CPJ Radio Show

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
How many times does cpj have to tell his DC he needs to be more aggressive before it sinks in on a consistent basis? I dont get it. He has said this at least 5 times over the past year or two. Thats my takeaway. Oh and paul validated my in game chat comments and board comments during the game and after Ut film analysis that #20 is playing or may be playing the best on D right now....he said he is playing well and you can see it on film for sure.

Oh. And ucf game is canceled. Andy didnt say but once :rolleyes:

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
How many times does cpj have to tell his DC he needs to be more aggressive before it sinks in on a consistent basis? I dont get it. He has said this at least 5 times over the past year or two. Thats my takeaway. Oh and paul validated my in game chat comments and board comments during the game and after Ut film analysis that #20 is playing or may be playing the best on D right now....he said he is playing well and you can see it on film for sure.

My thoughts exactly on the D. You'd think Roof would get the message.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
My thoughts exactly on the D. You'd think Roof would get the message.

At the same time. Its not like he has fired him. It reminds me of gailey and nix or something maybe not a great example. But its like damn man change your calls. Maybe this is the year of the final straw. We will see

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

Yep, and every time (that I can think of) After CPJ said get more aggressive the D has looked way better.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Just my thoughts on it, but I think Paul doesn't want to get rid of roof because he has been doing pretty well on the recruiting trail the last 2 years. We have really recruited better overall talent on defense and I think we will see more of that impact in 2018 and 2019.

I really feel Paul knows it's hard enough to recruit to tech and Roof has been helping bring in some high level guys the last 2 years. Especially in Gwinnett county. It's not like Ted doesn't understand football, it just feels like he doesn't trust our players and plays very safe.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If all of this is true -- the D played better after Johnson told his DC to be more aggressive -- then why did Johnson wait until the season started to suggest this is the way he wants to play? Why does he first lose a game? Does he never watch his defense practice? Scrimmage against it? What, is it aggressive on those days and passive otherwise? I believe he has said the same thing, or a variant of it, about every DC he has had at Tech. And everything in my limited experience and everything I read about successful programs is that the game plan is discussed by the coaches and the HC, schemed by the coaches, practiced, fine-tuned or in some cases scrapped with a do-over, then signed off on by the HC in a come-to-Jesus meeting before the game. And Johnson doesn't know they are not playing aggressively enough? Moreover, both he and Roof come fully equipped with the finest of headset hardware and are constantly talking during the game. (It's the same as a coach saying his team played harder "after I got on them." Next time, get on them before the game.) So if this happened, then certainly somebody isn't doing his job. And it ain't the DC.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If all of this is true -- the D played better after Johnson told his DC to be more aggressive -- then why did Johnson wait until the season started to suggest this is the way he wants to play? Why does he first lose a game? Does he never watch his defense practice? Scrimmage against it? What, is it aggressive on those days and passive otherwise? I believe he has said the same thing, or a variant of it, about every DC he has had at Tech. And everything in my limited experience and everything I read about successful programs is that the game plan is discussed by the coaches and the HC, schemed by the coaches, practiced, fine-tuned or in some cases scrapped with a do-over, then signed off on by the HC in a come-to-Jesus meeting before the game. And Johnson doesn't know they are not playing aggressively enough? Moreover, both he and Roof come fully equipped with the finest of headset hardware and are constantly talking during the game. (It's the same as a coach saying his team played harder "after I got on them." Next time, get on them before the game.) So if this happened, then certainly somebody isn't doing his job. And it ain't the DC.
Exactly. What the hell is preventing CPJ from saying through the headset during a game: "WTF TED?!?!!! WHY THE HELL ARE THE DB's 15 YARDS OFF AND BACKPEDALING AT THE SNAP?!?!?!"

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
They talked about being more aggressive before the UT game, but that doesn't mean the game was called that way. I would assume after CPJ saw the film he still wasn't happy with how aggressive they were and said it needed to be turned up a notch, but it was definitely talked about before the UT game. When you are the head coach and offensive coordinator it's a lot harder to see what's going on with the D while the game is being played. You need to watch film to see what's going on, im sure any coach would tell you this.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
They talked about being more aggressive before the UT game, but that doesn't mean the game was called that way. I would assume after CPJ saw the film he still wasn't happy with how aggressive they were and said it needed to be turned up a notch, but it was definitely talked about before the UT game. When you are the head coach and offensive coordinator it's a lot harder to see what's going on with the D while the game is being played. You need to watch film to see what's going on, im sure any coach would tell you this.
CPJ closes his eyes when the other team has the ball? ;)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Oh, he blitzes....but all too often the blitzes have bene ineffective.
Because the dl is not stunting.
The ol can legally hold and so can the dl.
If the smaller dl does not stunt (and legally pull the o l) , the lb runs into a pile.

OUR EXPERIENCED lb run into the pile as instructed. Wonder if it's ability or coaching (Do or die - that's the hole coaching or read and rush like (TDR).

I am glad we tried being aggressive w Jax. I have heard that the Pitt qb is not a great passer. Maybe we roll.