Damon Stoudamire

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Gregory left one player who had played 50% of the team's minutes the prior year (and he barely cleared half.) This is such a silly take.

Pastner is no longer here because he couldn't consistently recruit. There is no reason to throw shade at the couple of things he did successfully.

Also, mentioning the UVA forfeit and leaving out that the ACC player of the year didn't play in the close loss in the NCAAT is a clearly biased position.
Thank you. I just don’t understand why a Tech fan would want to piss all over a championship year. Had Covid protocols not taken out our hottest player at that time we could have made a deep run.

slugboy

Staff member
Let’s not forget the asterisk associated with only having to win two games. The UVA forfeit in the semi-finals was truly a gift from the Hoop Gods. The regular season and the subsequent first-round exit, showed our weaknesses.
Also, an N.I.T. run with CBG’s players and one other post-season tournament in 7 years, is nothing to get overly excited about.
Was the forfeit a gift for us, or for UVA?

We were hot going into the tournament, and we were hot in the tournament. We took apart a loaded FSU team in the title game.

Find Jose Alvarado and ask him if we’d have beaten UVA. Ask anyone who played on the team.

That team played with a lot of heart. I hope Stoudamire inspires the same in our current players

AUFC

Helluva Engineer

We were hot going into the tournament, and we were hot in the tournament. We took apart a loaded FSU team in the title game.

Find Jose Alvarado and ask him if we’d have beaten UVA. Ask anyone who played on the team.

That team played with a lot of heart. I hope Stoudamire inspires the same in our current players
The day of rest before FSU was nice but I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again: there is no way that team was losing to UVA 3 times that season after how the first 2 games went down.

Moses’s COVID was too bad and it also sucked that they underseeded us, then stuck us against another team that was underseeded.

yjfan

Jolly Good Fellow

I hope Stoudamire can find some players with the heart and grittiness of Alvarado and Usher

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Let’s not forget the asterisk associated with only having to win two games. The UVA forfeit in the semi-finals was truly a gift from the Hoop Gods. The regular season and the subsequent first-round exit, showed our weaknesses.
Also, an N.I.T. run with CBG’s players and one other post-season tournament in 7 years, is nothing to get overly excited about.

The hell is this post?

The regular season showed our weakness? We went 11-6 with clearly the hardest schedule in conference. We would have finished 3rd except VT missed nearly a third of their conference schedule mostly against better teams. We won 2 of 3 against FSU and both our games against UVA were close. We may have lost to UVA but there's no reason to believe we couldn't have won especially considering how we were playing going in and how UVA somewhat limped to the finish. Our NCAAT game was played without our conference player of the year and even then it was a 5 point game at the last media timeout.

Also I just laugh at people who retroactively try to give credit to gregory for Pastner's first year success.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
No asterisk. We played the games. We won. Period.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Here's the official ACCMBBT Record book. I checked, there are no asterisks...

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Thank you. I just don’t understand why a Tech fan would want to piss all over a championship year. Had Covid protocols not taken out our hottest player at that time we could have made a deep run.
We won the ACC Championship, period! Pastner never beat Bennett. Glad we didn’t play UVA in that ACC Tournament.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I really liked Pastner and wished he could have been successful, but the vibe around GT Basketball feels like the early Bobby Cremins years. Damon Stoudamire has me believing the program is really on the rise.

This is an exciting time to be a GT fan. A new AD that's made a noticeable difference with decision making and ability to raise money to make the changes, newish football coach that took over during the season and went 4-4 with a subpar QB situation and a staff that wasn't his, new basketball coach that's saying all the right things and has improved our roster in less than half a year. IMO, the biggest thing for GT fans to get excited about is having a GT President that emphasizes the importance of GT athletics and doesn't treat the GTAA like a redheaded stepchild of the Institute.

I have a good feeling the GT is headed for another Golden Era under Cabrera, Batt, and the two coaches of our flagship programs.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Somebody link me to the Damon Stoudamire thread.

Aye, atleast when I derail a thread, yall get a few laughs out of the deal.

Someone should throw a penalty flag! He said “with CBG’s players…LOL

Seriously, Damon Stoudamire is on the precipice of having GT back in the spotlight. It is definitely an exciting time to be a GT hoops fan again.

We’re going to secure some big commitments soon, and if we can pull together our NIL act, we will land some real blue chips.

Can’t wait to soon meet kg01 at the Sweet 16!!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Gregory left one player who had played 50% of the team's minutes the prior year (and he barely cleared half.) This is such a silly take.

Pastner is no longer here because he couldn't consistently recruit. There is no reason to throw shade at the couple of things he did successfully.

Also, mentioning the UVA forfeit and leaving out that the ACC player of the year didn't play in the close loss in the NCAAT is a clearly biased position.
Yes, DTM already beat me up when I wanted Pastner’s hide before year 3 was over. When the Memphis folks were thanking us for taking him, I thought; well at least he can recruit. I was wrong thinking that.

When Coach Gregory told me in front of my son about the Sophomore recruiting jinx for not having success in that early signing period, I about fell over. That was a new one for me.

Biased? Guilty as charged.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket

That would have been an extra game to play, before NC St. on Sunday. We will never know if Tech would have won three in a row. NC St. had to try to do it, if memory serves. I know what Jose would say, because he and Moses were the heart and soul of that team. He’s an overachiever. No doubt his attitude and spunk carried that team.

FWIW, CDS has all the makings of a fine ACC Coach & recruiter. We can agree.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Someone should throw a penalty flag! He said “with CBG’s players…LOL

Seriously, Damon Stoudamire is on the precipice of having GT back in the spotlight. It is definitely an exciting time to be a GT hoops fan again.

We’re going to secure some big commitments soon, and if we can pull together our NIL act, we will land some real blue chips.

Can’t wait to soon meet kg01 at the Sweet 16!!

Yessir!

I'll be bringing the kg's (my 3 sons) to a few games this season, hopefully. New job/travel schedule pending.

Our paths may cross sooner. :cool:

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
The hell is this post?
I just laugh at people who retroactively try to give credit to gregory for Pastner's first year success.
Let’s look at the facts. Gregory won 21 games in his final year in 2015-16. Pastner won 21 games in 2016-17 during his first year. He inherited Josh Okogie, Ben Lammers, Tadric Jackson, Quentin Stephens and Josh Heath as starters. I’m not sure chemistry-wise, we had a better team that entire decade, than what we had those two years.

But please, remember the mediocrity any way you please. i am just happy GT has a President that got involved in cleaning house and hiring people on the Athletic side that care to make changes. CDS has made the roster in the least, look competitive. Will see when the season starts in playing a game, but he shouldn’t be judged with a mostly turned over roster other than Miles & Sturdy.

A little off topic, although I counted 48 staffing members for Tech Football(ramblinwreck.com under FB Staff). That’s showing support!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Let’s look at the facts. Gregory won 21 games in his final year in 2015-16. Pastner won 21 games in 2016-17 during his first year. He inherited Josh Okogie, Ben Lammers, Tadric Jackson, Quentin Stephens and Josh Heath as starters. I’m not sure chemistry-wise, we had a better team that entire decade, than what we had those two years.

But please, remember the mediocrity any way you please. i am just happy GT has a President that got involved in cleaning house and hiring people on the Athletic side that care to make changes. CDS has made the roster in the least, look competitive. Will see when the season starts in playing a game, but he shouldn’t be judged with a mostly turned over roster other than Miles & Sturdy.

A little off topic, although I counted 48 staffing members for Tech Football(ramblinwreck.com under FB Staff). That’s showing support!
What about Coleman?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Okay. Lets look at Gregory's last team. Here are the top players, based on minutes per game and their stat lines.

Hunt - 32.4 mpg 16.7 ppg 3.4 rpg 3.3 apg .9 spg .4 bpg
Smith - 30.5 mpg 15 ppg 2.3 rpg 1.9 apg .4 spg
Mitchell - 25.1 mpg 10.1 ppg 9.7 rpg .6 apg .6 spg .4 pg
Jacobs - 22.7 mpg 10.5 ppg 5.8 rpg .3 apg .4 spg .7 bpg

Notice how those are names you did not mention? Because they all ran out of eligibility Gregory's last year and weren't inherited. Now lets look at the players you mentioned.

Okogie never played for Gregory. Counting him as a gregory player is laughable. He was recruited by gregory but, as we saw this year, committing under one coach doesn't guarantee they'll be here under the next.

Ben Lammers - 14.8 mpg 3.6 ppg 4 rpg .5 apg .3 spg 1.3 bpg
Jackson - 13.8 mpg 4.7 ppg 1.2 rpg 1.2 apg .4 spg
Stephens - 20.1 mpg 5 ppg 3.8 rpg 1.1 apg .3 spg .4 bpg
Heath - 17.6 mpg 2.7 ppg 1.1 rpg 2.8 apg .6 spg .1 bpg
Heyward - played 8 games total at 2.8 mpg. Worth mentioning because he was the only other player that returned under Pastner.
There was also Ogbonda and Gueye redshirting that year.

That's what was inherited by Pastner. That is laughably low returning production no matter how you look at it (to put it in perspective those are Rodney Howard level numbers across the board). The fact they won the same amount of games as the previous year despite losing the top 4 players (and James White who was a similar level of production as the ones who returned) is a testament to what Pastner and the staff did coaching wise and it's why he won ACC CotY.

Also what chemistry are you talking about? Gregory's last team had virtually none and the Pastner's first doesn't hold a candle to the Jose/Mose/Ush/Devoe group we had a few years later.

Will see when the season starts in playing a game, but he shouldn’t be judged with a mostly turned over roster other than Miles & Sturdy.

Here is the returning production CDS is working with.

Kelly - 32.4 mpg 14.4 ppg 3.4 rpg 1.3 apg .7 spg
Terry - 29.6 mpg 10.1 ppg 2.8 rpg 1.2 apg .6 spg
Coleman - 27.3 mpg 9.5 ppg 2.9 rpg 1.3 apg .8 spg
Sturdy - 23.9 mpg 8.6 ppg 2.3 rpg 3.3 apg .7 spg

It's hilarious how returning 4 of the top 5 players from the previous year is a mostly turned over roster while losing the top 4 players is the best of a decade chemistry group.

And the roster turnover we did have wasn't forced. CDS either forced the issue or failed to convince them to stay. Pastner didn't have the opportunity to return the players who were the leaders of the team. Not only did CDS return most of the players who were leaders of last years team, there was also the option to return Smith and Moore whose production was easily better than any that were returning for Pastner. The only player who couldn't have returned for us was Franklin.

Had Pastner stayed the expectations would have been for an NCAAT appearances. 4 of the top 5 players returned, the roster turnover that did happen was largely due to the new coach, and most people believe that the roster turnover improved the roster (as opposed to when Pastner took over where the prevailing thought was we had easily the worst roster in the ACC) but CDS has no expectations?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Okay. Lets look at Gregory's last team. Here are the top players, based on minutes per game and their stat lines.

Hunt - 32.4 mpg 16.7 ppg 3.4 rpg 3.3 apg .9 spg .4 bpg
Smith - 30.5 mpg 15 ppg 2.3 rpg 1.9 apg .4 spg
Mitchell - 25.1 mpg 10.1 ppg 9.7 rpg .6 apg .6 spg .4 pg
Jacobs - 22.7 mpg 10.5 ppg 5.8 rpg .3 apg .4 spg .7 bpg

Notice how those are names you did not mention? Because they all ran out of eligibility Gregory's last year and weren't inherited. Now lets look at the players you mentioned.

Okogie never played for Gregory. Counting him as a gregory player is laughable. He was recruited by gregory but, as we saw this year, committing under one coach doesn't guarantee they'll be here under the next.

Ben Lammers - 14.8 mpg 3.6 ppg 4 rpg .5 apg .3 spg 1.3 bpg
Jackson - 13.8 mpg 4.7 ppg 1.2 rpg 1.2 apg .4 spg
Stephens - 20.1 mpg 5 ppg 3.8 rpg 1.1 apg .3 spg .4 bpg
Heath - 17.6 mpg 2.7 ppg 1.1 rpg 2.8 apg .6 spg .1 bpg
Heyward - played 8 games total at 2.8 mpg. Worth mentioning because he was the only other player that returned under Pastner.
There was also Ogbonda and Gueye redshirting that year.

That's what was inherited by Pastner. That is laughably low returning production no matter how you look at it (to put it in perspective those are Rodney Howard level numbers across the board). The fact they won the same amount of games as the previous year despite losing the top 4 players (and James White who was a similar level of production as the ones who returned) is a testament to what Pastner and the staff did coaching wise and it's why he won ACC CotY.

Also what chemistry are you talking about? Gregory's last team had virtually none and the Pastner's first doesn't hold a candle to the Jose/Mose/Ush/Devoe group we had a few years later.

Here is the returning production CDS is working with.

Kelly - 32.4 mpg 14.4 ppg 3.4 rpg 1.3 apg .7 spg
Terry - 29.6 mpg 10.1 ppg 2.8 rpg 1.2 apg .6 spg
Coleman - 27.3 mpg 9.5 ppg 2.9 rpg 1.3 apg .8 spg
Sturdy - 23.9 mpg 8.6 ppg 2.3 rpg 3.3 apg .7 spg

It's hilarious how returning 4 of the top 5 players from the previous year is a mostly turned over roster while losing the top 4 players is the best of a decade chemistry group.

And the roster turnover we did have wasn't forced. CDS either forced the issue or failed to convince them to stay. Pastner didn't have the opportunity to return the players who were the leaders of the team. Not only did CDS return most of the players who were leaders of last years team, there was also the option to return Smith and Moore whose production was easily better than any that were returning for Pastner. The only player who couldn't have returned for us was Franklin.

Had Pastner stayed the expectations would have been for an NCAAT appearances. 4 of the top 5 players returned, the roster turnover that did happen was largely due to the new coach, and most people believe that the roster turnover improved the roster (as opposed to when Pastner took over where the prevailing thought was we had easily the worst roster in the ACC) but CDS has no expectations?
Lammers played in 2015-16. He was already here. Gotta love how you twisted things around to fit your narrative. Tossing supposition around, loaded with your own conjecture. Someone who wants to spend that much time and space to be right, isn’t worth an argument. Let me know when you want to debate Pastner in a thread dedicated to his 7 years. The bottom line is that he is toast, and CDS is after the best of what was left for the 2023 class, and is making a mad rush to bring in some great 2024 talent.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Lammers played in 2015-16. He was already here. Gotta love how you twisted things around to fit your narrative.

Where did I ever say he wasn't? He was literally the first person I listed in the section on players that returned from Gregory's last year and I gave his stats.