CPJ Press Conference #ALCNvsGT

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
CPJ is in year 12. So if you're looking at how we've done over the last 2 decades, you're (I'm sure accidentally) heaping praise on CPJ. I mean, if you read what you just wrote, CPJ has moved us to an 8 win program instead of our program length and 50 year length 6 win legacy.

3 Coastal Championships, 2 Orange Bowl wins, 1 ACC Championship, and we're winning 8+ games at 4x the historical frequency.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. But I'm not knocking CPJ's performance over his tenure here although missing bowl games 2 of 3 years is unacceptable to me. What I was venting about was a coach that diminishes this programs history to the media to make himself look better. He's building in an excuse for his recent failures that is a lie. The fact is he is really no better than his predecessor's over the course of his tenure here and the program is undoubtedly on a downward trend the last 3 years as the reporter stated correctly. You can't miss bowl games 2 of 3 years after going for 18 straight years and claim there is nothing different about the last 3 years. We are going the wrong way. Hopefully we will improve this year which is all the arrogant son of a gun had to say instead of presenting a false history of what our program has done.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Sorry if I wasn't clear. But I'm not knocking CPJ's performance over his tenure here although missing bowl games 2 of 3 years is unacceptable to me. What I was venting about was a coach that diminishes this programs history to the media to make himself look better. He's building in an excuse for his recent failures that is a lie. The fact is he is really no better than his predecessor's over the course of his tenure here and the program is undoubtedly on a downward trend the last 3 years as the reporter stated correctly. You can't miss bowl games 2 of 3 years after going for 18 straight years and claim there is nothing different about the last 3 years. We are going the wrong way. Hopefully we will improve this year which is all the arrogant son of a gun had to say instead of presenting a false history of what our program has done.

Read this post, and ask yourself whether this guy sounds like an arrogant know-it-all son of a gun or not.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I’m just curious, what do you think these built-in disadvantages are? And that’s not meant to be snarky. I’m just wondering if there are things that we consider disadvantages that other schools who are thriving (or at least doing better than us) have to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DONT READ THIS POST!!!

Did you see the previous locker room? When was the last time you were in the edge building?

How about the weight room? It was just re-done 4 years ago and is still not up to par with some of the other schools in the conference.

It’s an arms race and we have hand guns against tanks.

I didn’t even get into academics...

I AM LATE TO THE PARTY!!!

Last edited:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
How did Curry do?

Do you even have a point you are trying to make here? Please try to follow lines of logic rather than diverge to different points.

Bama recruits itself. When they have good XOs coaches they excel. Curry didn’t quite meet muster there. And got canned. Stallings enters, a better XOs coach, took Curry’s recruited players, and won a natty. CPJ would too.

You can bet Bama would give him all of the facilities and staff he could ever dream of.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Are there just too many disadvantages to name?

1) academic rigor - here are the top 10 public schools according to US News (Cal, UCLA, UVA, Michigan, UNC, William & Mary, GT, UCSB, UCI/UCSD, Florida).

2) money - this school has some EXTREMELY wealthy alumni. Are we not reaching out to them? If so, why aren’t they donating?

3) playing style - hard to recruit with a triple option offense. Especially when players don’t really know which position they’ll end up playing.

4) facilities - see #2

Am I missing something? Shouldn’t being located in the city of Atlanta be a major advantage?

I see you already answered your question

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
You just keep on with this terribly insulting line you have going. Nobody here is satisfied with 6 wins or expecting 6 wins or tearing down the program or anything like that.

I believe you when you say that but just don't understand why you and others on here are alright with our head coach presenting a narrative to the media that is false so he can blame his potential failure on the program and not himself. I guess you guys don't believe he is doing that but that is the way I see it. I think he is running down GT to make himself look better and that is my frustration. You say he is speaking the truth but when I simply look at the facts I see that he is telling a lie. Since we have been playing 13 games consistently we are an 8-5 program which goes back about 20 years. This is a significant difference to me from 6-6. The unwillingness of our fanbase to question Paul Johnson is a concern to me and I think ultimately bad for our program.

Jmonty71

Banned
First game not even under our belts and the fussing has already started, after one press conference. Is it going to be one of those seasons?

I, for one, am optimistic. I like having an attacking defense and think it will take those close loses, in past, and turn them into wins. I think we may have enough to shut Duh U, Ugag and VT at bay. Clemson is the only game I foresee us really struggling with. Clemson's D can shut down our O and has done so, that last few years. We have talent, in the right spots. I have been saying, for years, that we had an old, outdated defense. We now have a DC that runs a base 3-4, but blitzes very well. He has shown that we can disguise blitzes well also. I think we should, at least, see how the first game goes before we start the groaning.

If we can beat Duke, UVA, UNC and Pitt we'll be good. Assuming we win the games we should, like Alcorn St. VT and Duh U? I would be happy to split those. Prefer to beat Miami, though. Clemson and Ugag? Again, I'd take another split and be happy. Prefer to beat Ugag...

I think 7-8 wins is achievable.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
At end of 14 coach got a good contract - due to his offense being able to beat big time p 5 programs .

Didn't hear him tell folks -" don't get used to winning like last half of 14 because it's going to be 6-6. "

Seems like he dwelt on 6-6 as if that's acceptable. Could have said much more positive =

1. Now that we are adding facilities, we will attract better players and coaches.

2. Looking at how gt is improving our FOOTBALL GR from 65% to 85% , we should be able to recruit better. Our sister school is sadly still only graduating 50% . No more negative academic recruiting.

3. 80% (approx) of players get a degree from a great business school..
4. We are recruiting more efficiently w a larger staff .
5. In 18 gt will have young but highly talented defense playing very fast.

Hope folks will come out to watch as this year and as we get better."

Coach is not a sales type.

So just hope 18 is an up year.
If we go 6-6 (win 2 crummy games, loose all 4 good team , but win 4 of remaining 6 ) & if we have any 6 quarters like the last 6 quarters of 17, a lot if non gt swarm types will be pretty aroused.

Deleted member 2897

I believe you when you say that but just don't understand why you and others on here are alright with our head coach presenting a narrative to the media that is false so he can blame his potential failure on the program and not himself. I guess you guys don't believe he is doing that but that is the way I see it. I think he is running down GT to make himself look better and that is my frustration. You say he is speaking the truth but when I simply look at the facts I see that he is telling a lie. Since we have been playing 13 games consistently we are an 8-5 program which goes back about 20 years. This is a significant difference to me from 6-6. The unwillingness of our fanbase to question Paul Johnson is a concern to me and I think ultimately bad for our program.

Here you go again. Assigning motivations to everyone that they would all disagree with. I guess it’s just time for me to move on. I do wish you would quit though.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Haven’t seen you post much here till now. So I’m curious. Do you attend games?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

If you had ended this post after saying, "I guess you guys don't believe he is doing that," it would have been better.

Almost everything you say after that assumes that we are interpreting his comments the same way you do. We're not. We really do think he was trying to accomplish something different with that discussion than what you are taking away from it.

Like I've said repeatedly, I'm sympathetic to your point of view. I would prefer that coach dealt differently with the press. I would be upset too if I thought CPJ was really simply trying to undersell the program to make himself look better. I simply disagree with your interpretation that that's what he was doing.

Let's just leave it at that and look forward to this year.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Here you go again. Assigning motivations to everyone that they would all disagree with. I guess it’s just time for me to move on. I do wish you would quit though.

I thought I just stated facts. What motivations did I assign?

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
You suggested that our disagreement with you simply arises from the "unwillingness of our fanbase to question Paul Johnson." That is assigning a motive.

10-4. I guess I view that as factually what is happening here but that's fine. I liked your last post. Let's drop it and look forward to this year. I'll be in section 224 dreaming of a national championship run at noon on Saturday.

Go Jackets!

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ will win no awards for how he handles the press. 50 years ago, nobody would care. Unfortunately, today people do care how the coach (CEO) represents the program in public. It's unfortunately a part of the job and in large part why a head coach 50 years ago toes would curl if they saw modern day compensation. I'm happy with CPJ, very happy. As a coach, how could you find someone better? I do agree with some posters in this thread who think it sounds like he's dogging the program and expectations. Lots of people complain about Braine when he made that comment about Tech football, but they sound kinda similar. I wish we had his coaching prowess and experience with a more forward thinking, salesman-type coach. I used to make fun of Dabo relentlessly, but I got to admit, he does a helluva job selling his program and his excitement is contagious. That type of attitude rubs off on potential new fans and recruits.

All that said, nobody will ever be the perfect fit and i think CPJ will go down as one of the all time greats for us. Over the past 10 years or so, he has been getting more pessimistic it seems. In my world (tech start ups), you routinely find companies that disrupt industries. These companies are underfunded, undermanned, but are agile and driven to create superior products compared to the "big boys". I'm not saying this is an apples to apples comparison, I'm just saying there will always be "haves" and "have nots", so I'd advise CPJ to continue to push administration to get closer to the competition (he already has an AD that seems to get it), but keep that pushing behind closed doors. Nobody is going to mistake GaTech facilities for Clemson's or Alabama's, no need to remind the world how far behind we are...The message our coach should exude is the same message his assistants demonstrate frequently on their twitter feed, that Ga Tech is a great place to be.

**Disclaimer** There are posters on this board that would throw themselves in front of a bus for CPJ. I get it, and let me apologize in advance for offending you. Please re-read my post and understand how much I admire what Coach has done for the program. This post was merely a comment on things I wish certain things could be improved. Whether you're a CEO or a janitor, every single person has areas to improve and our coach is surely no exception.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I usually like your posts, but this one sides a bit too much with the whiners on the board. I'm getting tired of reading so many thin skinned posts about CPJ's less than sunny demeanor in post practice pressers. He's always been this way, if we're not used to it by now..... We can't praise the guy for being a "tell it like it is" and a "no sugar coating straight talker" and then bash him when he tells it like is and talks straight without sugar. You can tell he hates answering these types of question because he knows what he's gonna say and how it's gonna sound and how he's going to be portrayed but he keeps getting baited time and time again. He should have just stopped after he said answering the question is pointless. But then you guys would complain that he didn't answer the question.

I'm not put off one bit by his point blank honesty. He's tried to go behind the scenes with the hill till he's blue in the face and gotten no where. What do you want him to do, stop trying? And this rant is not directed at Nuke by any means, it's at all the guys who want a cheerleader head football coach. Maybe we should just stop the post practice pressers or not have them broadcasted. I'm all for that if you guys are so put off by coach's refreshing honesty.

Well, you can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people all of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time. :D

Anyway, if you and I agreed on everything, one of us would be unnecessary. ;)

CPJ may well be the best we can do. I've got no real problem with him being coach but he has enough run time that I'm no longer expecting a 9 win season very often. Hopefully we out perform expectations this year and do it.

But I do have a problem with anyone in a public forum representing GT going out of their way to stick a finger in the reporters' eyes. An example was the comment about the depth chart only put out since he had to and it wouldn't bother him at all if it was changed. That was unnecessary animosity IMHO. But that's where we are in the country today.

Anyway, on a bright side, I just upgraded my Sling so I'm guaranteed to get the game if it is on any cable (ESPN/2/3/U) listing. Plus, for the UCF and Pitt game, I'll be in Paris / Switzerland so it won't be a noon game for me but more like 5PM. Great time to watch; recommend that as a solution for those who don't like noon games. :whistle:(y)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Well, you can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people all of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time. :D

Anyway, if you and I agreed on everything, one of us would be unnecessary. ;)

CPJ may well be the best we can do. I've got no real problem with him being coach but he has enough run time that I'm no longer expecting a 9 win season very often. Hopefully we out perform expectations this year and do it.

But I do have a problem with anyone in a public forum representing GT going out of their way to stick a finger in the reporters' eyes. An example was the comment about the depth chart only put out since he had to and it wouldn't bother him at all if it was changed. That was unnecessary animosity IMHO. But that's where we are in the country today.

Anyway, on a bright side, I just upgraded my Sling so I'm guaranteed to get the game if it is on any cable (ESPN/2/3/U) listing. Plus, for the UCF and Pitt game, I'll be in Paris / Switzerland so it won't be a noon game for me but more like 5PM. Great time to watch; recommend that as a solution for those who don't like noon games. :whistle:(y)
Can I crash on your Parisian couch? (Or Swiss, I’m not picky.) ;)