifying information which I asked for. So, it is simply not the case that anybody in this thread was asking for more information than he was able to share. He eventually shared the information at the level of my question--even if the details weren't 100%.

I respect you and @DrJacket and anyone elsse for sharing what you can share and holding back with what you cannot. So, let's not make straw-men to burn down. No one in this thread, that I could see, was guilty of what you accuse people of.

Status
Not open for further replies.