CPJ Press Conference #ALCNvsGT

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, I get what you are saying, but I interpreted him differently.

I think we want a coach that is working to put the program in the best position to win.

I think it would be fantasyland thinking if a coach came out and said, we're GT so we can beat Bama with volunteer coaches, no staff, and 2nd hand High School gear. And fans have a right to expect that!

We've gone to the Orange Bowl twice under CPJ. The next previous trip was like 65 iirc.

CPJ just turned over his D staff. He's not on idle saying nothing can be done to get better.
I completely agree.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
For the record, what CPJ said was something like, "If you go back 50 years or however far you want to go back, the average year is 6 and 6, so if you win 8 or 9, that's pretty good."

Now, I interpreted his response as saying that if you look at GT historically, this is what you've got. I did not interpret him as saying that this is good enough or that we should be satisfied with that. Earlier when asked about his expectations for the year, he said that we're going out looking to win every game. He did not answer that question by saying, well, we'll be happy if we win more than six.

While I am sympathetic to the idea that CPJ should be more politic about selling our program thru the media, I've come to accept that that's not his style nor will it ever be. Regardless of what I'd like to see.

With that being said, let's look at the data.

Regular Season Results (unverified data source):
For the last 51 years, starting with Bud's first year in 1967, GT has won 319 games or a little more than 6/season (52.9%).
Since we entered the ACC in 1983, the last 35 seasons, we've won 238 games or 6.8 games/season (55.9%).
After Bobby Ross, for the last 26 seasons, we've won 179 games or 6.9 games/season (57.4%).
For the last 20 years, we've won 175 games or 7.25 games/season (59.4%).
Under CPJ for the last 10 seasons, we've won 76 games or 7.6 games/season (58.5%).

Now, these stats obviously don't include strength of schedule. They also include Bowl wins (but maybe not every year?). Some might object that CPJ's wins include more FCS games, and others might counter that the ACC is a tougher league than it was in the past. They also don't take into account flunk-gate wins or any change in APR (which I believed became more stringent in 2006) which may have impacted recruiting.

FWIW, I think that just as might hope for a different kind of response from our Head Coach, I think that we could hope for a more thoughtful response from our fanbase. Saying, "To have a coach choose to run down the program and say 6-6 is about what should be expected and anything beyond that is good just doesn’t cut it for me" in my opinion completely misrepresents what he was saying.

IIRC, he was not responding to the question of expectations for the coming year but measuring the status of the program and whether it's had a down turn over the last few years. In 2016, just the year before last, we won 9 games. Last year, we were just a few plays from winning 8 or 9 in an 11 game season. Over 50 years, we haven't been a perennial 9 or 10 win program, so we shouldn't react like the sky is falling when we don't reach that goal every year. However, that doesn't mean that we still don't do our darndest to reach that goal.

Also averaging 8 regular season wins over the last 20 years would mean winning 67% of 12 game seasons and 73% of 11 game seasons. As I've said, we've won 59.4% of our games (about 7 and 5 on average) over the last 20 years.
I'm gonna have to start liking you as a poster, what the hell is going on? ;)

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@AE 87 Great Data!

The highlights over the last 30 years includes many of the last 10... although 2015 was defiantly a lowlight and 2 no bowl years .

Beating UGA? ACC Championship? Serval 9 plus seasons? 2 Orange bowls? 1 Gator Bowl? I know you want Bama, I know I am wasting air too.

The only data we don't have is what can CPJ do with a great defense when his offense is experienced. I hope we get to see that this year.

CPJ is not perfect. I don't think he would have changed coaches with more money unless you are talking about go hire the defensive coach you want...

Animal02

Banned
Oh come on. People are drawn to Alabama because SABAN wins. We don’t play a style of football that attracts top talent. We could have all the recruiting “resources” in the world except the most important one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tech is not the type of school to draw the top talent. The football style is simply an adjustment to that FACT.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
For the last 51 years, starting with Bud's first year in 1967, GT has won 319 games or a little more than 6/season (52.9%).
Since we entered the ACC in 1983, the last 35 seasons, we've won 238 games or 6.8 games/season (55.9%).
After Bobby Ross, for the last 26 seasons, we've won 179 games or 6.9 games/season (57.4%).
Under CPJ for the last 10 seasons, we've won 76 games or 7.6 games/season (58.5%).

This data sums up my overall thoughts re: CPJ and his tenure. Although I like him and want him to be the next Bobby Dodd, at the end of the day I have to say he has not moved the needle here. Yes, he has increased the standard deviation but the mean remains about the same. It is what it is. For every alleged advantage his system is supposed to bring to the table, the data says it is offset apparently by other things (defensive effectiveness being one of them).

The overall data implies that CPJ is not (to date) a difference maker really. That is going to have to come from TStan. We need a visionary (think Dr. Homer Rice) at that position to really move the needle. The guys who can come in and make quantum changes at the coaching level are rarer than hen's teeth. I have seen one for sure in my lifetime at Tech(Bobby Cremins) and possibly another (Coach Ross). Although there have been a few others I have seen - Spurier at Duke and UF, Bobby Bowden at FSU come to mind. The guys that explode through barriers and obstacles that others before them couldn't. Just like in business and politics, the good Lord didn't make many of them.

Animal02

Banned
This is a great post.

I also think it's important to note that CPJ tried to avoid answering the question by saying any answer would be an excuse (specifically because fans overreact as is apparent in this thread). He said "I can give you my opinion, but it will just be an opinion; an excuse...Some things we can do, and some things out of our control...No body wants to hear the labor pain they want to see the baby." He was repeatedly prodded for information, so he gave his honest opinion. I am not sure what else we would expect here.
He knew what sort of team he had in 2015......nobody wanted to hear it.

TechTyler_17

Georgia Tech Fan
You guys keep trying to say that I’d rather have my coach BS me than shoot me straight. That is NOT what I’m trying to say. At. All. I don’t want a coach to feed me BS or one that looks at everything through rose colored glasses. I want a coach who genuinely believes his team is going to win because: 1) he’s recruited the right players at each position, regardless of “resources”, and 2) he’s created a culture of winning over 10 freakin years.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Well it might help our cause if we can have a halfway decent defense, during the same year we have a booming offense.... If we avg 28 points per game and the other team averages 27.5.... well we are more than likely going to end up .500 most years. We know stupid azz Ted Roof played his favorites, not the best guys always. Lets see how this new D runs and if we can keep up in ACC play well then we all will eat crow..

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
He’s not Dabo or Coach Quinn with the Falcons. He’s ornery which some view as a positive.
Does his attitude hurt in selling the program? Absolutely.
Has he won more games for GT than any other coach not named Dobbs? Absolutely.
Does his offense hurt recruiting and selling GT to the mainstream/millenials? Absolutely.
Does it work/win? Absolutely.

It’s a double edged sword. Ideally I’d like a salesman like Dabo with on offensive scheme like Holgorsen/Kiffin but that comes with downsides too. Mainly can GT keep them?

Animal02

Banned
Well it might help our cause if we can have a halfway decent defense, during the same year we have a booming offense.... If we avg 28 points per game and the other team averages 27.5.... well we are more than likely going to end up .500 most years. We know stupid azz Ted Roof played his favorites, not the best guys always. Lets see how this new D runs and if we can keep up in ACC play well then we all will eat crow..
In fan speak
Best players = potential raw talent that doesn't live up to billing, doesn't follow instructions, doesn't follow the rules.
Favorites= Players that do as they are told for the position, follow rules, etc etc.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You want a coach who does not know the truth and or believes in a positive non-reality?

So coach why did you do so bad last year? I did not do bad, I hit the mean and there is more to it than just "me" as seen in the history!

He could have said, I just did not get it done. We made some changes that is intended to help on defense and the QB is more experienced and the OL is growing in depth.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
For the record, what CPJ said was something like, "If you go back 50 years or however far you want to go back, the average year is 6 and 6, so if you win 8 or 9, that's pretty good."

Now, I interpreted his response as saying that if you look at GT historically, this is what you've got. I did not interpret him as saying that this is good enough or that we should be satisfied with that. Earlier when asked about his expectations for the year, he said that we're going out looking to win every game. He did not answer that question by saying, well, we'll be happy if we win more than six.

While I am sympathetic to the idea that CPJ should be more politic about selling our program thru the media, I've come to accept that that's not his style nor will it ever be. Regardless of what I'd like to see.

With that being said, let's look at the data.

Now, these stats obviously don't include strength of schedule. They also include Bowl wins (but maybe not every year?). Some might object that CPJ's wins include more FCS games, and others might counter that the ACC is a tougher league than it was in the past. They also don't take into account flunk-gate wins or any change in APR (which I believed became more stringent in 2006) which may have impacted recruiting.

FWIW, I think that just as might hope for a different kind of response from our Head Coach, I think that we could hope for a more thoughtful response from our fanbase. Saying, "To have a coach choose to run down the program and say 6-6 is about what should be expected and anything beyond that is good just doesn’t cut it for me" in my opinion completely misrepresents what he was saying.

IIRC, he was not responding to the question of expectations for the coming year but measuring the status of the program and whether it's had a down turn over the last few years. In 2016, just the year before last, we won 9 games. Last year, we were just a few plays from winning 8 or 9 in an 11 game season. Over 50 years, we haven't been a perennial 9 or 10 win program, so we shouldn't react like the sky is falling when we don't reach that goal every year. However, that doesn't mean that we still don't do our darndest to reach that goal.

Also averaging 8 regular season wins over the last 20 years would mean winning 67% of 12 game seasons and 73% of 11 game seasons. As I've said, we've won 59.4% of our games (about 7 and 5 on average) over the last 20 years.

I just ran the numbers again and got 155 wins over the last 20 years. That averages to be 7.75 wins a season and I would think somebody looking to sell the program to the public would round that up to 8 instead of saying we are 6 win a year program over a 50 year period which isn’t even apples to apples as they only played 10 games a year for a portion of that instead of the 12 w-14 we play a year now.

He doesn’t seem to be on tech’s side. He is certainly all about his perception.

BootsCostMoney

Georgia Tech Fan
That was a pretty solid interview, lots of good info and insight. You can not argue that the man doesn’t “own” this program. He’s on it like a hawk. Other than having some Ra-Ra goober cheerleader, I don’t know what more you could want.

I mean, for a bunch of technical-minded, fact-oriented “helluva engineers”, some of y’all are pretty daggum “helluva touchy-feely”. Give us all a break.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I had to listen to this to entire presser. After listening:

1) CPJ saying we are about a 6-6 team and 8-9 wins is a good season is correct. CPJ has been a 57% winning coach, which is 6.8 wins in a 12 game season. That's the same as Gailey. 114 Years of GT Football – How will history repeat?

2) He's right no one cares about the labor pains, they only want to see the baby. But he needs to be excited and talking about the beautiful baby. A lot of his job is to build enthusiasm. I don't think Dabo is as good of coach as CPJ but in terms of enthusiasm, he is 10,000% better than CPJ.

3) Swilling got hurt this week a a frickin scooter and won't play. All D1 football players should be banned from those things.

4) His comment about the depth chart was especially snarky. Something like "I had to do it and it may change, if it does I don't care."

5) We are losing the spending battles; need more pay for Asst's and the program. I agree. But him telling the reporters they were too lazy to look up the spending stats was petulant and unnecessary. Yes I know CPJ is the smartest guy in the room. But the smartest guy in the room should be smart enough not to act that way.

6) I liked his discussion of when to play guys up to 4 games a year.

7) Davis doing KO and FGs. Wow, King must not have recovered. Ouch. Here are Davis' stats from last year place kicking. He kicked it further than the injured King last year. His two misses in the UT game could have won the game either time. http://www.cfbstats.com/2017/player/255/1070703/kicking/gamelog.html

Overall, CPJ has said that he'll coach as long as he enjoys it. He clearly didn't enjoy this press conference.

Last edited:

TechTyler_17

Georgia Tech Fan
I had to listen to this to comment. After listening:

1) CPJ saying we are about a 6-6 team and 8-9 wins is a good season is correct. CPJ has been a 57% winning coach, which is 6.8 wins in a 12 game season. That's the same as Gailey. 114 Years of GT Football – How will history repeat?

2) He's right no one cares about the labor pains, they only want to see the baby. But he needs to be excited and talking about the beautiful baby. A lot of his job is to build enthusiasm. I don't think Dabo is as good of coach as CPJ but in terms of enthusiasm, he is 10,000% better than CPJ.

3) Swilling got hurt this week a a frickin scooter and won't play. All D1 football players should be banned from those things.

4) His comment about the depth chart was especially snarky. Something like "I had to do it and it may change, if it does I don't care."

5) We are losing the spending battles; need more pay for Asst's and the program. I agree. But him telling the reporters they were too lazy to look up the spending stats was petulant and unnecessary. Yes I know CPJ is the smartest guy in the room. But the smartest guy in the room should be smart enough not to act that way.

6) I liked his discussion of when to play guys up to 4 games a year.

7) Davis doing KO and FGs. Wow, King must not have recovered. Ouch. Here are Davis' stats from last year place kicking. He kicked it further than the injured King last year. His two misses in the UT game could have won the game either time. http://www.cfbstats.com/2017/player/255/1070703/kicking/gamelog.html

Overall, CPJ has said that he'll coach as long as he enjoys it. He clearly didn't enjoy this press conference.

This is exactly the type of post I was hoping someone less lazy and more insightful than me would do. Thank you.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is exactly the type of post I was hoping someone less lazy and more insightful than me would do. Thank you.

I'm an engineer so I'm lazy and looking for the efficient way out. Just go to the relevant facts and avoid the pedantic and emotional thought. Follow the money (wins).

Insightful? Maybe, maybe not. Just been around longer and seen the rationales which are the same but in various different forms.

I hope we do great this year. Maybe we will. But past performance is the bar CPJ has to overcome. Maybe no one can.

TechTyler_17

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm an engineer so I'm lazy and looking for the efficient way out. Just go to the relevant facts and avoid the pedantic and emotional thought. Follow the money (wins).

Insightful? Maybe, maybe not. Just been around longer and seen the rationales which are the same but in various different forms.

I hope we do great this year. Maybe we will. But past performance is the bar CPJ has to overcome. Maybe no one can.

Yes. I want us to do well, too! I just hate that on the second f**king day of the first week of the season our coach is being a buzz kill...

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Yes. I want us to do well, too! I just hate that on the second f**king day of the first week of the season our coach is being a buzz kill...

He's only being a buzz kill if YOU allow him to be. Me? I am s**t kicking excited about the start of the season but some of our fans are doing their damnest to kill my buzz ;)