CPJ Press Conference #ALCNvsGT

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Fine, I mean how many do you have? And let's see, only Meyer, Saban, Fisher and Sweeny are the only active coaches to win a National Championship. Which can we afford? CPJ has more BCS appearances than uga during his time here. With "lesser players" according to star ratings. What do you want? Do you constantly need sunshine blown up your a$$? Why do you hold his failures above his accomplishments? Remember that the years of "HE WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED" were a hell of a lot more recent than our last Big Boy Bowl prior to CPJ.
I just keep laughing at this post

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Season starts in a few days. If he finishes at or above our historical 6-6 we can have this discussion in the off-season. If he does worse we probably won’t have to. Let’s see how it plays out.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
So why not say we are an 8-5 team. Go ahead and round up to make the program sound better even at the expense of acknowledging the fact the program is on a downward trend as we hwent from making bowl games for 18 straight years to missing them 2 of the past 3?

Because he doesn't believe it's an accurate way of assessing the program.

If we had 3 straight 5 win seasons with no injury problems, then it would be reflective of a change in the state of the program.

We won 9 games just the year before last. We had a gp5 game cancelled last year as well as losing several bad bounce games. It is simply not accurate to see a downturn in the program.

I know it's all the rage these days to twist facts to fit a preconceived notion, but let's not.

Deleted member 2897

Lol...just a note, I wasn't smart enough to go to Tech even if I had wanted to.:(

That's okay. If I had to apply again today I'd never get in. The Admissions people would call everybody in the office over to look at my application and then laugh hysterically at me.

giphy.gif

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Everyone including myself has been focusing on the amount of wins the program has averaged and while he undersold us in the regard by more than a game, he also oversold how many losses we average per season. I haven’t done any research on the average losses but I’m quite sure it’s not 6 per year. So the question is why would a coach credit his program with fewer wins than is accurate and more losses other than to make himself look better? I like Johnson fine and hope he succeeds, but i am a Georgia Tech fan not a Paul Johnson fan. Some may feel differently.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Because he doesn't believe it's an accurate way of assessing the program.

If we had 3 straight 5 win seasons with no injury problems, then it would be reflective of a change in the state of the program.

We won 9 games just the year before last. We had a gp5 game cancelled last year as well as losing several bad bounce games. It is simply not accurate to see a downturn in the program.

I know it's all the rage these days to twist facts to fit a preconceived notion, but let's not.

Hold on. We are closer to an 8-5 team historically than we are a 6-6 team. How am I twisting facts more than you guys who are defending the 6-6 statement.

Deleted member 2897

Everyone including myself has been focusing on the amount of wins the program has averaged and while he undersold us in the regard by more than a game, he also oversold how many losses we average per season. I haven’t done any research on the average losses but I’m quite sure it’s not 6 per year. So the question is why would a coach credit his program with fewer wins than is accurate and more losses other than to make himself look better? I like Johnson fine and hope he succeeds, but i am a Georgia Tech fan not a Paul Johnson fan. Some may feel differently.

Over the last 50 years prior to CPJ we only would win 8 or more games once every 10 years. He’s not exaggerating unfortunately. I mean we had some good years, but a lot of meh years.

When you play 3 top 10 teams plus a couple of other ranked teams, it’s really hard to win 9-10 games at Georgia Tech. That’s why he (rightly in my opinion) considers 9-10+ wins great.

Deleted member 2897

Hold on. We are closer to an 8-5 team historically than we are a 6-6 team. How am I twisting facts more than you guys who are defending the 6-6 statement.

Over the last 50 years, excluding CPJ, we would only reach 8 or more wins once every 10 years. We’re only an 8-5 team on average if you’re using CPJs tenure, which kind of defeats the anti-CPJ arguments. He has 2 Orange Bowl wins, 3 Coastal Championships, and 1 ACC Championship.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

1) CPJ said 50 years. 6 and 6 is true for past 50 years.
2) CPJ was talking about the state of the program by putting the last few years into the larger context. He also spoke about the number of wins we had two years ago and how close we were to more wins last year.
3) So, when you suggest that he was saying 6 and 6 is all that should be expected blah blah blah you are twisting the facts. You are using the fact of what he said to suggest he meant something which he didn't mean.

So, the question is, why would a "fan" take the words of his team's head coach out of context to make the coach look bad just so that he might make himself look better on the internet?

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I didn't read the 8 pages, so people probably already responded to this comment 100 times, but let me give you my take. You and many others interpret his comments to say its EXPECTED. That is FALSE. He's giving a historical perspective of what we've done as a team. He called 'good' 8 wins. He didn't call 6-6 good. He called 9-10+ wins great. The team's goal many years is to win the coastal...with most players wanting to win the ACC and even make the CFP. None of these guys or the coach or people on this board expect 6-6 and are 'satisfied' with it. Please don't read his comments that way.

Once again, We are not a 6-6 program by any historical metric. You may be ok with our head coach making our program look worse than it is to make himself look better but I’m not. That’s my point here. Our coach should never undersell our product to make himself look better.

Animal02

Banned
Over the last 50 years prior to CPJ we only would win 8 or more games once every 10 years. He’s not exaggerating unfortunately. I mean we had some good years, but a lot of meh years.

When you play 3 top 10 teams plus a couple of other ranked teams, it’s really hard to win 9-10 games at Georgia Tech. That’s why he (rightly in my opinion) considers 9-10+ wins great.
In fairness, these debates should be win percentage, not #of wins....since the # of games per season has increased.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Once again, We are not a 6-6 program by any historical metric. You may be ok with our head coach making our program look worse than it is to make himself look better but I’m not. That’s my point here. Our coach should never undersell our product to make himself look better.
All-time record 728–496–43 (.592)
Years of football completed 125
Simple Math 728/125=5.824 wins per year
Facts are facts and truth is truth Giuliani.

Deleted member 2897

Fake News