Cuse Postgame

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don't fully understand the hate against this comment. This team is frustrating to watch at times and it's just hard to get excited even when you're up 24-3 against a completely one dimensional team because you know they're going to come back. It's just frustrating because you know it's coming and it happens. Been that way almost every game this season.

Some of y'all are old enough to have gone through really rough times but, being in my mid 30's, I've never had to go through what we went through the previous 4 years. I went through enough 6/7 win seasons but that was the floor and we were still generally always competitive against anyone we played. I legit have PTSD and complete apathy every time I watch this team because of how terrible we've been for 4 years.

We still keep falling into the same traps as the Collins teams. We have no idea how to play with a lead and defense is an absolute liability the vast majority of the time. The difference is now we're at least gutting out some these wins and not completely folding outside of UL and BGSU. We're a mediocre team with some talent and not a complete garbage team. To at least be here 1 full season after that **** show of a previous coaching regime is absolutely progress even if we still see artifacts from it in our game.

I just wish I could feel comfortable with a lead for once and not have to wait for our inevitable implosion.
It’s simple.

People are celebrating progress.

They’re not celebrating a team that is frustrating. They’re not celebrating a team that still lacks quality athletes at several positions. They’re not celebrating freshman mistakes. They’re not celebrating players who still have a lot to learn after getting zero coaching by the previous guy. They’re not celebrating blown games or WTF losses.

They’re celebrating progress. They’re celebrating seeing a coach who clearly knows how to coach. They’re celebrating visible improvement in the quality of play. They’re celebrating watching young kids work hard and see the fruits of their labor pay off, and we are so happy for them.

There celebrating the first step in what will be a long process by a first time head coach in his first full year as a coach.

The last four years were the worst I have ever experienced as a Tech fan. What we saw yesterday is how you climb out of that. Criticizing this team for expecting more out of this season not only shows a lack of football knowledge, it speaks of a really melancholy view of what college sports is all about.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
It’s simple.

They’re not celebrating a team that is frustrating. They’re not celebrating a team that still lacks quality athletes at several positions. They’re not celebrating freshman mistakes. They’re not celebrating players who still have a lot to learn after getting zero coaching by the previous guy. They’re not celebrating blown games or WTF losses.

They’re celebrating progress. They’re celebrating seeing a coach who clearly knows how to coach. They’re celebrating visible improvement in the quality of play. They’re celebrating watching young kids work hard and see the fruits of their labor pay off, and we are so happy for them.

There celebrating the first step in what will be a long process by a first time head coach in his first full year as a coach.

The last four years were the worst I have ever experienced as a Tech fan. What we saw yesterday is how you climb out of that. Criticizing this team for expecting more out of this season not only shows a lack of football knowledge, it speaks of a really melancholy view of what college sports is all about.
I'm not disagreeing at all with this. The progress improvement is honestly probably more than just 3 games worth as well. I just still have a little twitch remaining.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
It’s simple.

Bingo,

And tbh I think we got our selves a little spoiled during the cpj years. Folks seem to not realize what it's going to take to get back to where we once were.
It's not going to happen overnight or in one season. Going bowling is a great first start.
Cant write off the season because we didn't achieve some massive high standard.that.some fans put on us

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't fully understand the hate against this comment. This team is frustrating to watch at times and it's just hard to get excited even when you're up 24-3 against a completely one dimensional team because you know they're going to come back. It's just frustrating because you know it's coming and it happens. Been that way almost every game this season.

Some of y'all are old enough to have gone through really rough times but, being in my mid 30's, I've never had to go through what we went through the previous 4 years. I went through enough 6/7 win seasons but that was the floor and we were still generally always competitive against anyone we played. I legit have PTSD and complete apathy every time I watch this team because of how terrible we've been for 4 years.

We still keep falling into the same traps as the Collins teams. We have no idea how to play with a lead and defense is an absolute liability the vast majority of the time. The difference is now we're at least gutting out some these wins and not completely folding outside of UL and BGSU. We're a mediocre team with some talent and not a complete garbage team. To at least be here 1 full season after that **** show of a previous coaching regime is absolutely progress even if we still see artifacts from it in our game.

I just wish I could feel comfortable with a lead for once and not have to wait for our inevitable implosion.
GT is an average team with average talent. Winning against comparable or inferior talent on a consistent basis is what will get us to 7 to 8 wins. This year the 2 losses that we should have won are Boston College and Bowling Green (that one still stings). But on the other hand, we beat at least a couple of teams with better talent (North Carolina and Miami) and had a really good chance against Louisville.

I think Key's passion has done a miraculous turnaround with the students. You could really feel their energy the last 2 games and far different than it has been in several years. To get to the next echelon, we need to recruit at a higher level. This year has turned out slightly above what I expected and really a fair result for where we are in terms of talent. I think overall our coaches are much improved and with improve recruiting can realistically get us to 7 to 8 wins on a consistent basis. Taking a quick peek at next year

Aug. 31 vs. Georgia State
Sept. 14 vs. VMI
Oct. 19 vs. Notre Dame (at Mercedes-Benz Stadium)

Nov. 30 at Georgia

Home: Duke, Florida State (Dublin, Ireland), Miami (Fla.), NC State
Away: Louisville, North Carolina, Syracuse, Virginia Tech

By the way, fairly annoying that both FSU and Notre Dame are "Home Games" at neutral sites.

Losses are fairly easy to predict as Notre Dame, FSU and Notre Dame. You would hope VMI, Ga. State, Syracuse and VT would be games we should win. Duke, Miami, NC State, Louisville and North Carolina will probably have us as underdogs in most of those games. So we have to spring an upset on one of the three likely losses and take 7 of 9 of the others to get to 8 wins. Not easy but the mindset we need to have to get to the next level.

But for 2023, relieved and exciting to be bowling again.

WraleighWreck

Georgia Tech Fan
That hit on King was targeting or roughing. Only thing I can think is that since refs didn’t flag the play, the booth was going to interpret it very literally. UNC v Clemson game had a huge play where unc picked a pass in the end zone but refs called roughing/contact to helmet because lb barely grazed klubniks helmet with his arm trying to block pass. But they flagged it on the field, so had to call something. Just call the f&@king foul consistently.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
GT is an average team with average talent. Winning against comparable or inferior talent on a consistent basis is what will get us to 7 to 8 wins. This year the 2 losses that we should have won are Boston College and Bowling Green (that one still stings). But on the other hand, we beat at least a couple of teams with better talent (North Carolina and Miami) and had a really good chance against Louisville.

I think Key's passion has done a miraculous turnaround with the students. You could really feel their energy the last 2 games and far different than it has been in several years. To get to the next echelon, we need to recruit at a higher level. This year has turned out slightly above what I expected and really a fair result for where we are in terms of talent. I think overall our coaches are much improved and with improve recruiting can realistically get us to 7 to 8 wins on a consistent basis. Taking a quick peek at next year

Aug. 31 vs. Georgia State
Sept. 14 vs. VMI
Oct. 19 vs. Notre Dame (at Mercedes-Benz Stadium)

Nov. 30 at Georgia

Home: Duke, Florida State (Dublin, Ireland), Miami (Fla.), NC State
Away: Louisville, North Carolina, Syracuse, Virginia Tech

By the way, fairly annoying that both FSU and Notre Dame are "Home Games" at neutral sites.

Losses are fairly easy to predict as Notre Dame, FSU and Notre Dame. You would hope VMI, Ga. State, Syracuse and VT would be games we should win. Duke, Miami, NC State, Louisville and North Carolina will probably have us as underdogs in most of those games. So we have to spring an upset on one of the three likely losses and take 7 of 9 of the others to get to 8 wins. Not easy but the mindset we need to have to get to the next level.

But for 2023, relieved and exciting to be bowling again.
Why are they fairly easy to predict? We are the only team in the ACC that will have their starting qb returning. Do not underestimate the need for leadership at that position. I expect a big jump next season.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That hit on King was targeting or roughing. Only thing I can think is that since refs didn’t flag the play, the booth was going to interpret it very literally. UNC v Clemson game had a huge play where unc picked a pass in the end zone but refs called roughing/contact to helmet because lb barely grazed klubniks helmet with his arm trying to block pass. But they flagged it on the field, so had to call something. Just call the f&@king foul consistently.
So your interpretation is that if a flag had been thrown there would have been more latitude for interpretation? That kind of makes sense.

However, every questionable thing on the field is automatically reviewed whether a flag is thrown or not and even though the field crew has not called for a review. Targeting is considered so serious (hence the rule change) that it doesn’t require a flag for it to be ruled on “with prejudice.”

I could be wrong but I think the review team has the ability to rule the “intention” of the rule, which is protecting players in a vulnerable position, regardless of whether their is “honest” disagreement on the letter of the law.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
Why are they fairly easy to predict? We are the only team in the ACC that will have their starting qb returning. Do not underestimate the need for leadership at that position. I expect a big jump next season.

I completely agree with you. Especially in the NIL era, it’s really tough to gauge teams nearly a full season ahead. I like playing a team like FSU in week 0 - probably the best chance to take them. And ND later in the season will help since they’ll have plenty of chances to **** the bed of their perennial pre-season over-rating before us.

My only real gripe about 2024 is that we have a whopping total 5 home games… which is pathetic. We finally exorcised Goof but we’re still living with Todd’s sins.

Last edited:

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I completely agree with you. Especially in the NIL era, it’s really tough to gauge teams nearly a full season ahead. I like playing a team like FSU in week 0 - probably the best chance to take them. And ND later in the season will help since they’ll have plenty of chances to **** the bed of their perennial pre-season over-rating before us.

My only real gripe about 2024 is that we have a whopping total 5 home games… which is pathetic. We finally exorcised Goof but we’re still living with Todd’s sins.

FSU is not like UGA and Clemson they hit the portal hard last off season and all of those guys will be going pro. They will have to do the same again as they haven’t built depth through recruiting on both lines

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone have any plausible explanation on why the hit on haynes King was NOT targeting?? I heard what Wes said that alledgedly came from the ACC replay reviewers but that explanation did not really answer anything imo.
I read somewhere that roughing our qb was not seen or called on the field. Then the booth decided to review the play for targeting and upon review it was shown contact was made with the face mask to our QB's helmet rather than the crown of the helmet, so targeting could not be called. And since roughing our passer was not called on the field, it could not be called because penalties cannot be called on review. Rule needs to be changed in my opinion if this is indeed the case if review of targeting clearly shows roughing the passer instead of targeting.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Context matters. The previous coach went 10-28. The new regime is currently 10-9. That’s a pretty quick turn around from absolutely terrible to average. We are trending up. Who’s to say he can’t get us from average to good just as quickly next year?
Strength of schedule and overall team improvement should give us hope. Certainly pleased this team fights to win. That's a big leap forward.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I read somewhere that roughing our qb was not seen or called on the field. Then the booth decided to review the play for targeting and upon review it was shown contact was made with the face mask to our QB's helmet rather than the crown of the helmet, so targeting could not be called. And since roughing our passer was not called on the field, it could not be called because penalties cannot be called on review. Rule needs to be changed in my opinion if this is indeed the case if review of targeting clearly shows roughing the passer instead of targeting.
According to the rule, it doesn't have to be the crown. Here's Rule 9, Article 4:

Targeting and Making Forcible Contact to Head or Neck Area of a Defenseless Player
ARTICLE 4. No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent (See Note 2 below) with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul (Rules 2-27-14 and 9-6). (AR 9-1-4-I-VI)

Note 1: “Targeting” means that a player takes aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with forcible contact that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball. Some indicators of targeting include but are not limited to:
• Launch. A player leaving their feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area.
• A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground.
Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area.
• Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet.

Note 2: Defenseless player (Rule 2-27-14). When in question, a player is defenseless. Examples of defenseless players include but are not limited to:
A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass. This includes an offensive player in a passing posture with focus downfield.
• A receiver attempting to catch a forward pass or in position to receive a backward pass, or one who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect themselves or has not clearly become a ball carrier.
• A kicker in the act of or just after kicking a ball, or during the kick or the return.
• A kick returner attempting to catch or recover a kick, or one who has completed a catch or recovery and has not had time to protect themselves or has not clearly become a ball carrier.

We all have our opinions of how that hit fit this description. Apparently, the ACC Office has a different one than I do.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Just stop my man. If you really feel that way stop coming to this board. Stop watching the games. This is good for nobody, especially not for you. If you can’t find even a hint of joy from this game and from this season, then it’s over for you. You found out Santa Clause isn’t real and there’s no more magic in the holiday. That’s fine, but don’t be the kid that goes to school and tries to ruin everyone else’s fun. Take a break, because if you aren’t even a little satisfied, you probably will never be
This isn’t directed at you alone but my suggestion is to stop feeding the troll (unless you’re having fun doing it then by all means keep it up :LOL:). Just don’t let the troll steal any of your joy. I’m unabashedly thrilled with what appears to be the direction of the team and if that bothers any trolls I can live with that.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Looks like WreckinGT has make a lot of friends. We could do what Clemson did and get him to call in on the radio and piss off Key and the players before the uga game.
But I really don’t think they will need to be fired up for that game

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
You’re catching a lot of heat, and part of the problem is timing. It’s a good idea the day of a win to enjoy the win and to let others enjoy the win. There’s plenty of time today to tear apart the season, but let people savor a win.

Even if a team is undefeated, there are things to criticize, but you can still wait a day. And yes, successful people and teams do that.

So, why is bowl eligibility a big deal? Think of it as eking a profit. It’s not a wild profit, but it’s a start to getting on the healthy side of a program.

People mentioned the extra practices. This team dearly needs the extra training. They also need something to look forward to. Players haven’t had a bowl game to look forward to for years. It’s a big step towards building a culture of success when they haven’t had one for years.

Is this year the same as a 10-1 season? No
Is it the difference between six wins and five wins huge? Yeah, it’s enormous.
Eh, the heat is fine. My only original point was that I was on these boards in the Johnson days. I was on other boards for the Gailey days. Those days winning 6 games was basically expected. Nobody ever celebrated 6 wins. If we only got 6 wins we would question most things about the program and be disappointed with whatever bowl game we were sent to. Maybe there was too much entitlement back then but there were certainly higher expectations. Teams are currently firing coaches for doing better than that regularly. We used to fire coaches for doing better than that. Now, in a relatively short period of time we have fallen to a level that we celebrate it. Collins really did a number on us. I hope its a short term thing and we haven't just dropped all expectations for having a decent football team going forward.