CPJ Radio Show

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Maybe if we sucked less people wouldn't talk about Roof so much.

I don't love the scheme in particular, but I don't think it's inherently flawed. 4-2-5 is fine against the mostly spread teams we play. Would I like to see a few more blitzes called, and tighter coverage? Absolutely. But again, this isn't the root of the problem.

Watch iBeeballin's defensive breakdowns. He's not explaining things like "ok look how when the safety reads this and the corner reads that it puts them in a bind, the offense is attacking this part of the scheme" no, he says stuff like "this player took a bad angle. This guy has to wrap up. This player should know he has help inside. This player is telegraphing the blitz." It's all basic stuff. I don't care what freaking scheme we run or how much we blitz if we take bad angles. If we don't wrap up. Some things about the angles and where help will be is scheme-related, but a lot of it is just defensive football 101.

I don't know what Roof is stressing or saying to focus on, but we would have a massively improved defense if we did nothing but take good angles and wrap up the tackles when we got there.

I agree we can do better but one of the basic causes of bad tackling and poor angles is lack of speed. We have some of that on our D.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree we can do better but one of the basic causes of bad tackling and poor angles is lack of speed. We have some of that on our D.
I just have a hard time with this. Where are we slow? And so slow that we are athletically outgunned. We have pretty highly rated secondary players with good measurables. Linebacker? Do those guys all have to run 4.4s to be effective? We've seen them play well. They're just inconsistent.

I think a good defensive coordinator would have the players we've currently got as a 30-40 ranked defense against P5 competition. Again, if we did nothing but take better angles and wrap up, I think we are there. Our guys are just thinking too much. Whether it's because Ted's scheme is too complicated, or because it's just not being taught well, I don't know.