CPJ Radio Show

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Not to praise Roof but he did try some different looks in the UT game.He had a 3 man front and dropped 8.He had the reg 4 man front and a 3 man with 1 LB blitzer (which was a joke.) but he tried.
What got me was that the UT def had to play so any snaps but ultimately THEY stopped us as our guys could not execute the last play. Yet our def collapsed with MANY fewer snaps.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My thoughts exactly on the D. You'd think Roof would get the message.

Really? Don't you think CPJ talks personally and not via the media? I would expect CPJ will tell him exactly what he thinks on a very personal level. This stuff on his shows is just for public consumption.

There ain't no silver bullet to fix the D or CPJ would have used it several DCs ago.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Tenuta- thought by most to be a great D.C. here (just not at the time when we gave up some big plays in a few games...then he was a dumby smh). Since then thought to be a bust....because of the advent of spread and hurry up. As if he never saw that here...(true it's become more widespread but I think the fad is starting to fade a tad)

Charles Kelly-thought by some to be the guy if only FSU hadn't come calling. Then FSU started getting torched and suddenly he was an idiot. Now they are balking and he's a genius again.

What is the big differences here? Success. Probably most influenced by talent on the field.

I can pretty much guaranfsmnteetee that if you guys watched a D taught to read and react...who dominated on the field...y'all would say....that's the kind of aggressive scheme WE need.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Tenuta- thought by most to be a great D.C. here (just not at the time when we gave up some big plays in a few games...then he was a dumby smh). Since then thought to be a bust....because of the advent of spread and hurry up. As if he never saw that here...(true it's become more widespread but I think the fad is starting to fade a tad)

Charles Kelly-thought by some to be the guy if only FSU hadn't come calling. Then FSU started getting torched and suddenly he was an idiot. Now they are balking and he's a genius again.

What is the big differences here? Success. Probably most influenced by talent on the field.

I can pretty much guaranfsmnteetee that if you guys watched a D taught to read and react...who dominated on the field...y'all would say....that's the kind of aggressive scheme WE need.

You really need to send an e-mail explaining this to Roof and CPJ. Last year, Roof lost sleep after the U[sic]NC game and simplified the playbook so that guys could play faster. This year, CPJ has talked about being more aggressive in play-calling, which the players like. I think that they would both appreciate you letting them know that our struggles just stem from poor talent.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
You really need to send an e-mail explaining this to Roof and CPJ. Last year, Roof lost sleep after the U[sic]NC game and simplified the playbook so that guys could play faster. This year, CPJ has talked about being more aggressive in play-calling, which the players like. I think that they would both appreciate you letting them know that our struggles just stem from poor talent.

Talent is the single most important aspect affecting on field performance. All the blood sweat tears and lost sleep goes into overcoming those deficiencies.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I am so happy with the EARLY IN THE SEASON MORE AGRESSIVE AND SHIFTING DEFENSE. Safety back 15 yrds but moving toward as snap count starts, ditto cb up in very tight coverage then drop back, dl slant rush so lb can blitz, safety blitz, 3 4 alignment, etc

My gosh a few years ago we were in the same soft formation every play UNTIL LATE in 4th.

We will have some down moments and yes some of the players may be out athletes occasionally, but in the long run with a more agressive style we will attract even better players.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I spoke to some Auburn friends at my church tonight, and they hated Roof when he was DC at Auburn.
I've heard this before.

I think some people are to attached because he's a GT man, and I wonder if he had no ties to GT if people would feel the same way. I have nothing against him I'm just skeptical that the D will get where we would like under him. If he had done better at different schools I wouldn't say much, but the tract record isn't that great. I do hope he can turn it around, if this year isn't improved I won't be happy though.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Statistically, Roof is not a 'bad' defensive coordinator. An argument for mediocre could be made, but with the exception of 2008 (when we had Derrick Morgan, Morgan Burnett, etc) and 2013 when our defenses were ranked in the top 30 in both ypg and ppg, every defensive coordinator CPJ has had at Tech has ranked around 44-65 out of 128 D1 teams in these two categories, which is slightly north of average. The rhetoric about Roof though is suprisingly acidic for some reason, worse than I remember it being for Groh or Wommack. I mean Groh, who was a Hoo, got ragged out after he left for the way he left, but Roof is catching worse hell while he's still here. I know some people don't like the 'style' of defense, but this doesn't account for why a guy who is a Tech man and has done a decent, if not great job, is so disliked by such an apparently sizeable contingent of Tech fans.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Statistically, Roof is not a 'bad' defensive coordinator. An argument for mediocre could be made, but with the exception of 2008 (when we had Derrick Morgan, Morgan Burnett, etc) and 2013 when our defenses were ranked in the top 30 in both ypg and ppg, every defensive coordinator CPJ has had at Tech has ranked around 44-65 out of 128 D1 teams in these two categories, which is slightly north of average. The rhetoric about Roof though is suprisingly acidic for some reason, worse than I remember it being for Groh or Wommack. I mean Groh, who was a Hoo, got ragged out after he left for the way he left, but Roof is catching worse hell while he's still here. I know some people don't like the 'style' of defense, but this doesn't account for why a guy who is a Tech man and has done a decent, if not great job, is so disliked by such an apparently sizeable contingent of Tech fans.

I don't understand why we have to go through this several times every year, but the "per game" statistics are misleading. Because our O shortens the game by predominantly running and controlling clock, both we and our opponents have the ball fewer times/game. As a result, our D will look better and O will look worse when compared to other teams when looking at "per game" stats.

I don't know about others, but I remember when he was DC the first time at Tech, and he was no good then. I hated that we hired him again. I like him as a former great Tech player, and he seems to be a very good recruiter, but I just don't think he's a good coach. Sorry if that is acidic, but it's just the way I feel.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, older Tech fans really weren't big on Roof as a DC his first time through. Wommack wasn't here long enough for people to dislike what he brought. Groh's scheme was disliked by Tech fans, but he was here for fewer than 3 seasons so I don't know if there was enough time for us to really get strong opinions on him. There's also the fact that Roof's contract is up so either he gets an extension and a raise which will upset some of us, or he will be told his contract won't be renewed which will upset some of us. There really isn't a "wait and see" option on the table after the season so lots of people are splitting into opposing camps about the DC situation.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, older Tech fans really weren't big on Roof as a DC his first time through. Wommack wasn't here long enough for people to dislike what he brought. Groh's scheme was disliked by Tech fans, but he was here for fewer than 3 seasons so I don't know if there was enough time for us to really get strong opinions on him. There's also the fact that Roof's contract is up so either he gets an extension and a raise which will upset some of us, or he will be told his contract won't be renewed which will upset some of us. There really isn't a "wait and see" option on the table after the season so lots of people are splitting into opposing camps about the DC situation.

So, you're saying that some Read and React, while others Attack?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't aware his contract was up this year. If we didn't re sign him I wonder who people would want? Maybe Chad Glasgow.