CPJ Press Conference #ALCNvsGT

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Can CPJ be a bit "nicer"? Sure. But one of the things I appreciate about CPJ is that he has standards and he holds our players accountable. For instance:

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...disciplinary-measures/kZXNzPWCd8KpuilAhICIDN/

But he also asserted his belief that “little things are important. And the more I can teach the fact that little things are important, I think that has a lot to do with whether or not you win close games or whether or not you do all those things. And you just need to be accountable.”
Or, to put it another way:

Among the maxims on Lord Naoshige's wall there was this one: "Matters of great concern should be treated lightly." Master Ittei commented, "Matters of small concern should be treated seriously."
- Yamamoto Tsunetomo

This is what CPJ means, but I doubt that he knows that he's channelling The Way of the Samurai when he said it.

Btw, I tried to get the so-cool Ghost Dog quote instead, but the site won't let me paste it in! Or, at least, I can't figure out how to do it.

Last edited:

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Look guys, I think sometimes our emotions and our wanting the program to succeed blurs our vision. I’ve seen comments on here of complaints about stuff that was never even said. Idk if it’s mishearing or reading to much into it. Just take what is said for face value, don’t read into it to much, and please read things in the right context. When CPJ says something understand why he’s saying it and what’s been said before or after the comment that upsets you, that way you can actually know what he’s talking about. Like his 6-6 comment, he’s by no means saying that’s what we should expect, he’s actually said the exact opposite. His comment was made because of a question of the decline in production, he was simply stating that he doesn’t see it that way and historically GT has been 6-6 (although we have probably been a little better, he was just throwing a number out there it sounded like imo) when you look at his comment of 6-6 in regards to the question asked it makes perfect sense and idk how else you’d want him to answer the question.

J_Trouche

Georgia Tech Fan
Now imagine Muschamp telling reporters that they shouldn't be expected to beat Clemson beacause if you look at the series history Clemson has always dominated.
CPJ never said anything like that?? so that's a dumb hypothetical. You're twisting his words for the sake of a better argument. Not to mention CPJ's statement is sort of accurate even though he averages a little above that. Also, I would way rather average 7-6 or 6-6 or whatever under CPJ as long as he goes 11-3 or 9-4 one year and a bad season like 2015 every once in awhile, but getting rid of CPJ and there's a great chance we go 7-6 every single year which is boring to watch (like under Gailey). If Dabo coached at GT his ceiling would be 8-5 every year IMO.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Oh god give me a break. You aren't serious are you? I'm talking big boy national championships

meme.png

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
God forbid we make it to the playoffs? I'd really hate to let our current coach go for one who only loses to Bama in the finals...
Well Lane Kiffin lost to Bama by only 2 points. Noone knows how the new hire will work out at uga. Jury is still out after only 2 seasons.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

This press conference is a combination of disappointing and infuriating. To have a coach choose to run down the program and say 6-6 is about what should be expected and anything beyond that is good just doesn’t cut it for me. As a sidewalk fan why do I want to pull for a program whose head coach spews such negativity? This program has won a national championship and been to multiple major bowl games in the last 30 years. We also had a 18 year bowl streak snapped just 3 years ago.

Why is our head coach not trying to spin the program in the most positive light possible? He is obviously willing to sacrifice the program for the sake of his reputation. I expect our Head Coach to fight FOR the program I spend my hard earned money on. Not to spew the same garbage I hear from UGA fans. How can somebody who feels so negatively about the product they are representing be expected to go out and then sell that product to the public and recruits. The answer is he can’t. Our athletic program has become a victim of its own negative self fulfilling prophecy. Problems within the program should be discussed behind closed doors, not before the first game of the year when the enthusiasm should be king.

I didn't read the 8 pages, so people probably already responded to this comment 100 times, but let me give you my take. You and many others interpret his comments to say its EXPECTED. That is FALSE. He's giving a historical perspective of what we've done as a team. He called 'good' 8 wins. He didn't call 6-6 good. He called 9-10+ wins great. The team's goal many years is to win the coastal...with most players wanting to win the ACC and even make the CFP. None of these guys or the coach or people on this board expect 6-6 and are 'satisfied' with it. Please don't read his comments that way.

Deleted member 2897

Exactly. Our program has averaged 8 wins a year over the last 2 decades. We are not a feeble program being saved by the genius of CPJ. That narrative is simply incorrect but it is amazing how many of our own people have bought it.

Thats a little bit of fake news because 11 of those years are CPJ himself. In the last 50 years, we won 8 or more games once every 10 years. Now we're winning 8 or more games once every 2.5 years under CPJ. So he has gotten us to that 8-win level 4 times as often as the historical average.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Obviously, I just can't let this go.

Imo, you are misrepresenting the context of CPJ's remarks. He did not refer to the average 6-6 back 50 years as part of saying that fans can't expect GT to beat a particular opponent or to suggest that GT is a worse program than the others that you mentioned.

As much as we might expect different from our coach, we should also expect fairness and honesty from our fans.

Fwiw, we've won 113 games over the last 15 years, including 6 Bowl Games during that time. Our 107 reg season wins is 7.1 wins/season.

So why not say we are an 8-5 team. Go ahead and round up to make the program sound better even at the expense of acknowledging the fact the program is on a downward trend as we hwent from making bowl games for 18 straight years to missing them 2 of the past 3?

Deleted member 2897

I cannot wait for Saturday so some of the bulls**t being posted gets put on the back burner, jeez. SSDD and it get real damn old, unless you're going to write the check to buy PJ out and then to hire his replacement, then write the checks to get the assistant coaches to the top 1/3 of the ACC, the write the check for Edge Center rebuild. I could go on and on and on at the handicaps PJ has been working under including the last 2 ADs. Tech has finally put someone in place to try and bring the program into the 21st century so how a little patience while the process works as it should have been working the last 2 decades.

Please send me the address where I can send you a case of beer or three. :beercheers::beercheers::beercheers::beercheers::beercheers::beercheers::beercheers::beercheers::beercheers::beercheers::beercheers::beercheers::beercheers::beercheers::beercheers::beercheers::beercheers:

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Thats a little bit of fake news because 11 of those years are CPJ himself. In the last 50 years, we won 8 or more games once every 10 years. Now we're winning 8 or more games once every 2.5 years under CPJ. So he has gotten us to that 8-win level 4 times as often as the historical average.

You do realize we play more games now don’t you?

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Fine, I mean how many do you have? And let's see, only Meyer, Saban, Fisher and Sweeny are the only active coaches to win a National Championship. Which can we afford? CPJ has more BCS appearances than uga during his time here. With "lesser players" according to star ratings. What do you want? Do you constantly need sunshine blown up your a$$? Why do you hold his failures above his accomplishments? Remember that the years of "HE WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED" were a hell of a lot more recent than our last Big Boy Bowl prior to CPJ.
Why in the hell would it matter how much i have? We are talking about CPJ. Some of ypu CPJers are crazy

Deleted member 2897

You do realize we play more games now don’t you?

In the 70s, 80s, and 90s we averaged a hair under 12 games per year. Over the last 12 years under CPJ its been right at about 13. You really are trying as hard as you can to shine a negative light on this program. Should he not have accepted 8 bowl games to keep his total number of games played down? (his bowl record is only 4-7)