CPJ On Current Transfers - Fair Article?

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
Que all of our alumni on this board giving us their "back when I was at Tech, I got shafted in this way" lol. Why do we all get sucked into this every time. Probably because we all good shafted so bad. Hahahhaha

It wasn't a shaft. It was me, not knowing what I was doing, and taking a year or so to figure it out. (I could have just listened to my Dad, but I didn't because I was 18 and knew way more than he did, ha ha.)

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
It's not just the football team. I skated through high school without really trying, and my first quarter at Tech was a rude awakening. As in something like a 2.7 GPA. My only "A" was in marching band (grade based on attendance). It took a full year for me to get my schtuff together and start making good grades again. I went from being one of the best in HS to being little better than average at Tech until I figured out the connection between effort and results. If you never make that connection, I guess a transfer seems like a good idea.
Wait.... you got a participation "A"? At Tech??

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Lot of reasons. CPJ hit on, perhaps, the big one. But, also, lots of times the parents contribute to this. And so many "broken" homes now. Mom says you should be playing now. Dad, not seeing the son every day anymore, says you have to be patient and earn it. Anyone remember Bud Adams?

Also, the old standby, going from big fish/little pond to tadpole/pacific ocean.

Homesick.

Lovesick.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
Que all of our alumni on this board giving us their "back when I was at Tech, I got shafted in this way" lol. Why do we all get sucked into this every time. Probably because we all good shafted so bad. Hahahhaha
Eh, I actually got a fair shake at GT. I didn't do particularly well, but kept my head above water and got out. I went to another school to learn a trade later, but that's beside the point.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Couple of things that didn't really get emphasis in the article, but that Paul said in the interview--
"I don't know that the kids are all that different. I think it's society in general."

"Some kids have valid reasons for transferring, some kids don't."

"I don't have any hard feelings toward them...."

"I think there are still an awful lot of good kids out there."

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
Couple of things that didn't really get emphasis in the article, but that Paul said in the interview--
"I don't know that the kids are all that different. I think it's society in general."

If anyone here has not listened to the actual interview audio, please take a few minutes and listen to it. The AJC article picks and chooses select quotes from CPJ's interview and pieces them together in a way that makes them sound much different than the context in which he said them. His answers were very well made and several remarks he made about transferring in general were skewed to look like comments specific to our most recent transfers.

https://secure-hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/0...81119800&hwt=dd3be0706a979e5bda4ee0869f7b25a0

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
If anyone here has not listened to the actual interview audio, please take a few minutes and listen to it. The AJC article picks and chooses select quotes from CPJ's interview and pieces them together in a way that makes them sound much different than the context in which he said them. His answers were very well made and several remarks he made about transferring in general were skewed to look like comments specific to our most recent transfers.

https://secure-hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/0...81119800&hwt=dd3be0706a979e5bda4ee0869f7b25a0
You are so right.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer

The audio link is posted in the taxslayer bowl media thread. I listened to it last night and came away with a different feeling than what I got from this thread. he addresses most of what everyone has said here. I thought it was a great interview and CPJ didn't seem to mind discussing this at all. He was very candid.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Honest but not tactful.

This.

It doesn't matter if what he said is true (it clearly is). The reality is that now every kid we recruit will have this twisted and thrown in their faces by folks who are already negatively recruiting against us. "See, that coach don't even care 'bout you, blah, blah, bark ..."

I know, "Aw man, I hate that PC crap. Errybody's so sensitive ..." Spare me. That's all well and good but he's in a position where he has to massage and control the narrative. After all, his success is determined by these idiot kids y'all are raising.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The article is not a very good reflection of the actual interview and the tone is not conveyed at all. I don't think that is because KS is trying to make CPJ look bad. I think it's simply the result of poor journalism in general.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
This.

It doesn't matter if what he said is true (it clearly is). The reality is that now every kid we recruit will have this twisted and thrown in their faces by folks who are already negatively recruiting against us. "See, that coach don't even care 'bout you, blah, blah, bark ..."

I know, "Aw man, I hate that PC crap. Errybody's so sensitive ..." Spare me. That's all well and good but he's in a position where he has to massage and control the narrative. After all, his success is determined by these idiot kids y'all are raising.

Have you listened to the interview yet? Please do so and then come back.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Well wth do you think CPJ should do then? Stop giving interviews? Ain't a damn thing he can do about shoddy journalism other than that.

Man are you feisty early this mornin'. :D

It's not journalism IMO so I wouldn't even call it shoddy. He got exactly what he wanted from CPJ. Something that will make people click. There's little "honor" in that profession anymore and I think CPJ should approach interviews with that in mind.

I'm sure he knows that. He's a 'tell it like it is' kind of guy so it appears he's just resigned to dealing with any "blowback". I sometimes wish he'd just 'play the cliche game' but that just wouldn't be him.