CPJ interview - Nov 11

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m new to GT sports: can someone pretty please give me a GT sports history lesson? And while doing so, can you give me a revisionist version that enlightens me on things that never happened?

If this sounds silly, just look back at every thread and ask yourself: do people come to this site for history lessons? To live in the past?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I’m new to GT sports: can someone pretty please give me a GT sports history lesson? And while doing so, can you give me a revisionist version that enlightens me on things that never happened?

If this sounds silly, just look back at every thread and ask yourself: do people come to this site for history lessons? To live in the past?
If you think the actions of the athletic director from 6 years ago aren’t having direct impact on our program today, then there is no helping you. People care about this because we want to see GT succeed. Having an AD purposefully sabotaging our program is not something a fan should be okay with.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
I believe that if Tech would’ve won that 2009 game, the outlooks for both programs would be drastically different. Richt’s seat would’ve been hotter than it already was at the time, and if they would’ve had the same 2010 season and lost to GT to miss a bowl game he would’ve been gone. Maybe they would’ve hired somebody like Bill Lewis. Also the losing streak in Atlanta would’ve ended, and Tech would’ve won 2 in a row for the first time in a decade. I’d like to think there’s an alternate universe somewhere where Tech hangs on to that ‘09 game and takes control over the state, at least for a while.

But I really wish they would’ve won one of those home games, because I don’t see the home losing streak ending until at least 2023. Hopeful for competitive games again in 2021-2022.

It's all Bay Bay's fault for that dropped 4th down pass. He went on to have a stellar NFL career while he left the program in shambles.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I disagree. We had increases in both 2010 and 2015, both of which were momentum-killing seasons.

PJ going 6 of 11 vs mutts would've had a greater effect on his tenure here than any AD hire would have.
Season ticket sales always go up during years we have mutt games. Not sure why this would be surprising to anyone.

Animal02

Banned

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
If you think the actions of the athletic director from 6 years ago aren’t having direct impact on our program today, then there is no helping you. People care about this because we want to see GT succeed. Having an AD purposefully sabotaging our program is not something a fan should be okay with.
You realize that's a conspiracy theory, right? I mean come on people. Do you even think before you repeat this crap?

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
You realize that's a conspiracy theory, right? I mean come on people. Do you even think before you repeat this crap?

I've heard stuff like the ACC scheduling didn't like PJ (never got a reason 'why') thus all the scheduling favorability to Duke and others, and that the refs hated him too, thus all the bad calls (again, never a reason 'why'). I've even heard some of our fans claim that the recent downfield-blocking rules changes were specifically designed to target PJ and his offensive scheme.
:rolleyes:o_O:ROFLMAO:

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
We always have increases in odd years as uga is a home game for us.

still doesn't take away from the fact that wins in 09 & 13 (and maybe 10 and 15) would've been HUGE for our program. I know that's not as sexy as a conspiracy theory but no amount of $$ should've prevented a victory in 2013 or 2009. The '09 team was more talented than the mutt squad, which was so bad defensively, they fired their DC after the game.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
still doesn't take away from the fact that wins in 09 & 13 (and maybe 10 and 15) would've been HUGE for our program. I know that's not as sexy as a conspiracy theory but no amount of $$ should've prevented a victory in 2013 or 2009. The '09 team was more talented than the mutt squad, which was so bad defensively, they fired their DC after the game.

What, materially, would have changed if we had won those two games?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I dont think there was a conspiracy. I do think MBob was bad at his job, never "got" GT, and was biding his time for another job.

I dont think additional money would have made a huge difference in wins, losses and recruiting during the CPJ era, but I do think we would be in a better position now.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
What, materially, would have changed if we had won those two games?

Well, just the 08 & 09 seasons alone led to a (at the time) state-of-the-art indoor practice facility. For all the revisionist history here, it's interesting that this is just ignored when it comes to the discussion of Spending. Had we won in 09 and 13 (and maybe 10 and 15), we're literally Running The State. Imagine that - wins vs the mutts in 13,14,15 & 16?

I believe that would've bumped in-state recruiting and fan interest (and thus fan spending) much more than spending a few more million on recruiting assistants. On-field results would trump in-house visits. Seeing is believing.

And the idea itself that we didn't spend $$ under PJ is a bit of revisionist history and excuse-making. Below is an example of that. PJ's salary itself is an example. The guy was NOT underpaid.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...ovide-recruiting-edge/QiesehC4QE0uId7I77SbjP/

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Well, just the 08 & 09 seasons alone led to a (at the time) state-of-the-art indoor practice facility. For all the revisionist history here, it's interesting that this is just ignored when it comes to the discussion of Spending. Had we won in 09 and 13 (and maybe 10 and 15), we're literally Running The State. Imagine that - wins vs the mutts in 13,14,15 & 16?

I believe that would've bumped in-state recruiting and fan interest (and thus fan spending) much more than spending a few more million on recruiting assistants. On-field results would trump in-house visits. Seeing is believing.

And the idea itself that we didn't spend $$ under PJ is a bit of revisionist history and excuse-making. Below is an example of that. PJ's salary itself is an example. The guy was NOT underpaid.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...ovide-recruiting-edge/QiesehC4QE0uId7I77SbjP/

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefoot...ollege_football_where_does_syracuse_rank.html

We were ranked 61st of 65 P5 teams in football spending as of 2017. Please explain to me how we didn't spend enough on football is revisionist history?

Your "proof" is nothing but supposition that doesn't change the facts. Our program fell behind EVERY program in the ACC except Wake Forest in the NCAAF arms race.

So, tell me again how winning two rivalry games would have burst open the floodgates of spending that would have avoided this fiasco we find ourselves in now. It's probably better than the rest of the fiction I will hear today.

Be careful with that statement about on field results. We face this horrendous season and probably next year losing. How will that affect recruiting?

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
https://www.syracuse.com/orangefoot...ollege_football_where_does_syracuse_rank.html

We were ranked 61st of 65 P5 teams in football spending as of 2017. Please explain to me how we didn't spend enough on football is revisionist history?

Your "proof" is nothing but supposition that doesn't change the facts. Our program fell behind EVERY program in the ACC except Wake Forest in the NCAAF arms race.

So, tell me again how winning two rivalry games would have burst open the floodgates of spending that would have avoided this fiasco we find ourselves in now. It's probably better than the rest of the fiction I will hear today.

LOL - My "proof" was a literal article that links to a $9 Million state-of-the-art practice facility that PJ asked for....and got. Where is ANY proof whatsoever of the laughable conspiracy that our AD was "out to get PJ"? What a load of paranoid nonsense.

I often see Duke used as the great example of increased spending re:recruiting. However, when you look at the recruiting results, they are almost identical to ours. Yet, the on-field results of the last half of PJ's tenure here were extremely lop-sided.

Our program's recruiting was middle of the pack throughout PJ's tenure. In 2017, Duke was 8th, we were 9th. So even after all this Increased Spending, they beat us by 0.06 points (184.46 to 184.40) in 2017.
https://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/?Conference=ACC

Yet, only due to the backyard-play heroics of JT in 2016 did we not lose 5 in a row to a team that is almost literally the same on the recruiting trail as we are, regardless of how much $$ they spent.

So tell me again how spending more $$ was going to suddenly get higher-ranked kids to want to play in PJ's offense or defense when even after our most successful years, the recruiting rankings barely budged.

It's a fallacy. PJ's scheme was more of a hindrance to improvement than any amount of spending was going to fix, esp. at the key positions on the OL and DL. We're seeing the effects of the scheme on OL and DL this year (and every year recently, esp. on the Defensive side of the ball).

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Be careful with that statement about on field results. We face this horrendous season and probably next year losing. How will that affect recruiting?

Obviously we don't have the answer to that yet. I'm betting that guarantees of frosh playing time and the general attitude of the program will offset most of the negativity of this season. Fortunately, most HS kids are more interested in what they can contribute in years to come rather than caring what happened to a team they weren't a part of last year. Obviously, had we won some of those mutt losses, the general attitude of the program would've been more positive in (say) post-2013 than it ended up being.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

The entire Georgia Tech fan base lives and dies by what happens versus Georgia. We ask, “What’s the good word?” before every single home game. They show highlights of an FCS team scoring against Georgia while Tech is getting beat by an FCS team. Both of the fight songs reference beating Georgia. The Ramblin Reck itself has “To Hell With Georgia” on it. You don’t think winning 7 out of 9 and 4 in a row against them, after being dominated for 3 decades wouldn’t have changed anything about Georgia Tech sports? Of course it’s all hypothetical and meaningless now, but how can you not see the significance those games had?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
What is a conspiracy? Under Bobinski’s tenure, GT fell to one of the smallest athletic department budgets in the nation, the 61 out of 65 smallest football budget in P5 teams, and the lowest recruiting staff of any of our opponents. Whether through negligence, malice, or sheer incompetence, it was still his decisions that negatively hurt the program. If your problem is with my use of the word sabotage, there is negligent sabotage, but I can understand why you may think my word choice implied more.

This is also not revisionist history. There were many AJC articles at the time of Bobinski’s departure that said his leaving was good for our athletic department.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...nction-under-bobinski/MMtNNZBExQvrM6l6fyJ5XK/

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
The roster had a lot to do with the precise timing of his retirement. He wouldn’t have won 6+ games with this crew.
I think the defense would have definitely hamstrung this group seeing how I doubt it would be much better with Woody. However, Temple and Pittsburgh are games I think we definitely win with Johnson's offense. Also, being able to match our opponents in scoring instead of just punting it back to them after they score changes game like against Duke or UNC. I think we end up splitting one of those two. Still obviously lose to Clemson. Probably still lose to UVA. Most likely lose to UGA, but I think he would have beaten both VT and NC State. At the very least, split. Ultimately probably ends up going 7-5 or 8-4 (5-3). Biggest issue towards the end for CPJ was that he was never beating Clemson or UGA again, and probably wasn't going to run the table against Coastal opponent, so the best case scenario was 9-3, but we all know there were going to be at least a loss or two more sprinkled in there.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer