Dante Wigley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Maybe the better advice should have been before he signed on, or it may be what you meant. But if one semester was enough to tell him a technical gig was not in his future, then good for him. Move before you throw a very short football career away, and don't waste anybody's time.
I respect that Dr. Jacket can say no more. I would interpret the advice part to mean something like this. His progress at Tech, like it is for MOST football players, was not as fast as he would like. And school is hard. Someone put a bug in his ear that he might be better suited somewhere else and he might see the field faster and might be able to become a star more quickly. Or something like that.

Good advice would not necessarily be advice that talks him into staying at Tech. Good advice would be advice that discussed the hard work and payoff that comes from sticking it out at Tech while explaining that he needs to be clear about why he wants to transfer. And that transferring is not a magic bullet that will instantly make him a better student athlete.

Or something like that. ;)

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
That's about right. On all counts.

But, you guys win. I think it's time for me to relegate myself to being an occasional "lurker" here on GTSwarm. In an entitled culture that feels that it merits complete transparency, it does no good for people like me to remind that there is another side to the story. Because then you just demand the other side to the story. Which I can't give.

Of course, un-countered, the speculation and misinformation that can accumulate just becomes fact by virtue of getting repeated and added to. That's sad. I've tried. It's just not worth the drama.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

But, you guys win. I think it's time for me to relegate myself to being an occasional "lurker" here on GTSwarm. In an entitled culture that feels that it merits complete transparency, it does no good for people like me to remind that there is another side to the story. Because then you just demand the other side to the story. Which I can't give.

Of course, un-countered, the speculation and misinformation that can accumulate just becomes fact by virtue of getting repeated and added to. That's sad. I've tried. It's just not worth the drama.

FYI, you don't counter misinformation with no information. All you had to do was say something like "bad advice on how to respond to challenges at Tech" or whatever.

I also respect limits on what you can say but you should be able to explain what you mean by what you say. Your confirmation of the previous post proves it.

Regardless, I agree that if you can't say something clearly, it's best to say nothing.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Dr Jacket has provided valuable insight on multiple occasions. He's not seeking attention when he's brief, he's respecting his sources. Sometimes it's up to us read between the lines and fill in the blanks. At the very least, we can eliminate certain scenarios.

I certainly hope Dr Jacket realizes there's many more who appreciate his input than do not. Remember Doc, when wrestle with a pig, the pig has fun while you get dirty.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I appreciate the position you are in and hope you will reconsider and not become a lurker. I have always valued the information you have felt comfortable sharing and look forward to your insider's perspective. It is a shame that in today's world of "show me your proof" way of thinking people tend to be distrustful of any information that is shared. Sadly, even if proof of the facts are presented, doubts of those facts linger because people are going to believe what they want to believe.

@DrJacket, thank you for all your contributions, insights, and unique perspective.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Our current culture is that way to many folks believe they are an expert on everything.
Way to many folks believe they know more about the sport under discussion that the coaches;
yet none of them give up their current career to go into coaching to become the next Saban or Coach K.
I find that telling.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I appreciate the position you are in and hope you will reconsider and not become a lurker. I have always valued the information you have felt comfortable sharing and look forward to your insider's perspective. It is a shame that in today's world of "show me your proof" way of thinking people tend to be distrustful of any information that is shared. Sadly, even if proof of the facts are presented, doubts of those facts linger because people are going to believe what they want to believe.

@DrJacket, thank you for all your contributions, insights, and unique perspective.

Where is there anyone posting "show me your proof?" I asked, basically, "What do you mean?" When someone else answered my question in speculation, @DrJacket confirmed it, so it's not the case that he had to keep this explanation secret for his source, contra @dressedcheeseside.

Let's not make this situation into something it's not. It was not about looking for more information. It was not about looking for proof of information. It was about looking for clarity about what information he was trying to communicate. He eventually gave it when he confirmed another's guess. That's it.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Where is there anyone posting "show me your proof?" I asked, basically, "What do you mean?" When someone else answered my question in speculation, @DrJacket confirmed it, so it's not the case that he had to keep this explanation secret for his source, contra @dressedcheeseside.

Let's not make this situation into something it's not. It was not about looking for more information. It was not about looking for proof of information. It was about looking for clarity about what information he was trying to communicate. He eventually gave it when he confirmed another's guess. That's it.
Don't read too much into my "confirmation." What I meant was that those were good examples of the kind of thing it could be. I wish Dante the best and hope his plans work out.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Don't read too much into my "confirmation." What I meant was that those were good examples of the kind of thing it could be. I wish Dante the best and hope his plans work out.

Like I said. I have generally enjoyed your posts on this site. I just don't understand the rationale behind posting intentionally vague assertions that cannot be validated. There just seems to be no purpose to it. The only conclusions that can logically be derived from your post are that you know more than we do and cannot divulge it. So again, what purpose does it serve? I apologize if that offended you.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Like I said. I have generally enjoyed your posts on this site. I just don't understand the rationale behind posting intentionally vague assertions that cannot be validated. There just seems to be no purpose to it. The only conclusions that can logically be derived from your post are that you know more than we do and cannot divulge it. So again, what purpose does it serve? I apologize if that offended you.
My having done so served the purpose of at least nudging the conversation toward recognizing that there are specific factors that-- you're right--- you don't know. Yet, the program may not be able to make those known. So, if a given topic has been going off on a tangent and that reminder needs to be served...that was the purpose. And, it did have merit even though I was never going to dish the details (and I never will).

I value the relationships I have far more than I do the need to satisfy the curiosities of anonymous strangers.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
My having done so served the purpose of at least nudging the conversation toward recognizing that there are specific factors that-- you're right--- you don't know. Yet, the program may not be able to make those known. So, if a given topic has been going off on a tangent and that reminder needs to be served...that was the purpose. And, it did have merit even though I was never going to dish the details (and I never will).

I value the relationships I have far more than I do the need to satisfy the curiosities of anonymous strangers.

That's the thing. Neither AE 87 or I were asking for more details, we just didn't understand the purpose of an overly vague post. It's not uncommon to see vague posts that are, in effect, fishing for inquiry. For example, that friend everyone has on facebook who always posts something like: "I hate it when people do that!" It's overly vague and designed to elicit a response. AE 87 and I were just trying to figure out what response you were trying to elicit. I respect that you cannot divulge personal info and NEVER asked you to. I also respect a students right to make the best decision for himself no matter what the fanbase thinks. I always have.

Trying to keep a thread on tracks around here is like herding cats, so I give you credit for trying.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
That's the thing. Neither AE 87 or I were asking for more details, we just didn't understand the purpose of an overly vague post. It's not uncommon to see vague posts that are, in effect, fishing for inquiry. For example, that friend everyone has on facebook who always posts something like: "I hate it when people do that!" It's overly vague and designed to elicit a response. AE 87 and I were just trying to figure out what response you were trying to elicit. I respect that you cannot divulge personal info and NEVER asked you to. I also respect a students right to make the best decision for himself no matter what the fanbase thinks. I always have.

Trying to keep a thread on tracks around here is like herding cats, so I give you credit for trying.

How was @DrJacket's post overly vague? A student-athlete announced he is transferring, and a poster (who you know has firsthand knowledge of the situation) said he wished the student-athlete got better advice. I don't see how that is so vague that you can't come to a reasonable conclusion. I mean what other advice is contextually relevant? I realize engineers need to see everything in black and white, but this is so nitpicky it's ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.