CPJ Press Conference #ALCNvsGT

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Bruce Jordan-Swilling in scooter accident

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...gatech&utm_medium=social&utm_source=gatech_fb

Quarterback TaQuon Marshall downplayed the matter, calling it “just a freak accident.” The nature of the injury is evidently such that it has made Jordan-Swilling a target of his teammates’ grief.
“I mean, it’s been bad,” Marshall said. “The other day in the training room, I could not stop laughing. It was like five of us just laughing. I couldn’t stop, it was so funny. I’m like, ‘Dude, how did this happen?’ But it happens. I hope he gets better really soon.”

TechTyler_17

Georgia Tech Fan
He's only being a buzz kill if YOU allow him to be. Me? I am s**t kicking excited about the start of the season but some of our fans are doing their damnest to kill my buzz ;)

Lol I’m definitely not trying to kill anyone’s buzz. I mean sh*t he could have said “I’m not sure what our record will be, but these boys have worked their as*es off and we’ve put them in the best position to succeed.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TechTyler_17

Georgia Tech Fan
Okay, so his comments don’t blow rainbow skittles up your backside. Ain’t gonna kill my buzz for the upcoming season...

That’s good! I’m happy for you. When we’re 6-6 you’ll be like “see, I’m not even mad because coach told us that’s how it’d be”. I’d rather be pissed off because I expect Tech to be better. You keep doing you. Set that bar low and you’ll never disappoint!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Overall, CPJ has said that he'll coach as long as he enjoys it. He clearly didn't enjoy this press conference.

I don't know CPJ but I wonder if he has always disliked pressers and media relations. I know I would (and did back in my CEO days)> Essentially, you have to be VERY careful to say as little as possible while sounding like you are trying to be transparent and caring. LOL. It is hard to do if you are human.

I think he enjoys being with the players and staff MUCH more and that is the part he enjoys and I hope he continues to enjoy.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Wait to you hear what TQM and Qua say about the level of this years offense...

The most hyped I've ever been for the offense was the offseason heading into 2013 when Vad and all the offensive players were talking about implementing the Washington Redskins offense (when RG3 was the QB), and implementing new passing concepts. In fact, players that just graduated even chimed in saying they wish they had one more season to play in the "new" offense.

2013 got off to a nice start with some new schemes, but then...well, we all know how it ended.

Now I just get excited because I love football and GT, and I enjoy watching our players develop. CPJ is who he is, and the offense is what it is.

I'm not the biggest CPJ fan here, to put it mildly, but I give him a pass on 'negativity' here. It's almost a given that coaches will downplay and boo-bear their own teams. Spurrier was king of this. It's likely to keep the boys humble and focused. I've never heard a coach come out and predict massive success for his team in August. it just doesn't happen.

Was glad to hear he's been working on end-of-half/end-of-game scenarios, as we often look bad in those spots on both sides of the ball.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I just ran the numbers again and got 155 wins over the last 20 years. That averages to be 7.75 wins a season and I would think somebody looking to sell the program to the public would round that up to 8 instead of saying we are 6 win a year program over a 50 year period which isn’t even apples to apples as they only played 10 games a year for a portion of that instead of the 12 w-14 we play a year now.

He doesn’t seem to be on tech’s side. He is certainly all about his perception.

You're right on the 155 for the last 20 years. I had an errors in my spreadsheet. The correct numbers:
1967-2017 (51): 319 wins, 6.3 wins/year; 52.9%, 6.3 wins of 12.
1983-2017 (35): 238 wins, 6.8 wins/year; 55.9%, 6.7 wins of 12
1992-2017 (26) 184 wins, 7.1 wins/year; 57.0%, 6.8 wins of 12
1998-2017 (20) 155 wins, 7.75 wins/year; 60.5%, 7.3 wins of 12
2008-2017 (10) 76 wins, 7.6 wins/year; 58.5%, 7.0 wins of 12

So, saying that we have been a 7 & 5 team on average since joining the ACC would be more accurate than focussing 6 & 6 for the last 50 years. However, saying that we have been an 8 and 4 team over the last 20 years would be a lie.

As I said before, I completely disagree with the spin that you are putting on his comment.

Still, let me repeat, that I am completely sympathetic with the reaction that CPJ should be using press conferences to sell GT. He should come into the press conference with a narrative that he wants to get across that focuses on what's going well for GT football on offense and defense. Then, rather than responding to questions directly, he should respond by spinning from the question to one of his talking points. However, I have come to accept that CPJ is just going to try and answer the questions.

However, it is very difficult to correct someone's misunderstanding of reality without coming off badly. When someone asks a question like, "what explains the downturn in the program," then I think it's legitimate to question the premise that there has been a down-turn in the program. That's what he did.

I really don't see how it would be selling the program to say, "Well over the last 20 years we've averaged 8 wins a year, but, yeah, over the last 3, we've only averaged 6 wins a year. Go GT!"

Buzz*The*Plumber

Jolly Good Fellow
I see both sides. But, I do wish he was a bit more like Pastner in terms of expressing enthusiasm and hope, and doing his darndest to encourage the fans to participate and attend, etc....
That just ain't CPJ, though. He may express these things to the players, and he may be hopeful and positive, he just doesn't come across that way to the media-- which is how you convey information to the public.

Not bashing him, but I am picking.

Having said that, I think he's a really good coach, and I'm M#*&#@ F#$%&*n' excited for this season to get started!!

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
That’s good! I’m happy for you. When we’re 6-6 you’ll be like “see, I’m not even mad because coach told us that’s how it’d be”. I’d rather be pissed off because I expect Tech to be better. You keep doing you. Set that bar low and you’ll never disappoint!
Congratulations—you missed my point entirely.

Let me be more clear: I don't care if Coach said, "Go dwags--woofwoofwoof!" It would not kill my buzz for the team that is going out on the field for us this year. I am hyped for this team, this season. If you are not, you need to change your panties and get over CPJ.

For what its worth, my bar this season is set at an ACC championship, and a berth in the CFP. I don't expect us to actually go that far, because it is a very, very difficult accomplishment for a non-factory team like Tech. But it's still what I want to see.

DO NOT put words in my mouth about how I'd be happy with a six-win season. Seems to me, with the axe you want to grind about CPJ, you're the one hoping for a season like that.

Last edited:

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
That’s good! I’m happy for you. When we’re 6-6 you’ll be like “see, I’m not even mad because coach told us that’s how it’d be.”

And you’ll be happy to say “I told you so” if we’re 6-6.

Hope you enjoy the season!

TechTyler_17

Georgia Tech Fan
Congratulations—you missed my point entirely.

Let me be more clear: I don't care if Coach said, "Go dwags--woofwoofwoof!" It would not kill my buzz for the team that is going out on the field for us this year. I am hyped for this team, this season. If you are not, you need to change your panties and get over CPJ.

For what its worth, my bar this season is set at an ACC championship, and a berth in the CFP. I don't expect us to actually go that far, because it is a very, very difficult accomplishment for a non-factory team like Tech. But it's still what I want to see.

DO NOT put words in my mouth about how I'd be happy with a six-win season. Seems to me, with the axe you want to grind about CPJ, you're the one hoping for a season like that.

Alright, alright. I’ll be civil. Not only because I don’t want to argue anymore, but because we both love this team and want them to win. I just get pissed off hearing our coach talk like that. I expect better. It’s not cheap buying gear, season tickets, parking, tailgates, etc. I’m pumped that the season is about to start too.

I just wish the guy leading the charge was as excited as I am. He’s certainly not selling me lol.

TechTyler_17

Georgia Tech Fan
And you’ll be happy to say “I told you so” if we’re 6-6.

Hope you enjoy the season!

I promise you I won’t be that guy. I want to win 10 games. That’s the bar for me. Only losses to Clemson and Georgia in the regular season. Another to Clemson in the ACC championship game. I just want CPJ to be as excited for the season as I am and it pisses me off that it doesn’t sound like he is. I digress lol.