CPJ interview - Nov 11

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Has Geoff Collins beaten Georgia yet??? But we really digress.... I guess! (You are wrong... Bill Lewis did not beat Georgia)

Former coaches, that is (one year?). But yeah, I forgot about Bill Lewis. Point is, the reason Gailey lost his job isn't his overall record, it's his 0-6 record against Georgia.

Put it this way: No coach who was here more than three years failed to beat Georgia - not in this century, the 20th century, or the 19th century.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Former coaches, that is (one year?). But yeah, I forgot about Bill Lewis. Point is, the reason Gailey lost his job isn't his overall record, it's his 0-6 record against Georgia.

Put it this way: No coach who was here more than three years failed to beat Georgia - not in this century, the 20th century, or the 19th century.
Are you predicting Geoff Collins will be fired after 2021? Or are you saying Geoff Collins beats Georgia in 2020 or 2021?

Milwaukee

Banned

To put it into perspective Paul beat Georgia three times in ten years and is considered still to this day by some as successful vs UGA. What a joke.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Bill Lewis did not beat a lot of teams, UGA does not have anything to be proud about from that era except their fans leaving the Gator Bowl during the third quarter of another Gator beatdown.
Now, now. Lewis was 5 - 6 in both his full years as head coach. He was fired because a) George was already in place to take over and b) we were 1 - 7 in his last year before he was fired. If Collins does something like that in his third year, he'll go too. Oth, I think there'd be a lot less angst around here if we had gone 5 - 6 this year.

Milwaukee

Banned
Yeah, it's all relative. After Gailey, 3-8 looked good. Hoping that in time, Geoff can raise the bar.

Loved Paul and Loved Chan. Chan unfortunately set the bar so low that Paul benefited from it with his disastrous record vs UGA. I think it’ll take 4-5 yrs to get our program to a point where we can and should win 50% vs UGA.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Chan's floor was 7 wins. During his lone 9 win season, he took us to our 1 ACCCG in his 6 years.

If Chan was allowed to coach the 2007 signing class during their Soph and Junior years, his ceiling would have been ________.

I don't know why, but this entered my mind over the last few days and I've struggled to triangulate my own opinion, so I'm interested in hearing from others.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Chan's floor was 7 wins. During his lone 9 win season, he took us to our 1 ACCCG in his 6 years.

If Chan was allowed to coach the 2007 signing class during their Soph and Junior years, his ceiling would have been ________.

I don't know why, but this entered my mind over the last few days and I've struggled to triangulate my own opinion, so I'm interested in hearing from others.

Odd for a former QB, but Chan's biggest downfall was that he couldn't develop quarterbacks, and he never hired an assistant who could. What they were when they got here is what they were when they left. Had he gotten himself a good QB coach he might still be here today. He had an excellent eye for underrated talent.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
To put it into perspective Paul beat Georgia three times in ten years and is considered still to this day by some as successful vs UGA. What a joke.
I don’t completely disagree, but in the last 50 years we only have 17 wins, and 3 of them are CPJ coached teams.

I’d love for any future coach to turn things around, but historically we have won around 3.5 games per 10 against uga for quite some time. CGC will have his work cut out to break this trend, so here’s hoping Todd is there to give him what he needs.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I don’t completely disagree, but in the last 50 years we only have 17 wins, and 3 of them are CPJ coached teams.

I’d love for any future coach to turn things around, but historically we have won around 3.5 games per 10 against uga for quite some time. CGC will have his work cut out to break this trend, so here’s hoping Todd is there to give him what he needs.
Let’s say the average is 3 of 10 for beating the mutt & winning 7 games per year (7-6). Year 1 is in the books; 0-1 & 3-9. If CGC beats mutt 2 of next 5 games AND averages 8-5 records the next 5 seasons we’ll all be doing backflips.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Odd for a former QB, but Chan's biggest downfall was that he couldn't develop quarterbacks, and he never hired an assistant who could. What they were when they got here is what they were when they left. Had he gotten himself a good QB coach he might still be here today. He had an excellent eye for underrated talent.
I think this misunderstands how Gailey coached.

He knew he had a DC who could make things work. Provided, that is, that the O side didn't turn the ball over. He was a pro coach, basically, and had a strong aversion to mistakes. (It's different now in the pros, but not then.) People always say that he didn't develop Reg, who had great talent as a QB, because his numbers - particularly completion % - went down over time. Actually, I think he did. What he did was tell Reg that if he wanted to stay on the field he would have to make safer throws and be willing to throw the ball away if he didn't see an open man. When he was a frosh, he flung the thing all over the place and had a decent completion % and a lot of TDs. He also had more interceptions then TDs: a major no-no for a coach like Chan. He wanted to play the games close and win with D. My favorite Chan game - and one of my all-time modern favorites - was our 2003 7 - 3 win against Maryland in Fridge's first year there. We got ahead, played good D, and sat on the ball like a slug for the whole game. And Reg kept under control.

Well, that was then; this is now. We can't expect with modern Os that we will be able to win a game like that again. I expect us to play better D next year - we were ok this year, given the injuries - but unless we perk up the O, we will be in deep do-do.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Loved Paul and Loved Chan. Chan unfortunately set the bar so low that Paul benefited from it with his disastrous record vs UGA. I think it’ll take 4-5 yrs to get our program to a point where we can and should win 50% vs UGA.
Of the 8 teams UGA plays regularly, only one of them won 50% of their games against them from 2008-2018. We actually had the same record as Auburn and Tennessee against them. They have actually improved since then. That doesn’t mean we have been successful against them but at some point you have to accept that they are a pretty tough team to beat.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think this misunderstands how Gailey coached.

He knew he had a DC who could make things work. Provided, that is, that the O side didn't turn the ball over. He was a pro coach, basically, and had a strong aversion to mistakes. (It's different now in the pros, but not then.) People always say that he didn't develop Reg, who had great talent as a QB, because his numbers - particularly completion % - went down over time. Actually, I think he did. What he did was tell Reg that if he wanted to stay on the field he would have to make safer throws and be willing to throw the ball away if he didn't see an open man. When he was a frosh, he flung the thing all over the place and had a decent completion % and a lot of TDs. He also had more interceptions then TDs: a major no-no for a coach like Chan. He wanted to play the games close and win with D. My favorite Chan game - and one of my all-time modern favorites - was our 2003 7 - 3 win against Maryland in Fridge's first year there. We got ahead, played good D, and sat on the ball like a slug for the whole game. And Reg kept under control.

Well, that was then; this is now. We can't expect with modern Os that we will be able to win a game like that again. I expect us to play better D next year - we were ok this year, given the injuries - but unless we perk up the O, we will be in deep do-do.

Overall, he was a pretty decent coach. If he could have just beaten Ugag a couple of times...

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
If Paul was given the resources Geoff was given from the beginning, I promise you things would be next different. Regardless, CPJ was historically great at GT.

What resource was CPJ wasn’t given compared to now? The Jet was readily available to CPJ, Twitter, IG, FB we’re readily available & HS still had the same open door policies. Resources wasn’t going to change CPJ camp policy or his offer policy to OL

No matter the staff size or money would’ve changed the perception of the offense

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
As compared to what? We might as well face the facts, and the firing squad: Tech is never going to be more than somewhat competitive against Georgia, that is play hard, not embarrass ourselves, and still lose. So I will take the three wins, rue the two that got away, and hope never again to have them hang 52 points on us. When it comes to Georgia and Clemson, my expectations are very low. We have met the enemy and they are them. (I think Johnson was like 5-5 against Clemson, and we will never see that again, either.)

I don't know what is going on in the Coastal, except UNC had best be respected, and it seems that Beamer Ball is not enough to win at VT any more ... and Foster, it seems, should retire. But we might compete for it at some point, but first we have to find out if Collins can coach as well as he can tweet. It is very much an open question after this season.

But yeah. Give me three wins against Georgia in the coming decade and I would be satisfied he can coach.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Play much golf Milwaukee? Considering Tech's handicap vs ugag, it was anything but a joke that CPJ took a knife into a gun fight 3 times in Athens and won.
It was time for him to go, and most who respect what he did here, are happy about CGC's recruiting results---the coaching part, that CPJ excelled at, is a work in progress. We will know a lot more by the mid-2021 season.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
What resource was CPJ wasn’t given compared to now? The Jet was readily available to CPJ, Twitter, IG, FB we’re readily available & HS still had the same open door policies. Resources wasn’t going to change CPJ camp policy or his offer policy to OL

No matter the staff size or money would’ve changed the perception of the offense
Hey he promised though