CPJ interview - Nov 11

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Of the 8 teams UGA plays regularly, only one of them won 50% of their games against them from 2008-2018. We actually had the same record as Auburn and Tennessee against them. They have actually improved since then. That doesn’t mean we have been successful against them but at some point you have to accept that they are a pretty tough team to beat.
Yesssss. Especially down at Sanford. Paul had more success there then at Bobby Dodd. Which is truly weird.

And you think we're frustrated? Think about those poor, suffering gamecock fans. USCe beats them about once in a coon's age. They were party-hardy this year.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Now, now. Lewis was 5 - 6 in both his full years as head coach. He was fired because a) George was already in place to take over and b) we were 1 - 7 in his last year before he was fired. If Collins does something like that in his third year, he'll go too. Oth, I think there'd be a lot less angst around here if we had gone 5 - 6 this year.

Absolutely true but so many times we had a chance for a signature win and let it slip away, the FSU game being the most well known but we had a highly ranked Arizona team on the ropes and lost to them as well. We had some talent on those teams but not enough to overcome so pretty mediocre to bad coaching.

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
What resource was CPJ wasn’t given compared to now? The Jet was readily available to CPJ, Twitter, IG, FB we’re readily available & HS still had the same open door policies. Resources wasn’t going to change CPJ camp policy or his offer policy to OL

No matter the staff size or money would’ve changed the perception of the offense
Surely there is some amount of money that would have improved the W-L records during CPJ's time. Based on [1], GT's football program spent $17.38 million in 2016-2017. According to [2], "the coaching transition from Paul Johnson to Geoff Collins was an unbudgeted expenditure that cost about $6 million." That's roughly 35% of the GT football spending in 2016-2017 for solely whatever is included in "coaching transition." I know there remained some payoff for CPJ to retire, but I don't think it approached $6 million. Also according to [2], there was $6.7 million surplus prior to the start of 2019 fiscal year, so it's not like there wasn't money available to allocate (not saying GTAA should, but it gives context on what they're willing to invest in vs save).

[1]: https://accsports.com/acc-news/how-much-acc-schools-spend-football/
[2]: https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...eased-revenues-future/9U39mJ6svTyiFt1FCVzryL/

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Yesssss. Especially down at Sanford. Paul had more success there then at Bobby Dodd. Which is truly weird.

And you think we're frustrated? Think about those poor, suffering gamecock fans. USCe beats them about once in a coon's age. They were party-hardy this year.

They have beaten them 5 of the last 10 years, though most of that was the Spurrier years, I assume.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
What resource was CPJ wasn’t given compared to now? The Jet was readily available to CPJ, Twitter, IG, FB we’re readily available & HS still had the same open door policies. Resources wasn’t going to change CPJ camp policy or his offer policy to OL

No matter the staff size or money would’ve changed the perception of the offense
But a larger staff would have changed his ability to recruit.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

How much recruiting budget was there? How many non coaches were there for recruiting resources? How much did they spend on coordinators, even though we didn't have/need an oc?

Come in ballin, Geoff's gotten more than Paul has. I ain't complaining about it either because that's great for GT.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely correct. A bigger staff would have allowed CPJ to reach more kids who didn’t want to play in the TO.
Offense was great, just needed a real qb which was lacking for 2 seasons.

Where this would have helped was on d line recruiting which would have single handedly made the whole program better.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
How much recruiting budget was there? How many non coaches were there for recruiting resources? How much did they spend on coordinators, even though we didn't have/need an oc?

Come in ballin, Geoff's gotten more than Paul has. I ain't complaining about it either because that's great for GT.
Does the recruiting budget affect CPJs ability to interact with HS coaches? Did it affect the staff’s ability to interact on social media? Did it affect how much effort they were able to put into recruiting? The current staff is doing “more with less” in recruiting the same way CPJ did it with scheme. The current recruiting budget and staff is still minuscule compared to a lot of the teams Tech is competing with. The current staff is bringing in much better recruits because of effort. CPJ and Co. never put this much effort into recruiting, regardless of limitations.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Does the recruiting budget affect CPJs ability to interact with HS coaches? Did it affect the staff’s ability to interact on social media? Did it affect how much effort they were able to put into recruiting? The current staff is doing “more with less” in recruiting the same way CPJ did it with scheme. The current recruiting budget and staff is still minuscule compared to a lot of the teams Tech is competing with. The current staff is bringing in much better recruits because of effort. CPJ and Co. never put this much effort into recruiting, regardless of limitations.
I am not discrediting or discounting the fact that this staff seems to be on the recruiting game. That was never my point.

My point was that had we had the same level of resources we have now, but for the past decade, recruiting could have been better than it was. The better recruiting combined with the superior coaching would likely have led to more wins.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
I am not discrediting or discounting the fact that this staff seems to be on the recruiting game. That was never my point.

My point was that had we had the same level of resources we have now, but for the past decade, recruiting could have been better than it was. The better recruiting combined with the superior coaching would likely have led to more wins.
Agree. It’s not really that hard. People here want to disagree because they feel like any thing positive about CPJ is a slight at the current staff.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Absolutely correct. A bigger staff would have allowed CPJ to reach more kids who didn’t want to play in the TO.

I know you're trying to be funny, but I believe the correct statement should be "a bigger staff would have allowed CPJ to reach more kids who wanted to go to school and play at GT."

Clearly Justin Thomas relished the chance at QB. We can always find skill guys a stone's throw away, but casting a wider net nationally could've gotten us the 4* DT from Nebraska who wanted to major in Civil Engineering.

I don't think throwing money at the situation would've done too much. Sure, it would've helped some with things like Catapult purchases and recruiting staff, but I think in this day and age the old-school tactician needs to have a GM. Meaning, Money + CPJ + Suddes/a GM would've made the situation a lot better. Just a guess, but I don't think Mike Leach would do well at Clemson or Ohio State or Texas without a GM to take the burden off some of the things he (and probably CPJ) "hate" doing. Those guys are X's and O's coaches. Give 'em a greaseboard and let 'em design and call plays. Having them monitor twitter 24 hours a day is a waste of time for them.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Balls.

Paul and co. were on the road all the time and cast a very wide net indeed. (Like to, say, OZ and Germany.) What they couldn't do is send reps to possible high schools like Collins has. In part this is due to staffing. We just recently added more staff - I helped pay for them - and we have continued this year with good results. Oth, Paul wasn't kidding in his interview when he said he was tired of fighting with one hand tied behind his back. There was also his staff's experience with the results of recruiting. Paul had worked long and hard to get the exceptions we now have from the Hill. He also had 10 years of experience with players who came in and couldn't stick. Every player who came in and didn't cut it made it more difficult to keep up with the expectations he had fostered to get the exceptions in the first place. That's why Tech was hitting the private schools so heavily; those students were more likely to stick. Everyone here seems to think a wider net will work, long term. Maybe so; there's no doubt that the pool of certain positions is deeper now due to the change in scheme. Now all the staff has to do is keep the young men in school and on progress toward a degree.

There is this style difference; Collins does more initial contacts then Paul did. He tended to sell the parents on visits to Tech more then show up at midnight to visit prospects or similar gimmicks. This isn't to say that Paul didn't visit prospects; he did and a lot. But he didn't make such a big deal out of it and a lot of the initial and continuing contacts were with assistants instead.

You are right about the size of the recruiting budget and attendant staff and I wish you weren't. Our recruiting infrastructure should be second to none, but when the program is starved for years on end - and it was - it is hard to ramp up quickly. Let's hope this is an obstacle that Collins won't be forced to face much longer.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Are you that butt hurt about not being Vandy or less, since Dodd? You do know what happened in the 60's right? The tsunami of great talent thrust upon CFB wasn't exactly a great fit for GT, huh? It still isn't. STEM ain't cool. High school graduation rates, math scores, and reading scores are still sadly pitiful, even 50 years later.

None of what you proclaimed (either true, false or discriminatory) has a thing to do with the school giving money or assistance they are allowed to by law yet still do not.

Are you still so butt hurt that all you can do is make excuses about GT not doing what it can do?

You think we haven’t added a bunch of areas of study totally different from your reference point?

Do you know that girls are now allowed to go to GT?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Can you see freaking Sewak in a copter?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
To put it into perspective Paul beat Georgia three times in ten years and is considered still to this day by some as successful vs UGA. What a joke.

CPJ was 3 out of 11, but yeah.

I think Carson, Pepper, Ross & GO’L had a better winning % vs ugag than CPJ. curry was close.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
None of what you proclaimed (either true, false or discriminatory) has a thing to do with the school giving money or assistance they are allowed to by law yet still do not.

Are you still so butt hurt that all you can do is make excuses about GT not doing what it can do?

You think we haven’t added a bunch of areas of study totally different from your reference point?

Do you know that girls are now allowed to go to GT?
Facts: There's nothing discriminatory about my post--nothing--got it? None, absolutely none, of the courses/programs added are for helping the program at all. Look up the meaning of excuses and challenges/handicaps --- the differences will enlighten you.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
In evaluating CPJ & staff as a recruiter, it is critical to consider when he became GT's HC. It was right when social media and smart technology adoption accelerated among the masses. I think GT's general lack of funding / infrastructure was exacerbated by these trends - now Bama and Clemson can employ whole armies to manage social media and recruiting contacts.

On top of that, many of CPJ's staff were old - rather that be in terms of age or personality (I like Jeff Monken a lot, but his demeanor / posture doesn't seem as inviting of new branding / marketing and social media). All of CPJ's assistant coaches were genuinely good people who enjoyed engaging with recruits / young people. But I question the degree to which they committed to engaging with recruits on these new platforms / technologies.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I know you're trying to be funny, but I believe the correct statement should be "a bigger staff would have allowed CPJ to reach more kids who wanted to go to school and play at GT."

Clearly Justin Thomas relished the chance at QB. We can always find skill guys a stone's throw away, but casting a wider net nationally could've gotten us the 4* DT from Nebraska who wanted to major in Civil Engineering.

I don't think throwing money at the situation would've done too much. Sure, it would've helped some with things like Catapult purchases and recruiting staff, but I think in this day and age the old-school tactician needs to have a GM. Meaning, Money + CPJ + Suddes/a GM would've made the situation a lot better. Just a guess, but I don't think Mike Leach would do well at Clemson or Ohio State or Texas without a GM to take the burden off some of the things he (and probably CPJ) "hate" doing. Those guys are X's and O's coaches. Give 'em a greaseboard and let 'em design and call plays. Having them monitor twitter 24 hours a day is a waste of time for them.

Maybe. For the period ‘13 - ‘17, Nebraska produced 0.1% of blue chip football recruits. Ten states produced over 70% of the blue chips.

If Tech can’t recruit in GA and FLA where it is known, it becomes an escalation of commitment with diminishing returns to chase 1 guy here or 1 guy there.

I have players in my classes and assistant coaches I talk to. The general vibe is this ... Atlanta is in the middle of core SEC country. HS kids want to play where they can play against their friends and that usually means other SEC teams.

Auburn’s biggest parade of the year was Wreck Tech. Gone. Alabama’s fight song features the Yellow Jackets. NOT playing these teams reduces visibility in the very area we’re competing for kids. The only way to make this up is a massive recruiting budget for kids who may not really care who they play.

So the choice is improving Awareness and Consideration through scheduling (free promotion) or do it through recruiting (an operating expense).

If I were TStan, I’d drop Alcorn State and add Auburn. Drop Gardner Webb and add Vanderbilt. Yes ... we’ll have to win games but we’re likely to attract local kids who are motivated.

just my opinion