CPJ Press Conference #ALCNvsGT

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
PJ never seems comfortable in the post practice sessions with the press. His mannerisms suggest he would rather be anywhere but there. He can be quite short with them and often condescending. That is his personality. Unfortunately those same guys have the power of the pen and when things don't go well, they can get negative in a heartbeat. That is especially true in Atlanta where those guys seem to look for controversy or try to create it. I live in the RTP area and for the most part the local press here is very positive for the colleges here. It is a far cry from what I see in atlanta. They won't cut PJ any slack when we lose. It sure doesn't help our recruiting either.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Everyone has their own opinion I may not agree with it but we all pull for TECH . I like CPJ I have liked all our coaches but one. (BL) but I still wanted to see us win. Remember one thing you are not going to change anyone's mind on here. So Just show up for the games wear gold white or navy blue but show up and be loud.

TechTyler_17

Georgia Tech Fan
Everyone has their own opinion I may not agree with it but we all pull for TECH . I like CPJ I have liked all our coaches but one. (BL) but I still wanted to see us win. Remember one thing you are not going to change anyone's mind on here. So Just show up for the games wear gold white or navy blue but show up and be loud.

I like it. And I do love Tech! And just like I don’t like our president, I love our country and will hope he succeeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
@4shotB: "Spurier at Duke and UF, Bobby Bowden at FSU come to mind. The guys that explode through barriers and obstacles that others before them couldn't. Just like in business and politics, the good Lord didn't make many of them."

I watched the press conference and don't see much difference between CPJ and Saban as they both speak their minds. Saban was extremely annoyed last week about injuries that took out a few starting Linebackers and said: "Do you think we just #**# out another player when one gets hurt?" If CPJ said that he would be excoriated by the media!

Saban has won multiple National Championships at Bama, that is certainly by historical standards, the Flagship of college football. So he gets a free pass on his comments.

IMO GT is currently fighting the headwinds in college football and CPJ presents our best opportunity for success. If this defensive coordinator can get it done, and I believe that he will because he's a lot like CPJ himself on the defensive side of the football, then I believe 8+ wins a year will become the norm.

I'm ready for the season to start and looking forward to getting behind this team and program 100% just as everyone on this board. This offense is HATED by our opponents and that gives GT a mental edge going into each game. I enjoy this offense tremendously, and also savor the competitive edge it brings to this team even before the game starts. BTW, it also annoys our opponents fans bases and that puts a smirk on my face all season long.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
@4shotB: Saban was extremely annoyed last week about injuries that took out a few starting Linebackers and said: "Do you think we just #**# out another player when one gets hurt?"
Isn't that exactly what 'Bama does, given the way they exploit recruitment and scholarship rules, to have a refrigerator full of 4* players waiting for playing time and/or a scholarship? The press in the room should have had the balls to say, "yeah, compared to every other program, you can."

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
After reading a couple of pages y’all had me doubting what I thought I heard CPJ say. I would suggest everyone go back and listen again. He said historically speaking we are about a 6-6 team( he is basically correct we have averaged either a 6 or 7 wins. We have .575 winning percentage of all seasons. So, and average season is 6 wins. He didn’t say he wanted or would be happy with a 6 win season. He is just saying it is average an season at GT. He also said a good season is 8 or 9 wins. I think most would consider an 8 or 9 win season a good season. He said a great season would be 10 or 11 season, again I think we would all agree that would be a great season. In another question he basically said our goal is to win them all. If anyone thinks that CPJ will be happy with a 6-6 season then you don’t have any understanding him.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
@4shotB:

If this defensive coordinator can get it done, and I believe that he will because he's a lot like CPJ himself on the defensive side of the football, then I believe 8+ wins a year will become the norm.

I'm ready for the season to start and looking forward to getting behind this team and program 100% just as everyone on this board.

Agree 100% with everything you wrote. I admit to being a bit of a "doubting Thomas" but nothing would make me happier than for coach and the new DC to have unprecedented (and sustainable) success.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I had to listen to this to entire presser. After listening:

1) CPJ saying we are about a 6-6 team and 8-9 wins is a good season is correct. CPJ has been a 57% winning coach, which is 6.8 wins in a 12 game season. That's the same as Gailey. 114 Years of GT Football – How will history repeat?

2) He's right no one cares about the labor pains, they only want to see the baby. But he needs to be excited and talking about the beautiful baby. A lot of his job is to build enthusiasm. I don't think Dabo is as good of coach as CPJ but in terms of enthusiasm, he is 10,000% better than CPJ.

3) Swilling got hurt this week a a frickin scooter and won't play. All D1 football players should be banned from those things.

4) His comment about the depth chart was especially snarky. Something like "I had to do it and it may change, if it does I don't care."

5) We are losing the spending battles; need more pay for Asst's and the program. I agree. But him telling the reporters they were too lazy to look up the spending stats was petulant and unnecessary. Yes I know CPJ is the smartest guy in the room. But the smartest guy in the room should be smart enough not to act that way.

6) I liked his discussion of when to play guys up to 4 games a year.

7) Davis doing KO and FGs. Wow, King must not have recovered. Ouch. Here are Davis' stats from last year place kicking. He kicked it further than the injured King last year. His two misses in the UT game could have won the game either time. http://www.cfbstats.com/2017/player/255/1070703/kicking/gamelog.html

Overall, CPJ has said that he'll coach as long as he enjoys it. He clearly didn't enjoy this press conference.
Overall alot of GT fans have come to love CPJ more than GT.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I don't need to be coddled myself but whether you like it or not Paul Johnson is our lead salesman and quite frankly he sucks at it. I'm in agreement with most on here as I believe he is a pretty good coach but unfortunately it takes more than that to run a big time college football program. I simply don't find it acceptable for him to be underselling what this program has accomplished and see no reason why he would do it if it wasn't for promoting himself. And quite frankly that runs against everything I value in competitors. I'm looking for a leader willing to fall on the sword, not plunge it into the programs back.
Underselling the program hardly qualifies as promoting himself, right? I'm sorry if he thinks break-even is realistic -- it is disappointing -- but I would be one very surprised Georgia cracker (back when we were allowed to say that) if he coaches that way on Saturday. A news flash that should please the anti-Johnsons: Johnson has been wrong before!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think it can fairly be said he seemed not very enthusiastic even by his normal demeanor. Not sure what to make of that, but it doesn't seem good.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
For now, Paul Johnson is the best fit for GT. I like the tough love he gives his players. That will pay off when they are older. As for as that presser, his body language made him look tired and that he didn't want to be there. Maybe he had a lot on his mind and it just wasn't a good day for a media event. I've seen him better. Switching gears, this season is very important to the Tech football program. Not trying to downplay our early season enthusiasm, we really need to make it to at least a minor bowl this year. I think Paul knows that too.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
OMG the unjustified complaining on this board. I certainly don’t see anything wrong he said about anything. Also his tone was much better than in many of his other interviews. The comments about Tech’s record was after he basically answered the same stupid question 3 times. And it was a really bad series of questions that the only thing you can get out of it is a pissed off CPJ. Now most of the time I the CPJ is unreasonably rude to some of the media. IN that instance I would have gotten pissed if I were CPJ. And what, you are made because he told the truth in response to a question that really has nothing to do with this team and this year and this opponent. This was an incredibly insightful interview. One of the most enlightening interviews his given lately. I enjoyed it immensely because of his candor and the glimpse it gave into what a head football coach has to deal with each and every day. It was much more interesting than the “x player is doing well” responses you are automatically going to get from almost any coach. Certainly the coach isn’t gonna say “this kid is awful. He has regresses since we offered him. I wish I wouldn’t have offered. I thought he would be a much better player.” Nobody is going to say that in response to “how is X doing out there”.

Y’all need to serious stop looking for things to complain about. Take hat with a grain of salt from a CPJ supporter, but damn.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Too many of our fans have cpj derangement syndrome

I can assure you dont get caught up in interpreting how he says something and look at what he is doing. Especially pushing the AD and President. Firing staff. Hiring non coach personnel.

And it is an actual fact gt did avg around 6 wins past 50. Its only until the past 20-25 we are in the 7 win area. Oh my lord. Fakenews. Kill cpj. He is a liar. Lord.

He wants to do great here like anyone. His point is gt is a place that has challenges bigger than one thing that all need to be keeping up with the rest of the league to stay competitive. If not the average speaks for itself

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it can fairly be said he seemed not very enthusiastic even by his normal demeanor. Not sure what to make of that, but it doesn't seem good.

I think there must have been some extra media members at this bigger press conference. CPJ has been much more congenial and upbeat in his daily press meetings all camp. He's had a good rapport with the regular beat reporters this year.

I don't know who asked the "volatile" question, but they clearly already had a story in mind and were looking for coach to 'acknowledge' the program has been volatile. Which CPJ hates. (Most coaches, heck most people hate getting asked leading questions.). Instead, all CPJ game them was an [accurate] quote about long-term win-loss averages at Tech.

TechTyler_17

Georgia Tech Fan
Can we just end this thread now? I’m not a fan of CPJ but I am a fan of this program and want us to win football games. I’m going to put down my gripes with him until January, when we hire Lane Kiffin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Open your ears and eyes... CPJ despises the pressers. He knows that the media would like nothing more than to see him fail or cause him harm. He hates saying the same thing over and over...

Have you heard him on the radio with neutral people not grinding an axe? He is so different!

Haters gonna hate! What is funny is you sound like CPJ at a presser.

CPJ is not a perfect person, but who is? He is not a win at at the cost of ethics, he cares for GT student athletes, he has brought some pretty high highs. Some of you think we can go buy our Saban and have a 10 year ride like Bama. The school has limitations and is an anchor that no other successful coach is going to stick around for 10 years. Really? We are lucky (except on past DC ability).

I sure hope for good things for Paul...

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
We hire Lane Kiffin who hired Kendal Briles after all that crap at Baylor my checks will stop and I'll stop supporting the team. We don't want that stain anywhere near our program.