CPJ On Current Transfers - Fair Article?

Cam

Helluva Engineer
He said the same thing before the 2014 season. We had a lot of attrition then too, a lot being because of lack of playing time. He's not wrong, but I don't disagree with a player's decision to transfer because the grind is too much to make not playing worth it.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I teach HS kids. CPJ's comments are spot on. Bless 'em but these young 'uns have no shortage of self esteem these days. Even when they shouldn't. It's not uncommon to hear a kid with a C average and a 19 on the ACT test tell you that he/she is planning to be a neurosurgeon one day. You have to keep a straight face and wish them well. Or a kid who is a 5-8, 160 # second string DB as a junior on a 6-4 team in the lowest classification in the state say he's going to play pro football one day. And he's serious. And has not suffered from concussions or major head trauma. It's unreal. Self esteem is as common as participation ribbons these days.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
So many of them have people from back at home, whispering in their ears. "You're good enough for the NFL....you're the best who ever played here....they just don't understand what they have in you....get out of there to somewhere that will appreciate you."

Like our coaches don't want to win, and wouldn't play the best players.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
Ken does not message CPJ well...

I agree. I don't think he is trying to cast CPJ in a bad light. His writing style is so monotone that it just reads like someone tossed you a bag full of bricks and you were maybe expecting a bag full of feathers. No bad intentions, it just hits harder than you expected.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure every single generation thinks the generations below them are not as tough and have a sense of entitlement. I am sure CPJ's parents said the same thing about his generation.
. True, but CPJ isn't new to this business. He's been coaching long enough to see a shift in attitude in players in general. This isn't him saying my generation was tougher than this one. I've heard him say this before.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I don't even know how to begin to evaluate all this because I don't deal with this population.

I do see that tranfers in general are on the rise. Don't know what to make of it.

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
It's not just the football team. I skated through high school without really trying, and my first quarter at Tech was a rude awakening. As in something like a 2.7 GPA. My only "A" was in marching band (grade based on attendance). It took a full year for me to get my schtuff together and start making good grades again. I went from being one of the best in HS to being little better than average at Tech until I figured out the connection between effort and results. If you never make that connection, I guess a transfer seems like a good idea.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
It's not just the football team. I skated through high school without really trying, and my first quarter at Tech was a rude awakening. As in something like a 2.7 GPA. My only "A" was in marching band (grade based on attendance). It took a full year for me to get my schtuff together and start making good grades again. I went from being one of the best in HS to being little better than average at Tech until I figured out the connection between effort and results. If you never make that connection, I guess a transfer seems like a good idea.
Que all of our alumni on this board giving us their "back when I was at Tech, I got shafted in this way" lol. Why do we all get sucked into this every time. Probably because we all good shafted so bad. Hahahhaha

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It's a new generation thing. Instant gratification. Ie; participation trophy.... I tend to agree with CPJ. You see it. Something doesn't go your way, you protest and riot and think it's ok. It's more than sports. It's a new way of living.
Oh, come on! Generally, when people decide they're going to put their bodies on the line against the state - that, if you'll recall, looks askance at resistance of this type - they have a much better reason then a "sense of entitlement". And "instant gratification" doesn't usually lead to a desire to confront the cops. You have to be really ticked off about something to get to that stage. We've seen plenty of reasons for that recently, btw.

I might also add that this whole business about building the self-esteem of children is a sword that cuts both ways. If a kid hasn't got the confidence to confront obstacles, then she'll never try to do it. True, you can get kids who think they are the cat's pajamas and won't face the fact that they aren't, but, hey, I grew up in the '60s and I knew a lot of kids like that. On the whole, I'd rather have a kid who will buck up under pressure because they have confidence that they can do better (the Cat testifies how that works above) then a kid who doesn't think they can cut it and gives up. The best student I ever had blistered the course in high school with a D+ average; she was a beautiful young woman and her family told her that she'd never get married if men thought she was smarter then they were (truth: she told me). She got into our college on an administrative whim after sitting out 2 years. But she knew she was smart and, three years later (early grad), she was a full scholarship student at Duke Law. Because she thought she could do it.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Football is a very tough thing when you are sitting on the 2nd or 3rd team - a lot of effort for what? I don't have a problem with Coach's comments, he is just telling the truth. Nevertheless, for those that are buried on the depth chart, I don't blame them at all for transferring/quitting. It's more of those guys on the edge. I might argue with him that it's the rules rather than the kids that have changed. Now it's acceptable to transfer, in the old days it was harder and not as well accepted.