CPJ On Current Transfers - Fair Article?

Jmonty71

Banned
Oh, come on! Generally, when people decide they're going to put their bodies on the line against the state - that, if you'll recall, looks askance at resistance of this type - they have a much better reason then a "sense of entitlement". And "instant gratification" doesn't usually lead to a desire to confront the cops. You have to be really ticked off about something to get to that stage. We've seen plenty of reasons for that recently, btw.

I might also add that this whole business about building the self-esteem of children is a sword that cuts both ways. If a kid hasn't got the confidence to confront obstacles, then she'll never try to do it. True, you can get kids who think they are the cat's pajamas and won't face the fact that they aren't, but, hey, I grew up in the '60s and I knew a lot of kids like that. On the whole, I'd rather have a kid who will buck up under pressure because they have confidence that they can do better (the Cat testifies how that works above) then a kid who doesn't think they can cut it and gives up. The best student I ever had blistered the course in high school with a D+ average; she was a beautiful young woman and her family told her that she'd never get married if men thought she was smarter then they were (truth: she told me). She got into our college on an administrative whim after sitting out 2 years. But she knew she was smart and, three years later (early grad), she was a full scholarship student at Duke Law. Because she thought she could do it.
I grew up in the 70s and 80s. I was taught hard work. However; this generation has seemed to lose that. When I played football, you didn't get a trophy for just being on the team. Times are different now.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I know of a football coach who once transferred from Georgia Southern to coach Navy, and then from Navy to coach some team in Atlanta. Wonder what Johnson might say about that?
How long did he stay at each job? Are they worse off or better off for his years of service?

Last edited:

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
How long did he stay at each job? Are they worse off or better off for his years of service?
The schools didn't transfer, he did., and the real argument is whether Paul Johnson is worse off or better off. I don't argue he should or should not change schools. But this business of coaches targeting students for what they do themselves is hypocrisy. A coach isn't worried about citizenship. He is trying to protect his roster. I wish reporters would man up and call them on it.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
The schools didn't transfer, he did., and the real argument is whether Paul Johnson is worse off or better off. I don't argue he should or should not change schools. But this business of coaches targeting students for what they do themselves is hypocrisy. A coach isn't worried about citizenship. He is trying to protect his roster. I wish reporters would man up and call them on it.
. You lost me. I'm gonna transfer out of this thread.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
Thank god! I was worried that players were leaving b/c CPJ systematically over-recruited at certain positions, especially DB. Good thing the players leaving are a societal flaw and not in any way a flaw with our program.

Also, as a millennial who has never received a participation award, can someone direct me to where I can pick mine up? sounds pretty dope.

Also, just a few reminders about me that are probably representative of my generation:

(1) unless you're 75+ years old, I've lost a lot more close friends to war than you have.

(2) over half of you probably couldn't get in to GT today. Some of you are out of touch of how competitive it is at the top of my generation. Your stereotypes seem to focus on a broad, undefined view of my generation, while your "good ol days" memories are oddly specific.

(3) the cost of college has skyrocketed in the past 15 years. State funding per student has decreased, among other factors. This is largely due to decades of underfunding YOUR healthcare and social security entitlements coupled with YOUR tax breaks. Lol do you think anyone in my generation thinks we'll collect social security? Do you know how much your child's share of the U.S. national debt is?

(4) I graduated in the worst economic period of anyone on this board (unless you're 85+ years old)

(5) in my very last class at GT, my professor told our class "your lifetime earning will be millions of dollars less than the people who graduated 10 years before you and who will graduate 10 years after you. Most of you will work in jobs that add no value and should/will be replaced my computers in the near future. It won't be easy, but you better accept this now and start trying to figure something out". (Is this what you mean by a safe-space?)

(6) I scored in the top 1 percentile on the LSAT & got a 6 figure scholarships to top-14 law schools. after my first year, the best internship i could get was a full-time unpaid gig. I worked probably an average of 60 hours a week without pay. {sorry for feeling entitled that I should be compensated for my work, especially on a college football blog)

(7) if you compare apples to apples, the top percentage of my generation is more diverse, cultured, well read, better at math/science, has 100000x more access to information than your generation. Ironically, not many people in this category have self-confidence. most of the people i went to school with had severe anxiety, self-doubt, mental-illness, severe low self esteem. imagine being the top of your class and spending your whole life working towards obtaining these degrees, only to realize that there's nothing there for you, and none of it mattered. suicides aren't uncommon. neither are addictions to prescription pills and overdoses. It's a very sad way to lose a friend. But again, sorry for being over-emotional.

I can't speak for every millennial, but I don't think the problem is that we feel entitled to anything. If anything, we're too cynical and think this whole damn system is one big scam. . . the follies of knowing math. The problem, from our perspective, is that the older generation feels entitled to tell us how to live. I'm sorry, ya'll dropped the ball in a big way. What confidence do we have in you to blindly submit to your authority? The past few decades of that haven't worked out too well for us. Maybe it's time to look in the mirror rather than yelling at the kids to get of your lawn.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Get off my lawn :cigar:

All kiddin aside. Every generation has losers and heroes. The individuals determine which they shall be.
Well, yes, but some generations have more losers then winners and that isn't always because of individual effort. I see his point, though I think he could have been more rational in making it.

Thank god! I was worried that players were leaving b/c CPJ systematically over-recruited at certain positions, especially DB. Good thing the players leaving are a societal flaw and not in any way a flaw with our program.

Also, as a millennial who has never received a participation award, can someone direct me to where I can pick mine up? sounds pretty dope.

Also, just a few reminders about me that are probably representative of my generation:

(1) unless you're 75+ years old, I've lost a lot more close friends to war than you have.

(2) over half of you probably couldn't get in to GT today. Some of you are out of touch of how competitive it is at the top of my generation. Your stereotypes seem to focus on a broad, undefined view of my generation, while your "good ol days" memories are oddly specific.

(3) the cost of college has skyrocketed in the past 15 years. State funding per student has decreased, among other factors. This is largely due to decades of underfunding YOUR healthcare and social security entitlements coupled with YOUR tax breaks. Lol do you think anyone in my generation thinks we'll collect social security? Do you know how much your child's share of the U.S. national debt is?

(4) I graduated in the worst economic period of anyone on this board (unless you're 85+ years old)

(5) in my very last class at GT, my professor told our class "your lifetime earning will be millions of dollars less than the people who graduated 10 years before you and who will graduate 10 years after you. Most of you will work in jobs that add no value and should/will be replaced my computers in the near future. It won't be easy, but you better accept this now and start trying to figure something out". (Is this what you mean by a safe-space?)

(6) I scored in the top 1 percentile on the LSAT & got a 6 figure scholarships to top-14 law schools. after my first year, the best internship i could get was a full-time unpaid gig. I worked probably an average of 60 hours a week without pay. {sorry for feeling entitled that I should be compensated for my work, especially on a college football blog)

(7) if you compare apples to apples, the top percentage of my generation is more diverse, cultured, well read, better at math/science, has 100000x more access to information than your generation. Ironically, not many people in this category have self-confidence. most of the people i went to school with had severe anxiety, self-doubt, mental-illness, severe low self esteem. imagine being the top of your class and spending your whole life working towards obtaining these degrees, only to realize that there's nothing there for you, and none of it mattered. suicides aren't uncommon. neither are addictions to prescription pills and overdoses. It's a very sad way to lose a friend. But again, sorry for being over-emotional.
What many people fail to realize is that if the millenials are so bad, they were reared by GenXers or Boomers. So it's really our fault.

I can't speak for every millennial, but I don't think the problem is that we feel entitled to anything. If anything, we're too cynical and think this whole damn system is one big scam. . . the follies of knowing math. The problem, from our perspective, is that the older generation feels entitled to tell us how to live. I'm sorry, ya'll dropped the ball in a big way. What confidence do we have in you to blindly submit to your authority? The past few decades of that haven't worked out too well for us. Maybe it's time to look in the mirror rather than yelling at the kids to get of your lawn.

What many people fail to realize is that millenials were reared by GenXers and Boomers, so if anything, it's our fault.

18in32

Georgia Tech Fan
I assume you already know this, but for everyone else on the board who might not, almost no firms hire first-year law students for paying gigs... so the fact the font took a "full-time unpaid gig" after his first year is not a meaningful data point for him. The good news is that after your second summer, you should make a lot doing relatively little. Of course, at some point you'll have to join the workforce as an actual lawyer. Good luck.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I'm try to bring this thread back on the rails.

The coaches won't say it but they play a big part in this entitlement culture especially when they're on the recruiting trail. Not going to find many straight shooters like CPJ. There are plenty of kids who have been "sold a dream" of how great everything is about said school and how the opportunity is there for them play day 1 or get the first carry if they signed ala Richt.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I remember one QB that CPJ recruited. And, he may tell many of them this same thing. He said, "In this offense, I can make you 2 promises: You might rush for 1,000 yards. And, you'll get the hell knocked out of you." If I remember correctly, that kid signed.

I'm pretty sure that's an example of straight-shooting.

Animal02

Banned
I'm try to bring this thread back on the rails.

The coaches won't say it but they play a big part in this entitlement culture especially when they're on the recruiting trail. Not going to find many straight shooters like CPJ. There are plenty of kids who have been "sold a dream" of how great everything is about said school and how the opportunity is there for them play day 1 or get the first carry if they signed ala Richt.
And I am sure it is just as bad around the rest of the SEC.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
. You lost me. I'm gonna transfer out of this thread.
Try this: Johnson left for presumably better opportunities. The players leave for better opportunities. Period. So why do we whine and complain about a perceived lack of commitment, accountability, world without end, amen? He got more money. They want playing time, and they are going to make a much bigger sacrifice than a coach: for no reason at all except to bind them to their first, 18-year-old, choice, they lose a year of eligibility. And the 50-year-old coach rolls on, looking for the next score. Sounds somewhat like baseballs old reserve clause:: play for me at my salary or don't play at all, ever again. Let's do away with that, or make the coaches sit out a year, unpaid. Seems simple enough to me.

Animal02

Banned

Will not break done all your errors......but you missed by a mile on #3. The costs have not skyrocketed because of underfunded pensions and healthcare....in fact my wife, a tenured full professor at the U of Mich., gets no pension.....it is a 401k like most of the rest of the world......she also pays a good chunk of the health care plan. The reasons for the cost increase can be traced back to the feds. The cost of compliance and the growth of the administrative level of staff, over expansion from the "free money" from the feds in the past are just a couple of the factors.