CPJ Radio Show

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
They talked about being more aggressive before the UT game, but that doesn't mean the game was called that way. I would assume after CPJ saw the film he still wasn't happy with how aggressive they were and said it needed to be turned up a notch, but it was definitely talked about before the UT game. When you are the head coach and offensive coordinator it's a lot harder to see what's going on with the D while the game is being played. You need to watch film to see what's going on, im sure any coach would tell you this.
Yet Johnson says he has the knack for seeing the whole field from field level. And it is disingenuous to suggest a coach can't tell if his team is being aggressive. If he needs to go to the tape to see that then it is time to sell use cars. (And before anybody erupts, I am not suggesting he should quit or be fired. I am suggesting that if all this is true then it is his fault because he is the man in charge of the game plan. Swinney fired a DC who objected to the fast-paced offense because, well, it is his offense, and adjustments aren't made downward to satisfy assistants.)

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Just my thoughts on it, but I think Paul doesn't want to get rid of roof because he has been doing pretty well on the recruiting trail the last 2 years. We have really recruited better overall talent on defense and I think we will see more of that impact in 2018 and 2019.

I really feel Paul knows it's hard enough to recruit to tech and Roof has been helping bring in some high level guys the last 2 years. Especially in Gwinnett county. It's not like Ted doesn't understand football, it just feels like he doesn't trust our players and plays very safe.
This makes a lot of sense. Just my opinion, but I don't think Roof will ever be considered a great DC but he is a GT guy (for some that means something, not really me) and he has helped make some in-roads in recruiting. I also think that when PJ fired Wommack and Groh, it was because he was having to get so heavily involved with the defense. I think he prefers and is trying his best to let Roof handle that side of the ball but just like any profession, if you have to continuously micro-manage an employee, it's probably time to get a new employee.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You guys are over thinking this. It's football. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. You ever thought that our guys and coaches are trying their dead level best to win but sometimes the opponent just makes the play despite your best effort. Ted Roof is added value to our program. Tenuta is now the defensive backs coach at Cincinnati. Looks like the Peter Principle has taken hold there.

Go Jackets!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
This is the ACC, you don't get paid $750k just to do your best. You get paid for results. If your best isn't good enough, it's time for walking papers.
PREACH!!!!!!

I will say I'll wait this year out to see how the D does. I have seen improvements

Last edited:

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Yet Johnson says he has the knack for seeing the whole field from field level. And it is disingenuous to suggest a coach can't tell if his team is being aggressive. If he needs to go to the tape to see that then it is time to sell use cars. (And before anybody erupts, I am not suggesting he should quit or be fired. I am suggesting that if all this is true then it is his fault because he is the man in charge of the game plan. Swinney fired a DC who objected to the fast-paced offense because, well, it is his offense, and adjustments aren't made downward to satisfy assistants.)
I agree it all falls on CPJ shoulders at the end of the day. My argument is to say, Being aggressive was talked about before the UT game. Also CPJ is a mastermind at seeing the field for HIS offense, I've never heard about that from him watching our D. When you are the head coach you have a lot on your plate especially when you are the offensive coordinator. IMO he shouldnt have to say get more aggressive as much as he has, but that's also his fault for not making changes if he's not getting what he wants

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
IMO Tenuta's defenses were best against pro-style offenses. They stopped the run and put pressure on the QB when they worked, which was a lot of the time.

Just my opinion, but the advent of the spread and the ubiquitous speeding up on offense limits a lot of the complexity that one can deploy on defense. The QB can get rid of the ball faster and it's easier to see where to distribute it if you line up wrong while trying to bring some kind of exotic pressure. I am guessing this is why Tenuta didn't have a lot of success as a DC after GT. Just my theory.

I also think the current trend puts an emphasis on defensive depth and talent. To beat these hurry up spread-the-field offenses the best way is to keep it simple, line up right, keep your eye discipline, whip your man, and run to the football. You also have to be able to stay fresh and not wear down.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
IMO Tenuta's defenses were best against pro-style offenses. They stopped the run and put pressure on the QB when they worked, which was a lot of the time.

Just my opinion, but the advent of the spread and the ubiquitous speeding up on offense limits a lot of the complexity that one can deploy on defense. The QB can get rid of the ball faster and it's easier to see where to distribute it if you line up wrong while trying to bring some kind of exotic pressure. I am guessing this is why Tenuta didn't have a lot of success as a DC after GT. Just my theory.

I also think the current trend puts an emphasis on defensive depth and talent. To beat these hurry up spread-the-field offenses the best way is to keep it simple, line up right, keep your eye discipline, whip your man, and run to the football. You also have to be able to stay fresh and not wear down.
Agree, but for one of your last comments "whip your man" that's something we aren't very good at, and when that's the case you need to get more aggressive/exotic in what you do. It might be more of a risk, but it's going to cause bigger plays on D. I'd rather give up a quick touchdown and get the ball back than give up a 6 minute drive TD. IMO it's just a matter of how you want to be exposed in your weaknesses. I'll take the aggressive/exotic stuff that causes more confusion to the QB all day. Don't make him wait to make mistakes himself, make the D make him mistakes. That gets a guys mind turning more during a game, which means more mistakes. Of course you need to be smart with it when playing spread teams but there are plenty of teams that do this against spread offenses and have plenty of success. JMO.

Deleted member 2897

There sure is a lot of Ted Roof Butt Hurt on this board for a defense that is giving up 19 points per game and 260 yards of offense per game (regulation). If we gave up exactly 19 points in every game the last 3 years we would have gone something like 36-3. Ted sees our kids in practice every week and knows who can do what and who has trouble with what. We have had some terrible games on defense over the past few years, but so has our offense. You ask him about a BB who runs for 100 yards and a TD, and CPJ says 'he was okay, he did some things'. I think some of you guys are way over-reading his feedback of Roof.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
There sure is a lot of Ted Roof Butt Hurt on this board for a defense that is giving up 19 points per game and 260 yards of offense per game (regulation). If we gave up exactly 19 points in every game the last 3 years we would have gone something like 36-3. Ted sees our kids in practice every week and knows who can do what and who has trouble with what. We have had some terrible games on defense over the past few years, but so has our offense. You ask him about a BB who runs for 100 yards and a TD, and CPJ says 'he was okay, he did some things'. I think some of you guys are way over-reading his feedback of Roof.
The Roof discussion isn't just about this year, it's about the previous 4 years as well. The UT game was good D for the first half and then we looked very similar to previous years and we could've shut out JSU and I wouldn't really care. I want to see some real improvement on D now that we are getting in to the meat of our schedule.

Deleted member 2897

The Roof discussion isn't just about this year, it's about the previous 4 years as well. The UT game was good D for the first half and then we looked very similar to previous years and we could've shut out JSU and I wouldn't really care. I want to see some real improvement on D now that we are getting in to the meat of our schedule.

That's why I said "We have had some terrible games on defense over the past few years."

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

I am in no way saying fire, promote, extend or anything else about CTR.

But the first word in your second sentence, "IF", no longer cuts it. We should be so far removed from "IF" it isn't funny. We need to demand a total football team now.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

Yep. Hence the drops by the DBs and the less complex blitzes. Also, the depth factor plays against what we can (or could) do recruiting at Tech for D players. Now, due to better recruiting on that side (thanks, Ted), we may be getting to where we need to be to allow us to be more aggressive.

It isn't that coaches can't see what the problems are. When you see problems on the field - especially on the D side - it is usually because the DC doesn't have the players he needs to correct the problems everyone can see. The recent changes from the Hill about our recruiting could be starting to alleviate that.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Why did Coach Roof have to wait half a season last year to simplify his playbook when it wasn't working? Or the time before that? Coaches can get tunnel vision just like anyone else and not see/refuse to see that their system is broken and hurting the team.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Yep. Hence the drops by the DBs and the less complex blitzes. Also, the depth factor plays against what we can (or could) do recruiting at Tech for D players. Now, due to better recruiting on that side (thanks, Ted), we may be getting to where we need to be to allow us to be more aggressive.

It isn't that coaches can't see what the problems are. When you see problems on the field - especially on the D side - it is usually because the DC doesn't have the players he needs to correct the problems everyone can see. The recent changes from the Hill about our recruiting could be starting to alleviate that.
I would generally agree with this but when the D coordinator has had this same issue at almost every other school, imo there is something else.