CPJ interview - Nov 11

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
only thread i saw where this would be appropriate.

" One of my teammates (at Pace Academy) was a senior, Timothy Coleman, he plays at Richmond right now. The previous Georgia Tech O-line coach (Mike Sewak) had come to our school, and I guess he thought I was Timmy. He kept calling me Timothy and that just turned me off from ever going to look at their school.” "

wonder how many times that happened under sewak? i liked cpj but did not like sewak.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...tnJ2CafiXV5SdEE10K/?__twitter_impression=true

For some strange reason, that sheds a lot of light on why sewak seemed to have an iron clad, job for life contract.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
only thread i saw where this would be appropriate.

" One of my teammates (at Pace Academy) was a senior, Timothy Coleman, he plays at Richmond right now. The previous Georgia Tech O-line coach (Mike Sewak) had come to our school, and I guess he thought I was Timmy. He kept calling me Timothy and that just turned me off from ever going to look at their school.” "

wonder how many times that happened under sewak? i liked cpj but did not like sewak.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...tnJ2CafiXV5SdEE10K/?__twitter_impression=true

How embarrassing. As an aside, I stupidly clicked the link to read that article. I get that UGA has gotten the better of us for the most part but wow.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Then why, pray tell, did we give Paul such a hard time? He was the moneyball football coach personified.

Oh, I know! I know! He didn't provide the fans with enough excitement! That's all it takes. Obviously.

Yup, that’s it. Wasn’t the fact that he had 2 losing season in his last 4 years. Or that he averaged 7.5 wins/year just like his predecessor. Or the fact that the program was headed in the wrong direction.

It was definitely just that we as fans weren’t excited enough...

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think I've finally figured it out. The CPJ worshippers are so hung up on GT as nerds that they feel like they can only be proud if we are running a "unique" (i.e. nerdy) offense. Please just give it up. He is gone. Not one person on this message board influenced that decision.

GT has been successful in the past without the 3O. We can be successful in the future without it. Other schools that are not traditional powers have been and are successful without it.

I don't know if Geoff Collins has what it takes to bring that success. But two things are true. (1) The program needed to go in another direction because it was dying on the vine despite CPJ's successes over an 11 year period. And (2) we are guaranteed not to be successful with half of our fan base acting like petulant children and complaining that the previous guy didn't get a fair chance. Either we support GT and Collins efforts or we get to look up from being stepped on by hob-nailed boots for the foreseeable future.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think I've finally figured it out. The CPJ worshippers are so hung up on GT as nerds that they feel like they can only be proud if we are running a "unique" (i.e. nerdy) offense. Please just give it up. He is gone. Not one person on this message board influenced that decision.

GT has been successful in the past without the 3O. We can be successful in the future without it. Other schools that are not traditional powers have been and are successful without it.

I don't know if Geoff Collins has what it takes to bring that success. But two things are true. (1) The program needed to go in another direction because it was dying on the vine despite CPJ's successes over an 11 year period. And (2) we are guaranteed not to be successful with half of our fan base acting like petulant children and complaining that the previous guy didn't get a fair chance. Either we support GT and Collins efforts or we get to look up from being stepped on by hob-nailed boots for the foreseeable future.

SO which is it? Message board diatribe does not affect coaches and programs and didn't force CPJ to retire or it does affect the program and the people complaining are hurting CGC's chances?

Can't be both...

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

Somewhat true, however WHen GT has been most successful we have ran some variation of option football. Now it hasn't always been from the wishbone (Dodd, Rodgers) Or the flex (johnson) but our best success has come from offenses that included it. Fridge ran a ton of option just out of multiple sets even Nix's best offense was based of what would later be the Zone Read schemes. So if we want to go since Dodd.

Dodd - Wishbone (late)
Carson - Wishbone Defense lead team (we fired him for not winning 8 games a year and he went on to revolutonize the NFL with the steelers 3-4/)
Rodgers -Wishbone option
Curry - New Fangled offense called west coast paired with power run. It failed.
Ross - Fridge offense Multiple option run and shoot. (was good but not at first with Curry's players.)
****** - dumpster fire offense
O'leary - Fridge 2.0 More option.
Gailey - Prostyle with spread concepts (early) Power run and Air Coryall concepts late (05-07)
Johnson- Spread option with run an shoot. (more run oriented and option heavy here than some other places he coached)
Collins - Dumpster fire 2.0 (would say multiple spread but I couldn't tell you what we were going to run week to week this year we really did change offenses with each QB during the three QB experiment and then once graham got it we seemed to also waver)

But basically through pretty much all of GT's history from 1956 forward we have been option based more than we have not.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
I too liked Paul. Paul’s gone. It’s time to realize he left. Everyone still obsessing over him sounds like a teenage girl that got dumped. Get the **** over it! Enjoy the past. Embrace whats new and move on. And if you can’t well, go watch Navy and stop ****ing crying!
Couldn’t have said it better. Loved the m f’er. I’d love to have him here 30 more years but it ain’t happening. I’m all in with GC. I think he can get the studs in here to play. May have to tweak a coach or two, but I’m a believer. Let’s see what happens after at least the start of year 3.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yup, that’s it. Wasn’t the fact that he had 2 losing season in his last 4 years. Or that he averaged 7.5 wins/year just like his predecessor. Or the fact that the program was headed in the wrong direction.

It was definitely just that we as fans weren’t excited enough...
Beg pardon? So after being whipped like small children by Ugag, you are convinced we are headed in the right direction? Were you a Jonestown survivor or something?

And, like I said, after this year I'm SO in for 7.5 wins a year.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Ehh.. he made have showed them some blocking alternative or some option principles, but the Raven success is do to having a QB who is completing 67% of his passes
And can run basic option like plays with his deception and his feet. Watching him today beat the 49ers was fun. He will be a 1000 yd rusher this year in addition to his 67% completion rate. Not shabby He will probably set the NFL record

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
And can run basic option like plays with his deception and his feet. Watching him today beat the 49ers was fun. He will be a 1000 yd rusher this year in addition to his 67% completion rate. Not shabby He will probably set the NFL record

Saw something fly by on the ticker about that game - the 49ers failed on a 4th and 1 with 6:33 left in the game ... and never saw the ball again. Sound familiar?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Ehh.. he made have showed them some blocking alternative or some option principles, but the Raven success is do to having a QB who is completing 67% of his passes

While the tendency for this fan base might be to oversell CPJs impact with the Ravens, I think you are underselling it as well. True, having a QB with the ability to complete passes at a 67% clip is ideal, but credit to the Ravens for going outside the box to try and utilize their QB to the best of his abilities. Also, I would posit that LJs running ability, coupled with a solid NFL OL, make it a whole lot easier to hit 60%+ passing. Not only do they have the ability to keep a pocket formed, but LJ is forcing an extra defender to stay in, which means better chances for the WRs to get open. The Ravens are probably going to the SB because of his ability to run the ball, which opens up the passing game.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Beg pardon? So after being whipped like small children by Ugag, you are convinced we are headed in the right direction? Were you a Jonestown survivor or something?

Haha, you're a trip. I get it you love Paul, the option and think that is the only way we can compete. I think you and those like you are wrong. Did you catch the dwag game last year? Year before that? Can you not see the programs were going in two different directions?

I will give you something, we did look like "small children" out there against them. We did the year before too. Remember the Searcy meme floating around? We look like "small children" mostly thanks to your hero and his recruiting (or lack there of). The latter is the reason I and most think we are headed in the right direction. To compete with grown men, we need to recruit grown men and not "small children" as you called them. The guy we currently have has a history of being a great recruiter, brought in assistants that are great recruiters, and is well on his way to bringing in a class that is significantly better than any your hero ever did.

So you can continue making jokes about a massacre and settle for 7.5 wins/year trending in the wrong direction. I'd like to shoot for better. I also wholeheartedly believe if Paul stayed another 2-3 years, that 7.5 average would've dropped seeing how he was below .500 the last 4 years. I guess that's good enough for you though because we were in the top 10 in rushing yards every year. And that's all that matters amirite?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Haha, you're a trip. I get it you love Paul, the option and think that is the only way we can compete. I think you'd those like you are wrong. Did you catch the dwag game last year? Year before that? Can you not see the programs were going in two different directions?

I will give you something, we did look like "small children" out there against them. We did the year before too. Remember the Searcy meme floating around? We look like "small children" mostly thanks to your hero and his recruiting (or lack there of). The latter is the reason I and most think we are headed in the right direction. To compete with grown men, we need to recruit grown men and not "small children" as you called them. The guy we currently have has a history of being a great recruiter, brought in assistants that are great recruiters, and is well on his way to bringing in a class that is significantly better than any your hero ever did.

So you can continue making jokes about a massacre and settle for 7.5 wins/year trending in the wrong direction. I'd like to shoot for better. I also wholeheartedly believe if Paul stayed another 2-3 years, that 7.5 average would've dropped seeing how he was below .500 the last 4 years. I guess that's good enough for you though because we were in the top 10 in rushing yards every year. And that's all that matters amirite?

Did you catch the uga game in 2016?

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

How would you fill in the blank?

"So being whipped like____by ugag last year...."

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Did you catch the uga game in 2016?
You mean the year UGA hires a new coach who had never seen the option before? The year they went 7-5 in the regular season? GT beat UGA 3 times under CPJ. ‘08 was CPJ’s first season, and the first time UGA had seen the option. ‘14 UGA hired a new DC, and ‘16 when UGA hired a new head coach. I’ve stated before that CPJ’s Tech teams dominated opponents in who hadn’t seen the option before, that’s why he killed the Atlantic crossover opponent, and why yearly opponents caught up to it.