CPJ interview - Nov 11

Animal02

Banned
CPJ did confirm something I’ve been saying for a while now. The a academic restriction excuse needs to die on both ends. There is big enough pool of qualified athletes and staying eligible is not as hard as well
They still have to want to major in one of our limited degree offerings. Something like 35 compared to a school like Michigan State that offers 180+, or degrees like "turf management" that Clemp offers.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
CPJ did confirm something I’ve been saying for a while now. The a academic restriction excuse needs to die on both ends. There is big enough pool of qualified athletes and staying eligible is not as hard as well
Did he say this after the interview? In the interview he said no one from this institute is trying to harm or hold back the program. He didn’t say academics don’t play a role in who we can get (he has said the opposite in previous interviews). It would be interesting to know what he said if it was not a part of the interview.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
They still have to want to major in one of our limited degree offerings. Something like 35 compared to a school like Michigan State that offers 180+, or degrees like "turf management" that Clemp offers.

It's more complicated than that. I reviewed Clemson's roster last year and over half of the squad listed Pre-Business as their major, even seniors. Pre-Business at Clemson is strictly a Freshman level course of study.

Also, a friend of mine was a tutor at UGA. He told me that players at UGA struggle to spell C-A-T. And he wasn't joking. These kids should not be in school but are because they can play. Tech, for the most part, insists on legitimate studies. I like that.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
It's more complicated than that. I reviewed Clemson's roster last year and over half of the squad listed Pre-Business as their major, even seniors. Pre-Business at Clemson is strictly a Freshman level course of study.

Also, a friend of mine was a tutor at UGA. He told me that players at UGA struggle to spell C-A-T. And he wasn't joking. These kids should not be in school but are because they can play. Tech, for the most part, insists on legitimate studies. I like that.

There was also the in-game feature several years ago during a UGA game (believe the game was on CBS) regarding one of their star receivers (think it was Malcolm Mitchell) more or less admitted he couldn’t read upon entering UGA. The feature was on this inability and how he was into book clubs/reading clubs toward the end of his college career. How does someone get into college (or through high school) without solid reading ability? I was watching the game with several UGA fans (about all there is as close to Athens as I live), and even they lowered their heads when I looked around the room during the feature.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer

I’ve always said it’s not about how hard the academics are, though that certainly is a factor for many recruits and it’s reputation speaks for itself.

However, I think the biggest issue is how narrow the academics are. My two best friends and I basically grew up at Bobby Dodd Stadium. All three of us lived and breathed GT and would have loved to go to GT. None of us gave it serious thought when we started looking at schools because they didn’t offer anything we were interested in.

There was also the in-game feature several years ago during a UGA game (believe the game was on CBS) regarding one of their star receivers (think it was Malcolm Mitchell) more or less admitted he couldn’t read upon entering UGA. The feature was on this inability and how he was into book clubs/reading clubs toward the end of his college career. How does someone get into college (or through high school) without solid reading ability? I was watching the game with several UGA fans (about all there is as close to Athens as I live), and even they lowered their heads when I looked around the room during the feature.
LOL....I bring this one up all the time. Mitchel could not read or write........how then do you take an SAT or ACT.....

hotpocketsyum

Georgia Tech Fan
LOL....I bring this one up all the time. Mitchel could not read or write........how then do you take an SAT or ACT.....
Its not that he couldn't read or write, its that it he didnt have any interest in it and discovered that he wanted to get better at it and ended up making his own foundation to help childrens literacy for kids with dyslexia and made CBS because of that non-profit he started and also due to the fact the he published his own childrens book to make sure kids dont make the same mistake he did and learn too late.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Its not that he couldn't read or write, its that it he didnt have any interest in it and discovered that he wanted to get better at it and ended up making his own foundation to help childrens literacy for kids with dyslexia and made CBS because of that non-profit he started and also due to the fact the he published his own childrens book to make sure kids dont make the same mistake he did and learn too late.

No the segment actually said that he only read at an elementary school level and that he was going to library reading groups in order to learn to read...

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

If true, I want to know how these kids learn the playbooks/ assignments. Not to mention diagnose plays in real time if they struggle with elementary concepts. Seems like they should have alot of busted assignments?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Erm...you do realize they only needed 20 points to beat us last year, as well, right? I hate that I am participating in keeping this stuff going, but some of these takes are just so bad.

What if i told you that I wasnt comparing offenses. I was ponting out that our offense is so allergic to the end zone you dont need that many points to beat us.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck

That was pretty much my point. How do you take any kind of entrance exam if you read at such a low level? But then again, I don’t think many of us here are fooled into thinking that elite “student” athletes at these factories are there for their academic prowess. And the UGA fans around me knew exactly what that segment/feature was showing...not a one of them was proud of it being featured.

Animal02

Banned
If true, I want to know how these kids learn the playbooks/ assignments. Not to mention diagnose plays in real time if they struggle with elementary concepts. Seems like they should have alot of busted assignments?
Because lots of them have focused, or had someone focus them on football or whatever sport from a very early age. Parents etc that are more concerned about getting their kid a scholly than actually succeeding in school. Football camps, training year round etc etc.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Still as blunt as a butcher. It was a relief to hear that again. The constant hype while we are losing was getting very hard to take.

And, yes, it really does come down to money. Other schools put it up - even (horrors!) Puke - and Tech doesn't. That has to change if we are to stay competitive, never mind win 8 - 10 games a year. Paul is right; his program's success was his biggest enemy. People thought that if he could get results like 2014 and 2016 with the budget he had, he could finesse the rest. And he really did come close; if Dedrick had not been dismissed, he'd still be coach at Tech.

And, as he says, about ready for some time off. There's only so long you can continue in a high pressure job where people expect what are, in fact, miracles given the resources you have. I hope that Collins is able to pull in the cash needed or he will find himself disappointing unrealistic Tech fans, just like Paul did.

Well, we'll see. Problem = if we keep losing for a couple of years, finding the money to keep things going will become very hard indeed.

Well, Mitchell was a WR but where this is particularly the case is D line players. I would bet most of these guys are very similar in their inability to really get into school. To play that position does not require a lot of thinking. Particularly in todays passing world where your job is to go get the QB. Thus it is why I keep saying that this position is the hardest for Tech to get those really good players. And this is why our defense lacks.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Still as blunt as a butcher. It was a relief to hear that again. The constant hype while we are losing was getting very hard to take.

And, yes, it really does come down to money. Other schools put it up - even (horrors!) Puke - and Tech doesn't. That has to change if we are to stay competitive, never mind win 8 - 10 games a year. Paul is right; his program's success was his biggest enemy. People thought that if he could get results like 2014 and 2016 with the budget he had, he could finesse the rest. And he really did come close; if Dedrick had not been dismissed, he'd still be coach at Tech.

And, as he says, about ready for some time off. There's only so long you can continue in a high pressure job where people expect what are, in fact, miracles given the resources you have. I hope that Collins is able to pull in the cash needed or he will find himself disappointing unrealistic Tech fans, just like Paul did.

Well, we'll see. Problem = if we keep losing for a couple of years, finding the money to keep things going will become very hard indeed.

I'd say if Bobinski never came to GT, CPJ would still be here.

That man literally tried everything he could to make CPJ's job impossible, and on top of that, turned some donors off on CPJ which lasted even after Bobinski left. He literally wanted CPJ gone, and what he did to try to get rid of CPJ adversely affected the programs to this day. What Bobinski did took a lot out of CPJ's passion for this profession, and his love for GT. Had 2014 not happened, CPJ probably would have been fired.

Bobinski will go down as one of the worst hires GT has ever made.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd say if Bobinski never came to GT, CPJ would still be here.

That man literally tried everything he could to make CPJ's job impossible, and on top of that, turned some donors off on CPJ which lasted even after Bobinski left. He literally wanted CPJ gone, and what he did to try to get rid of CPJ adversely affected the programs to this day. What Bobinski did took a lot out of CPJ's passion for this profession, and his love for GT. Had 2014 not happened, CPJ probably would have been fired.

Bobinski will go down as one of the worst hires GT has ever made.
Other than hiring Pastner, what did Bobo do here?