CPJ Press Conference #ALCNvsGT

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Oh here we go. Whats next? You gonna ask him if he's an alum or not?

No Nancy. I’m a sidewalk fan myself. But when you start making statements that a fan base is diminishing the program they follow I become curious as to what your own fandom comprises?

Are ya sitting in the stands if you live close enough to attend? Do you make noise for the D? Do you contribute? Do you sit at home watching games on TV and complain because your mutt friends make your life too difficult? Or are in the stands just sitting on your hands scowling at the folks around you because they are making too much noise for your sensitive ears or the sensitive ears of your kids?

So color me curious when throwing rocks at a large portion of the fan base.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
All-time record 728–496–43 (.592)
Years of football completed 125
Simple Math 728/125=5.824 wins per year
Facts are facts and truth is truth Giuliani.

Aaarrrggghh. You are implicitly assuming we played the same number of games a year. We have only been playing organized football for 114 years. Below is our record for the 11 years before those 114 years. Heisman was our coach 114 years ago. Before that, I think everyone here will agree, CPJ is far superior to any of them!

Note that the number of games per season has only recently (since about 1996) gone up to 12 regular season games a year.

fa3s9hxmy57pk716g.jpg

Can I crash on your Parisian couch? (Or Swiss, I’m not picky.) ;)

You can have the floor. I'm not sure we have a couch in some of the rooms we are getting. I believe in keeping hotel costs down and eating/drinking costs up.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Aaarrrggghh. You are implicitly assuming we played the same number of games a year. We have only been playing organized football for 114 years. Below is our record for the 11 years before those 114 years. Heisman was our coach 114 years ago. Before that, I think everyone here will agree, CPJ is far superior to any of them!

Note that the number of games per season has only recently (since about 1996) gone up to 12 regular season games a year.

fa3s9hxmy57pk716g.jpg

You can have the floor. I'm not sure we have a couch in some of the rooms we are getting. I believe in keeping hotel costs down and eating/drinking costs up.
Totally correct. I fully understand this. But, there are a few on this thread that took offense to CPJ implying that we have historically been a 6 win team. My simple demonstration was to show that we are a historically a 6 win, even when you count the early years. But that's what average means.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I am a CPJ homer since I love option football, so there's that. He's obviously beyond disinterested in PR and his offense makes it harder to recruit running backs (Dwyer said so) and and WRs (. There's some arbitrage value added by the O in QB recruiting since a 4 star like graham/jt/barrett is a 4 star option QB, which produces more points than a 4 star receiver/DB. You can @ me on that, but I don't even think I need to look up the points over replacement by position for that...

I think CPJ would get to the playoffs with a wake/duke level defense and someone like cam akers at QB, and I'm willing to be a homer until that happens. Maybe Graham is that guy -- idk. If he is, and the "AI 2020" (lol) uptick in spending comes at the right time, then we could see sustained success. If not, then we get to watch high end triple option football from one of the finest coordinators to call a game. I'm fine with that, but I understand that it's frustrating to watch Clemson and UGA crush us right now.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Okay so I just listened to CPJs radio show and there was certainly more positivity there. I’m a happy camper again and am feeling full of hype and positive vibes. Namaste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I listened to some of our players and am a happy camper again. I don't think the coach makes as much of a difference as some. It seems that schools change coaches and end up about the same after a few years. In any event, I believe in the players. Namaste.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Totally correct. I fully understand this. But, there are a few on this thread that took offense to CPJ implying that we have historically been a 6 win team. My simple demonstration was to show that we are a historically a 6 win, even when you count the early years. But that's what average means.

No problem, but we have been better than a 6 win team when there are 12 regular season games. CPJ is only a 6.8 win coach (=12*.569) so it's the same point. This can't be Lake Woebegone where everyone is above average. I'm looking forward to the team exceeding my nominal expectations!
image.png

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
No problem, but we have been better than a 6 win team when there are 12 regular season games. CPJ is only a 6.8 win coach (=12*.569) so it's the same point. This can't be Lake Woebegone where everyone is above average. I'm looking forward to the team exceeding my nominal expectations!
image.png
One of these days you oughta fix William Alexander's first name in this chart ;)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One of these days you oughta fix William Alexander's first name in this chart ;)

Yeah, you said that before and I forgot. I'll try to fix next year. :unsure: I'll send a refund check tonight:whistle:

Seriously, I do this stuff since I like it. I'm glad that the season is about to start. Never can tell what we are going to get with GT football.

Here's a wiki tidbit on William (aka John):
The Plan[edit]
During the 1927 season, Alexander instituted "the Plan." Tech and UGA had just renewed their annual rivalry game in 1925 after an eight-year hiatus. Georgia was highly rated to start the season and justified their rating throughout the season going 9–0 in their first 9 games. Alexander's plan was to minimize injuries by benching his starters early no matter the score of every game before the UGA finale. On December 3, 1927, UGA rolled into Atlanta on the cusp of a National Title. Tech's well rested starters shut out the Bulldogs 12–0 and ended any chance of UGA's first National Title.[8]

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
image.png
New Guys, Navy has been doing these stats for years. He was very helpful in 14 when we had the good run and we discussed giving Coach a new contract. I wanted to wait till ND , but the stats said go for it.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, you said that before and I forgot. I'll try to fix next year. :unsure: I'll send a refund check tonight:whistle:

Seriously, I do this stuff since I like it. I'm glad that the season is about to start. Never can tell what we are going to get with GT football.

Here's a wiki tidbit on William (aka John):
The Plan[edit]
During the 1927 season, Alexander instituted "the Plan." Tech and UGA had just renewed their annual rivalry game in 1925 after an eight-year hiatus. Georgia was highly rated to start the season and justified their rating throughout the season going 9–0 in their first 9 games. Alexander's plan was to minimize injuries by benching his starters early no matter the score of every game before the UGA finale. On December 3, 1927, UGA rolled into Atlanta on the cusp of a National Title. Tech's well rested starters shut out the Bulldogs 12–0 and ended any chance of UGA's first National Title.[8]
Yeah I gotcha man. Just playing with you. I do the ticket site for the same reason.

He ‘27 game was amazing. We were also accused of drenching the field before the game to slow down their offense. Funny...I always thought everyone played on the same field. Anyhow, we still won. THWG