Cuse Postgame

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
That play is called when the secondary is aligned a certain way. I agree, I've never seen it work. But I trust our OC. He has done a great job. We need to sign him up long term.
It's worked a number of times. Getting 3 yards on the ground was very hard early in the game. Cuse got a lot of pressure on King for much of the game. Quick WR screens are simply a different version of a running play trying to get some positive yards.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Great win--not because Syracuse is a great football team, but we needed to show that we can beat the teams we should beat in order to prove the progress that we have all seen this year. No, its not amazing success, but it is a GREAT step in the right direction, and certainly something to celebrate. Here are some things about the actual football game that I saw with my amateur eye:

-We came out with a good plan on defense and executed it (mostly) well. Kudos to the defensive staff for being ready and putting the players in the right position! It looked to me like we kept 3 LBs out there at all times and rolled the safeties in too.
-Speaking of LBs, I am buying stock in #44. Efford has been a revelation, and now he has an INT to go with his game leading 11 tackles. He takes good angles, is hard to block, hits hard and wraps us well. He now lead the team in tackles.
-Haynes King is one tough dude. He takes a lot of hits. Jamal Haynes is also a really tough runner and hard to take down.
-Singleton is such a talented receiver but he has dropped the equivalent of 150-200 yards in the last two games. I don't think I saw him drop one pass before this.
-How about a big round of applause for Aiden Birr?
-We need to fix the punt return issues.
-I'm really proud of the team's response in the fourth quarter. Almost everything went wrong in the 3rd quarter and they could have folded. But they stayed mentally strong and finished the game. I think they are more and more taking on the character of their coach, and that's a good thing.

Go Jackets! Let's do it again next week.
Kicking and coverage were not good last night on both KOs and Punts.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It's worked a number of times. Getting 3 yards on the ground was very hard early in the game. Cuse got a lot of pressure on King for much of the game. Quick WR screens are simply a different version of a running play trying to get some positive yards.
CPJ used this basic concept but it was a rocket toss. Similar principle of getting wide fast to pick up positive yardage. Didn’t have to be a big play for it to influence the defense on subsequent plays.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm so happy and tired and still a little drunk. Happy for the coaches and happy for the players, But in all honesty these night games are killing this old man. I get all wind up and can't go to sleep till after 2 am and have to get up and take the dog out to do her business thinking it would be easier to just clean it up inside.

Last night felt like the old CPJ days a bit. Worth giving up some sleep since the game was memorable. And this morning I needed a walk with my dog to clear my head some, must have been the game and not the Tito's.

My dog hasn't seen games with end of season meaning like this and we've had her 6 years. That's a long time in people years.

the dog is optional.....football and booze isn't. Get rid of the dog.

I know this was tic, but we're GT, we can do all three!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Because opponents get a lot of pressure rushing only 4 guys so they have 7 in coverage. Not a recipe for a successful screen pass
Yeah, hardly ever see anyone run a traditional screen anymore. Only seems to work consistently against prevent defenses. Every other defense run today can turn it into a major loss.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
OK, I just read the NCAA targeting rule. The play in question was definitely targeting.

Hit doesn’t have to be with crown of helmet if player is in a defenseless position. Main example is a QB having thrown a pass. ANY contact in head or neck area of a vulnerable player is targeting.

Also, a player does not even have to leave his feet for it to be called a launch. Any tackle that “springs” toward face, head, or neck constitutes a launch.
This is it! It is the definition of King as a defenseless player that they seem to have just ignored. They said there was "forcible contact to the head and neck area without any other evidence of targeting." I think it was close to targeting even if he wasn't considered a defenseless player but regardless ANY forcible contact to the head and neck area is targeting on a defenseless player such as a quarterback that just threw the ball. Therefore, they didn't consider him as just having thrown the ball (which is wholeheartedly incorrect) so by their definition roughing the passer should have been called on the field.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
This is it! It is the definition of King as a defenseless player that they seem to have just ignored. They said there was "forcible contact to the head and neck area without any other evidence of targeting." I think it was close to targeting even if he wasn't considered a defenseless player but regardless ANY forcible contact to the head and neck area is targeting on a defenseless player such as a quarterback that just threw the ball. Therefore, they didn't consider him as just having thrown the ball (which is wholeheartedly incorrect) so by their definition roughing the passer should have been called on the field.
I'm not a big fan of the targeting rule in general, IMO a lot of times its incidental contact and that's football and why you wear a helmet. But, if you're going to create the rule enforce it and by rule that was targeting and should have been called.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This is it! It is the definition of King as a defenseless player that they seem to have just ignored. They said there was "forcible contact to the head and neck area without any other evidence of targeting." I think it was close to targeting even if he wasn't considered a defenseless player but regardless ANY forcible contact to the head and neck area is targeting on a defenseless player such as a quarterback that just threw the ball. Therefore, they didn't consider him as just having thrown the ball (which is wholeheartedly incorrect) so by their definition it should have been roughing the passer.
It is just such a muddy ruling. Even if you argue that it was a hit involving some kind of continuation of the play, it still happened against the number one player on the field the rule specifically seeks to protect.

I would love a complete explanation by the Charlotte officials but I think that what we got when Wes called them for an explanation that is probably all we will get. Not satisfying. It will be put in the hopper for the off season rule and officiating review process I imagine.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I agree, was the only one in my area saying let it go. He didn't appear to me to launch, lead with the crown, etc.
I took thought hit with facemask or forehead, only questionable portion being above the shoulder pads, by that King was also going down all in a split second.
Targeting can be for -
"Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area"
"Note 2: Defenseless player (Rule 2-27-14). When in question, a player is defenseless. Examples of defenseless players include but are not limited to: • A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass.

That was targeting!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'm not a big fan of the targeting rule in general, IMO a lot of times its incidental contact and that's football and why you wear a helmet. But, if you're going to create the rule enforce it and by rule that was targeting and should have been called.
Exactly my thoughts. Be consistent in application of the rule if you have one.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
As far as the game, I thought we were going to blow it in the 3rdQ, but showing up in the 4thQ, winning and being bowl eligible is a huge turning point for our program. Improved defensive play, especially at LB last night, the OL is becoming a big asset and we have some weapons on offense. Things are definitely looking up !!!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Wouldn’t King have been considered defenseless while in the pocket looking for a receiver to throw to?

.... he was.

Oh My God Wow GIF by reactionseditor

Didn’t they say there was forcible contact to the head or neck but it wasn’t targeting?

Yup.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
We are celebrating a 6-6 season after a close win over a bad team like we just won the Super Bowl. We used to fire coaches for doing better than this every year. Amazing how far things have fallen.
I don't fully understand the hate against this comment. This team is frustrating to watch at times and it's just hard to get excited even when you're up 24-3 against a completely one dimensional team because you know they're going to come back. It's just frustrating because you know it's coming and it happens. Been that way almost every game this season.

Some of y'all are old enough to have gone through really rough times but, being in my mid 30's, I've never had to go through what we went through the previous 4 years. I went through enough 6/7 win seasons but that was the floor and we were still generally always competitive against anyone we played. I legit have PTSD and complete apathy every time I watch this team because of how terrible we've been for 4 years.

We still keep falling into the same traps as the Collins teams. We have no idea how to play with a lead and defense is an absolute liability the vast majority of the time. The difference is now we're at least gutting out some these wins and not completely folding outside of UL and BGSU. We're a mediocre team with some talent and not a complete garbage team. To at least be here 1 full season after that **** show of a previous coaching regime is absolutely progress even if we still see artifacts from it in our game.

I just wish I could feel comfortable with a lead for once and not have to wait for our inevitable implosion.

slugboy

Staff member
I guess thats true but considering they have won 27 in a row and have beaten teams better than us by 4+ TDs the past two weeks the odds of a win seem pretty low. I will gladly retract everything I have said if we pull off that miracle.
You’re catching a lot of heat, and part of the problem is timing. It’s a good idea the day of a win to enjoy the win and to let others enjoy the win. There’s plenty of time today to tear apart the season, but let people savor a win.

Even if a team is undefeated, there are things to criticize, but you can still wait a day. And yes, successful people and teams do that.

So, why is bowl eligibility a big deal? Think of it as eking a profit. It’s not a wild profit, but it’s a start to getting on the healthy side of a program.

People mentioned the extra practices. This team dearly needs the extra training. They also need something to look forward to. Players haven’t had a bowl game to look forward to for years. It’s a big step towards building a culture of success when they haven’t had one for years.

Is this year the same as a 10-1 season? No
Is it the difference between six wins and five wins huge? Yeah, it’s enormous.