Cuse Postgame

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Haven’t had a chance to comment until now, but congratulations to the players and coaches for getting it done yesterday.

Most of us knew that when you play in the ACC, 6-7 wins should be the bottom at GT. We’ve reached it, & I hope it’s the beginning of never being gutter dwellers again.

Key & the assistants have proven competency. I’m not going to ordain them the coaches that will bring GT to a special season again, but they’ve earned the opportunity to show me & others it can be done again.

Go Jackets!!

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
The problem is we went 5-7 last year.
Holy ****. I’ve been trying not to respond but this is so asinine. Do you remember who we started the season with? Either you’re trolling or a moron. I’m seriously hoping it’s the former. Either way…you’re super close to being put on ignore.

If you haven’t seen improvement I don’t know what to tell you. Trying to understand your expectations. What were they?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Look, a winning record is something to applaud, not complain abut. I thought we had settled all that when TFG was at Tech and all of a sudden the last four years of Paul's regime started to look a lot better. That Key could get Tech to a winning record with as inexperienced a team, with new coordinators on both sides of the line, and a difficult schedule is commendable. What the team needs is two more years of experience and some stability in the coaching staff. By then we might actually look like those UCF teams Key helped coach with George. As near as I can tell, that's what we're aiming for and that will deliver 7 - 8 wins regularly and better every no0w and again. That might mean we won't do much better next year; what we should be trying for is a team of redshirt juniors and seniors who know the systems on both sides of the ball and were recruited to meet their requirements. We don't have that yet. When we do and we stumble into a "mediocre season" I think everybody on this bioard will be gripping.

As to last night:

I didn't go to the game; I hurt my foot helping my son fix the exhaust vent for our dryer. (Btw … Success!) I watched it on tv.
a) By the third quarter I saw that we were getting the Paul treatment: the D had been on the field for some time and the Orange were wearing us out. Then the O came out and either punted or scored way too quickly. If I had one complaint about our OC it is that we do try to score quickly, a la Bama and Ugag; our D isn't up to the consequences of that yet. Maybe by next year.
b) We got good games out of Haynes - who has really improved over the year - and King. King still sometimes throws to where he thinks the WR should be instead of where he is. But he ran well last night and passed adequately. Haynes still can't create holes, but he has gotten to where he can exploit them when they appear. Smith came very close on a couple of runs too.
c) The OL did ok and nothing more. They've improved too, but only marginally. As someone said above they're average. That's a real achievement, hwoever.
d) The D was on the field way too much but obviously the DC had them ready for the new Orange O. If they had had Shrader we might have been in a heap off trouble; he can both run and pass effectively. But the D ready for what came at them and did well under real adversity Toward the end I was afraid that the death marches would collapse them, but they played pretty well when they were gassed
e) Finally, I want to commend the OC and his staff for waking up and deciding to use King in the run game more. That has made our ground game much more effective, imho. Maybe the coaches can get him to put on 10 - 15 pounds and we'll just see.

Soooo … congratulations to the Jackets for getting to 6 games and congratulations to the coaches for that extra month of practice.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Look, a winning record is something to applaud, not complain abut. I thought we had settled all that when TFG was at Tech and all of a sudden the last four years of Paul's regime started to look a lot better. That Key could get Tech to a winning record with as inexperienced a team, with new coordinators on both sides of the line, and a difficult schedule is commendable. What the team needs is two more years of experience and some stability in the coaching staff. By then we might actually look like those UCF teams Key helped coach with George. As near as I can tell, that's what we're aiming for and that will deliver 7 - 8 wins regularly and better every no0w and again. That might mean we won't do much better next year; what we should be trying for is a team of redshirt juniors and seniors who know the systems on both sides of the ball and were recruited to meet their requirements. We don't have that yet. When we do and we stumble into a "mediocre season" I think everybody on this bioard will be gripping.

As to last night:

I didn't go to the game; I hurt my foot helping my son fix the exhaust vent for our dryer. (Btw … Success!) I watched it on tv.
a) By the third quarter I saw that we were getting the Paul treatment: the D had been on the field for some time and the Orange were wearing us out. Then the O came out and either punted or scored way too quickly. If I had one complaint about our OC it is that we do try to score quickly, a la Bama and Ugag; our D isn't up to the consequences of that yet. Maybe by next year.
b) We got good games out of Haynes - who has really improved over the year - and King. King still sometimes throws to where he thinks the WR should be instead of where he is. But he ran well last night and passed adequately. Haynes still can't create holes, but he has gotten to where he can exploit them when they appear. Smith came very close on a couple of runs too.
c) The OL did ok and nothing more. They've improved too, but only marginally. As someone said above they're average. That's a real achievement, hwoever.
d) The D was on the field way too much but obviously the DC had them ready for the new Orange O. If they had had Shrader we might have been in a heap off trouble; he can both run and pass effectively. But the D ready for what came at them and did well under real adversity Toward the end I was afraid that the death marches would collapse them, but they played pretty well when they were gassed
e) Finally, I want to commend the OC and his staff for waking up and deciding to use King in the run game more. That has made our ground game much more effective, imho. Maybe the coaches can get him to put on 10 - 15 pounds and we'll just see.

Soooo … congratulations to the Jackets for getting to 6 games and congratulations to the coaches for that extra month of practice.
Agree with all your points but the last, where I disagree that our OC just woke up to the fact that King is one of our primary running weapons. King had one more run yesterday (11 vs. 10) than against Louisville, and that includes our last drive where we were determined not to pass. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a lot of his runs are options. He is averaging about ten runs a game against FBS competition and has scored quite a few running TDs.

Flajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Speaking of Mario, does anyone else find it fun to contemplate that CBK was showing the world (including Mario), by using the victory formation on the 1-yard line, that you don't need to grab extra points/yards/stats when the game is won?
I kinda wished he had run it in over #0 to close out the game.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
It was a read route and ES13 ran a curl. HK was anticipating a streak route down the left sideline.
Yup. QBs throw to where the receivers are going/suppose to be. Sometimes on option routes they are not in sync. Now even if #13 ran the go route a safety was there so not a good throw.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Agree with all your points but the last, where I disagree that our OC just woke up to the fact that King is one of our primary running weapons. King had one more run yesterday (11 vs. 10) than against Louisville, and that includes our last drive where we were determined not to pass. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a lot of his runs are options. He is averaging about ten runs a game against FBS competition and has scored quite a few running TDs.
King takes a pounding. He can only run so many times a game. Lots of read options where he gives the ball to the RB

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
Did anyone else notice that Key's postgame handshake/convo with Babers lasted a little longer than typical? Maybe Key said something like "Give me a call if you're looking for work." ;)
No way to be sure, but some of it might have been about cuse #0 jumping across the line onto HK as he was obviously downing the ball at the end. Key was asked about that and basically said he was trying to keep things from getting out of control by running in for a TD, just letting #0 being an idiot go vs having a brawl to end the game.

I think Key likes Babers and maybe they discussed mutual gratitude about how the game ended relatively peacefully.
It was a pretty chippy game - the blocking into the stands incident, our guy spitting etc. Good it didn’t get worse.

GTNC72

Georgia Tech Fan
Did anyone else notice that Key's postgame handshake/convo with Babers lasted a little longer than typical? Maybe Key said something like "Give me a call if you're looking for work." ;)
Key: I know it's not your style to order such hits, but you should talk to the dude who hit my QB on the kneel-down.

Babers: I will. He's our resident hothead.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Yup. QBs throw to where the receivers are going/suppose to be. Sometimes on option routes they are not in sync. Now even if #13 ran the go route a safety was there so not a good throw.

They ran a pretty good coverage disguise 10 read the wrong safety as they rolled into a position where it looked like it was a cover 2 which would mean there should be a spot between the safety and the corner, the corner lingered long enough to make 13 think he should be running a curl.