Cuse Postgame

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Eh, the heat is fine. My only original point was that I was on these boards in the Johnson days. I was on other boards for the Gailey days. Those days winning 6 games was basically expected. Nobody ever celebrated 6 wins. If we only got 6 wins we would question most things about the program and be disappointed with whatever bowl game we were sent to. Maybe there was too much entitlement back then but there were certainly higher expectations. Teams are currently firing coaches for doing better than that regularly. We used to fire coaches for doing better than that. Now, in a relatively short period of time we have fallen to a level that we celebrate it. Collins really did a number on us. I hope its a short term thing and we haven't just dropped all expectations for having a decent football team going forward.

You answered your own question. The simple fact is a coach destroying the program for 4 years does lower expectations. You have to climb out of a hole. This is simply the first step to get out of it. No one wants to be going 6-6 every year, the Johnson and Gailey years prove it, but you can’t be pissed off about not being the starter when you haven’t even made the team yet. It’s a process. You realistically aren’t going to take that big of a leap in one season. Some would call going 10-9 after going 10-28 a huge leap already.

slugboy

Staff member
Eh, the heat is fine. My only original point was that I was on these boards in the Johnson days. I was on other boards for the Gailey days. Those days winning 6 games was basically expected. Nobody ever celebrated 6 wins. If we only got 6 wins we would question most things about the program and be disappointed with whatever bowl game we were sent to. Maybe there was too much entitlement back then but there were certainly higher expectations. Teams are currently firing coaches for doing better than that regularly. We used to fire coaches for doing better than that. Now, in a relatively short period of time we have fallen to a level that we celebrate it. Collins really did a number on us. I hope its a short term thing and we haven't just dropped all expectations for having a decent football team going forward.
Not many people would feel great about squatting 135 pounds, but if you just had knee replacement surgery it could be a huge achievement. And dumping on the guy who just had knee replacement surgery is exactly what you did.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow

The excitement is less about being gaslit into believe 6-5 is a good season and more about just how bad Collins ****ed us. Outside of Sandusky, I can’t think of anyone else that should never be allowed within 100 yards of a football team.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Not many people would feel great about squatting 135 pounds, but if you just had knee replacement surgery it could be a huge achievement. And dumping on the guy who just had knee replacement surgery is exactly what you did.
The problem is we went 5-7 last year. Not 0-12. Easily could have made a bowl game just by beating UVA and probably would have had Pyron not gotten hurt. Im not sure why it is controversial to think that building on that momentum and adding a really good QB probably should have resulted in better results. If Miami takes a knee then we end up with the same record with arguably better talent. Would that still have been good progress?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The problem is we went 5-7 last year. Not 0-12. Easily could have made a bowl game just by beating UVA and probably would have had Pyron not gotten hurt. Im not sure why it is controversial to think that building on that momentum and adding a really good QB probably should have resulted in better results. If Miami takes a knee then we end up with the same record with arguably better talent. Would that still have been good progress?
You do understand there are 131 other teams go pick one and enjoy yourself.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
According to the rule, it doesn't have to be the crown. Here's Rule 9, Article 4:

Targeting and Making Forcible Contact to Head or Neck Area of a Defenseless Player
ARTICLE 4. No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent (See Note 2 below) with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul (Rules 2-27-14 and 9-6). (AR 9-1-4-I-VI)

Note 1: “Targeting” means that a player takes aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with forcible contact that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball. Some indicators of targeting include but are not limited to:
• Launch. A player leaving their feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area.
• A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground.
Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area.
• Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet.

Note 2: Defenseless player (Rule 2-27-14). When in question, a player is defenseless. Examples of defenseless players include but are not limited to:
A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass. This includes an offensive player in a passing posture with focus downfield.
• A receiver attempting to catch a forward pass or in position to receive a backward pass, or one who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect themselves or has not clearly become a ball carrier.
• A kicker in the act of or just after kicking a ball, or during the kick or the return.
• A kick returner attempting to catch or recover a kick, or one who has completed a catch or recovery and has not had time to protect themselves or has not clearly become a ball carrier.

We all have our opinions of how that hit fit this description. Apparently, the ACC Office has a different one than I do.
To me, this is the single most important discrepancy between the no-call and the indicator rule: "When in question, it is a foul".

Eli

Helluva Engineer

Was anyone talking about firing George O’Leary after going 6-5 taking over for Bill Lewis? We are saying have perspective. Now if we go 6-6 three straight years I agree with your sentiment

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Bingo,

And tbh I think we got our selves a little spoiled during the cpj years. Folks seem to not realize what it's going to take to get back to where we once were.
It's not going to happen overnight or in one season. Going bowling is a great first start.
Cant write off the season because we didn't achieve some massive high standard.that.some fans put on us
We are scoring 15 more points per game this year than last year. That is both a major improvement and very noticeable.

If the defense can drop opponents scoring by about 7 per game next year we could be in the 8 game win range. Playing Georgia is problematic as the talent mismatch is gigantic

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Was anyone talking about firing George O’Leary after going 6-5 taking over for Bill Lewis? We are saying have perspective. Now if we go 6-6 three straight years I agree with your sentiment
Agreed. We are celebrating progress. Yes, we were close to having the same record last year. But only after firing the prior coach, which makes this year's success feel like confirmation that we are continuing to get our house in order.

Also, while wins are the most important barometer of improvement, they aren't the only ones. We've witnessed a major improvement in our scoring offense from last year. And although we may have taken a step back on defense with the loss of some key playmakers, we've also seen very tangible improvements in our special teams. With our schedule, even a one-game improvement in the win column is not trivial. It's worth celebrating. And I'll celebrate again after our bowl win gets us to 7 wins.

Edit to add: I'm not ruling out 8 wins this year, just being realistic.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
We knew before the season that we could actually improve a lot and still have a worse record.

If we’re 6-6 in two years, that would be bad. We’ve improved in a number of ways that are real improvement. Out offense has gone from bottom 20 of FBS to top 40. We went from one of the worst offensive lines to average. That’s progress. Our running game is alright, and our receivers have legitimate guys who can scare another team. Our secondary is good—maybe really good. We may have a linebacker or two for next year. We have some really good recruits for next year. Legitimately, this looks like this could a turnaround.

There’s a long way to go, but this was a dumpster fire. It can go either way now, but “up” is a legitimate option. Before it was “this can’t get worse”—and, when you say that, the problem is it can get worse.

Here’s an outside (paywalled) perspective from before the Syracuse game. We’re one of the most improved teams this season:

And there’s a bad summary outside the paywall at https://www.si.com/college/georgiat...the-most-improved-teams-in-the-country-per-sp

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Last year’s team was awful on offense. Scored 17 points per game. Morton 20 in Division 1. This year’s offense scored 32 per game. Drastic improvement.

The lack of talent on defense is obvious to anyone who watches college football. Last year White was a difference maker. 2nd round draft pick, gone. Thomas and Ely were very good LBs, gone. The replacements really aren’t ACC caliber players. Until we get better players on defense we will really struggle.

Gailey’s teams had lots of good defensive players. Johnson first few years we had several very good defenders.

We have a long way to go on defense before we can consider being a good team

bucknellbison31

Jolly Good Fellow
Cuse runs an odd one dimensional offense given essentially no qb but still caused us problems. I wondered if playing cuse right now is a little like playing us when we ran PJ’s offense, unconventional, odd, problematic. How many screens out wide did they run? They were 15 of 16 passing, so guess they ran it 16 times.
It's one-dimensional, but that doesn't mean it's easy to stop. It's hard on a defense to drag down a 240-pound tight end running at you full speed every play. I'm proud of the defense's resilience, and they got some really big stops. Holding on 4th and 1 on their half of the field like they did is particularly impressive.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Last year’s team was awful on offense. Scored 17 points per game. Morton 20 in Division 1. This year’s offense scored 32 per game. Drastic improvement.

The lack of talent on defense is obvious to anyone who watches college football. Last year White was a difference maker. 2nd round draft pick, gone. Thomas and Ely were very good LBs, gone. The replacements really aren’t ACC caliber players. Until we get better players on defense we will really struggle.

Gailey’s teams had lots of good defensive players. Johnson first few years we had several very good defenders.

We have a long way to go on defense before we can consider being a good team
Honestly Johnson had good defenders until the 2017/2018 season. Between guys like DJ white gotsis attoachu golden we had difference makers that broke games. It's really hard to compare the Johnson era to Hailey because the style of defense we could play based on the rule changes around holding and pass interference would have made tenutas style not work... As we saw when he went to uva

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I read somewhere that roughing our qb was not seen or called on the field. Then the booth decided to review the play for targeting and upon review it was shown contact was made with the face mask to our QB's helmet rather than the crown of the helmet, so targeting could not be called. And since roughing our passer was not called on the field, it could not be called because penalties cannot be called on review. Rule needs to be changed in my opinion if this is indeed the case if review of targeting clearly shows roughing the passer instead of targeting.
Except that targeting absolutely can be called from the booth. All the replay would have to show, according to the rule, is that some part of the defender’s body hit the neck or head area while the quarterback was in a vulnerable position, such as immediately after having thrown a pass.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Slight change in topics but I wanted to give a shout-out to our offense last night…yes, there was a shaky period in the third and into the fourth quarter where I thought “Here we go again,” but let’s consider that:

Syracuse’s defense was legit. Going into the game they were ranked 41 in DFEI, so not elite but well above average.

We scored 31 points against this defense, and had we needed to, could have scored 38. Despite turning the ball over twice. Not too shabby.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Slight change in topics but I wanted to give a shout-out to our offense last night…yes, there was a shaky period in the third and into the fourth quarter where I thought “Here we go again,” but let’s consider that:

Syracuse’s defense was legit. Going into the game they were ranked 41 in DFEI, so not elite but well above average.

We scored 31 points against this defense, and had we needed to, could have scored 38. Despite turning the ball over twice. Not too shabby.
That’s a good point. Inconsistent and even sloppy at times, but as you point out, we scored a lot of points on a team known for defense, as well as a team that was burning clock with a running game to keep us off the field.