Cuse Postgame

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It's all bowl sh*t. How does one ever see "evidence of targeting". It's a judgment call that is totally subjective. The initial explanation makes no sense on its face.

I see no path back to logic. Only more word spaghetti until the sane party throws their hands up in disgust then walks away.
You know, if we were not utterly convinced of the absolute pristine integrity of the immaculately honest Tobacco Road front office people in Charlotte, we might be tempted to speculate that this call was part of some evil pattern to stack the deck against Tech. 😳

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I hate to say it but that was my feeling, too. If all I've seen called targeting this season is targeting, there is no way that one was not. The only other option is they just weren't going to approve it.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Last night's game was so pivotal I didn't even want to mention it beforehand. I don't want to think about where we'd be right now had we lost.
It was an incredibly crucial win. A big sigh of relief for everyone involved with the program, from Brent Key and J. Batt down to the fans.
Yeah...I honestly felt like this game posed a genuine existential threat. A true fork in the road. Lose that game and I'm not sure we recover. EVER.

As it is, the sun is peaking out from behind the clouds, birds have begun chirping, and we all feel like singing.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The only thing I can think of is that they felt it looked more like incidental contact. He lowered his head a bit but didn't hit exactly with the crown of the helmet, but rather the "forehead" of it for lack of a better term. In my view, though, consistency required it to be called targeting, though I did think it was somewhat in a gray area. That being said, I thought we got more breaks from the refs than went the other way. On their TD that got called back, I thought surely somebody was going to get tagged for unnecessary roughness (or a late hit) in the end zone up around the helmet area, but the p.f. went against Syracuse.
The color guy on TV called it targeting as soon as he saw it. He mentioned QB in protected area, in a vulnerable position, helmet to helmet, and also, the fact that one player went low (knee area) while the other player went to the face and neck area.

A lot to sort through but what confused me was that in the past, see Gotsis being thrown out of a game, targeting was said to have nothing to do with intention, only impact. A player “launching” is obvious but when not launching all the other rules should come into play.

Dinner_Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
My gosh that was CPJ kind of painful except in reverse (against us).
It felt like they could just fall forward and gain 4 yards. I nearly wore my seat out leaning and pushing trying to stop Syracuse!
I’m worn out!
Not hard now to understand how stressed out opposing teams and fans had to be facing the triple option!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The color guy on TV called it targeting as soon as he saw it. He mentioned QB in protected area, in a vulnerable position, helmet to helmet, and also, the fact that one player went low (knee area) while the other player went to the face and neck area.

A lot to sort through but what confused me was that in the past, see Gotsis being thrown out of a game, targeting was said to have nothing to do with intention, only impact. A player “launching” is obvious but when not launching all the other rules should come into play.
One quibble - helmet to helmet isn't necessarily targeting. It could be seen as incidental contact. It's the crown of the helmet that is important. This was close to the crown, but not squarely. I do lean toward targeting, but I don't see it as black and white. I thought it would be ruled targeting, but it was 80% - 20% in my mind. There was room for it to go the other way.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The only thing I can think of is that they felt it looked more like incidental contact. He lowered his head a bit but didn't hit exactly with the crown of the helmet, but rather the "forehead" of it for lack of a better term. In my view, though, consistency required it to be called targeting, though I did think it was somewhat in a gray area. That being said, I thought we got more breaks from the refs than went the other way. On their TD that got called back, I thought surely somebody was going to get tagged for unnecessary roughness (or a late hit) in the end zone up around the helmet area, but the p.f. went against Syracuse.
I agree, was the only one in my area saying let it go. He didn't appear to me to launch, lead with the crown, etc.
I took thought hit with facemask or forehead, only questionable portion being above the shoulder pads, by that King was also going down all in a split second.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yeah...I honestly felt like this game posed a genuine existential threat. A true fork in the road. Lose that game and I'm not sure we recover. EVER.

As it is, the sun is peaking out from behind the clouds, birds have begun chirping, and we all feel like singing.

I love that song. Describes my feeling this morning exactly.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
That’s true, I haven’t posted in a while and I was curious to see the reaction after tonight’s game. Needless to say I was a bit surprised. I know Collins did a number on our fan base but I didnt think it was this bad. We barely beat a bad team playing a TE at QB to get to an 6-6 record and people are over the moon joyful. I honestly wish I could have that same mindset.
Just go back in your hole! You won't be missed!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
OK, I just read the NCAA targeting rule. The play in question was definitely targeting.

Hit doesn’t have to be with crown of helmet if player is in a defenseless position. Main example is a QB having thrown a pass. ANY contact in head or neck area of a vulnerable player is targeting.

Also, a player does not even have to leave his feet for it to be called a launch. Any tackle that “springs” toward face, head, or neck constitutes a launch.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
That seems to be the consensus prescription. I think the way to beat that is for King to tuck it and run - make them pay for their commitment to rush him. I'd also like to see some (real) screens and draws. That's the old-fashioned way to beat a blitz.
I posted this a couple weeks ago. Why can’t we run a traditional screen?!?!