CPJ interview - Nov 11

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
ND in 2020 & 2021, Ole Miss in 2022 & 2023, ND again in 2024, Colorado in 2025 & 26, ND in 2027.

With uga, we will have at least two P5 OoC opponents for the next 8 years.
That’s really a helluva OOC stretch. I do kind of wish it was possible to just have a rotating P5 opponent in the non ND years. Instead of playing Ole Miss and Colorado in a H/A series we could spilt it and play Ole Miss then Mizzou/Miss State/Kentucky/Arkansas/etc for ‘22 and ‘23. Then play Colorado and then Oklahoma State/Baylor/TCU/Texas Tech for ‘25 and ‘26. I completely agree that playing bigger football programs outside of the ACC would increase the strength of brand recognition, but you have to win those games for it to matter. If Tech could just start beating Clemson, Georgia, and Notre Dame semi-regularly it wouldn’t matter who they played OOC. Going 1-2 against those 3 in years Tech plays all 3 would be huge. And going 1-2 every 3 games against those teams individually would also be huge, especially if you can beat both of them in the same year.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Facts: There's nothing discriminatory about my post--nothing--got it? None, absolutely none, of the courses/programs added are for helping the program at all. Look up the meaning of excuses and challenges/handicaps --- the differences will enlighten you.

Facts - to you.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
That’s really a helluva OOC stretch. I do kind of wish it was possible to just have a rotating P5 opponent in the non ND years. Instead of playing Ole Miss and Colorado in a H/A series we could spilt it and play Ole Miss then Mizzou/Miss State/Kentucky/Arkansas/etc for ‘22 and ‘23. Then play Colorado and then Oklahoma State/Baylor/TCU/Texas Tech for ‘25 and ‘26. I completely agree that playing bigger football programs outside of the ACC would increase the strength of brand recognition, but you have to win those games for it to matter. If Tech could just start beating Clemson, Georgia, and Notre Dame semi-regularly it wouldn’t matter who they played OOC. Going 1-2 against those 3 in years Tech plays all 3 would be huge. And going 1-2 every 3 games against those teams individually would also be huge, especially if you can beat both of them in the same year.

Very true in regards to beating ugag & cu.

Something folks might want to consider. When it comes to game day coverage.

I think, in addition to sec games, which like it or not gets better coverage than current ACC games, ugag has added series with osu, oklahoma, texas. and (i think) clemson.

Beating n.c. schools, va. schools, pitt, bc will not be enough to overcome that branding.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
If Tech beat Clemson, UGA and ND regularly, it wouldn’t matter who they played IN conference.
That’s why I said semi-regularly ;). Tech has went 4-16 against UGAg over the last 20 games, and 8-12 against Clemson. Obviously both programs are in a much better state than what they were in 2000. So winning 3 out of every 10 against them would do wonders for Tech’s perception. A bit of perspective, South Carolina went 5-5 against Georgia this decade, although they did win 3 in a row from 2010-2012 against some of UGAgs more middling teams. That’s something Tech couldn’t do, even in 2009 with one of the best GT teams in the modern era.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
As compared to what? We might as well face the facts, and the firing squad: Tech is never going to be more than somewhat competitive against Georgia, that is play hard, not embarrass ourselves, and still lose. So I will take the three wins, rue the two that got away, and hope never again to have them hang 52 points on us. When it comes to Georgia and Clemson, my expectations are very low. We have met the enemy and they are them. (I think Johnson was like 5-5 against Clemson, and we will never see that again, either.)

I don't know what is going on in the Coastal, except UNC had best be respected, and it seems that Beamer Ball is not enough to win at VT any more ... and Foster, it seems, should retire. But we might compete for it at some point, but first we have to find out if Collins can coach as well as he can tweet. It is very much an open question after this season.

But yeah. Give me three wins against Georgia in the coming decade and I would be satisfied he can coach.

WTTE - "Seein az we ain't ever gonna beat Tech with any regularinousness, i donts see why we shouldn't play in atlanta every year. The jawja puppies is all different."

Frank Howard
Clemson HC
Atlanta TD Club 1961

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

I think, in addition to sec games, which like it or not gets better coverage than current ACC games, ugag has added series with osu, oklahoma, texas. and (i think) clemson.

Beating n.c. schools, va. schools, pitt, bc will not be enough to overcome that branding.
If you get good enough it just doesn’t matter. See FSU in the 90s and Clemson now.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

Why bother?

Look, the only thing that matters with "branding" is the number of wins. If you win a lot, it really doesn't matter who you beat, unless you are angling for the MNC. I want to win and I don't really care about who we beat to do it. Tech already has enough in the way of tough outs in our forthcoming schedules. What needs to be done going forward is to - I keep saying it - scheduling to win. We can't do anything about Ugag; we'll never back away from that one. That leaves getting Clemson off of our regular schedule and on to rotation and avoiding adding SEC opponents.

In short, look more like TCU or Baylor in terms of scheduling. I'm not saying, iow, that we try to get a schedule full of stiffs (though I wouldn't object to that much), but rather a schedule where we get as few potential top 15 teams as possible. Then we have a better chance to win. That's all that "branding" takes.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Why bother?

Look, the only thing that matters with "branding" is the number of wins. If you win a lot, it really doesn't matter who you beat, unless you are angling for the MNC. I want to win and I don't really care about who we beat to do it. Tech already has enough in the way of tough outs in our forthcoming schedules. What needs to be done going forward is to - I keep saying it - scheduling to win. We can't do anything about Ugag; we'll never back away from that one. That leaves getting Clemson off of our regular schedule and on to rotation and avoiding adding SEC opponents.

In short, look more like TCU or Baylor in terms of scheduling. I'm not saying, iow, that we try to get a schedule full of stiffs (though I wouldn't object to that much), but rather a schedule where we get as few potential top 15 teams as possible. Then we have a better chance to win. That's all that "branding" takes.

I get your point, but expect a negative impact on attendance. The top 3 factors driving attendance are location (urban schools do worse than rural), alumni density, and game quality.

Hypothetical: Would you be happy going 9-3 if attendance averaged 30K?

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I get your point, but expect a negative impact on attendance. The top 3 factors driving attendance are location (urban schools do worse than rural), alumni density, and game quality.

Personally, I’d rather go 9-3 with me the only person in the stands than going 2-10/3-9 with a full house.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

We have a say in only 3 (sometimes 2) games on our schedule, and not all of those are going to be home games. We can’t really impact the attendance significantly through scheduling.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
WTTE - "Seein az we ain't ever gonna beat Tech with any regularinousness, i donts see why we shouldn't play in atlanta every year. The jawja puppies is all different."

Frank Howard
Clemson HC
Atlanta TD Club 1961

Frank Howard was nicknamed the "Bashful Baron of Barlow Bend" Alabama. You should be commended for capturing the essence of the world according to Frank and his um, unique lexicon. My dad went to an Atlanta TD club with Frank and the coach at Wake Forest Peahead Walker headlining an all star, sort of, cast. My dad said the two of them had everyone in the room laughing so hard they could barely stay in their seats. Bobby Dodd was there but he just smiled knowing he could not compete as an entertainer with Frank.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Why bother?

If we win 100% of the time vs n.c. schools, va. schools, Pitt, Cuse, b.c. in football for the next 15 years straight it won’t make a difference in our program if we don’t beat ugag more with wins thrown in vs um, fsu, Cu and some decent OC comp.

It will take a lot to turn this ship into the wind and to stop the dumbing down that has gone on for decades.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Frank Howard was nicknamed the "Bashful Baron of Barlow Bend" Alabama. You should be commended for capturing the essence of the world according to Frank and his um, unique lexicon. My dad went to an Atlanta TD club with Frank and the coach at Wake Forest Peahead Walker headlining an all star, sort of, cast. My dad said the two of them had everyone in the room laughing so hard they could barely stay in their seats. Bobby Dodd was there but he just smiled knowing he could not compete as an entertainer with Frank.
His 12-year-old grandson was a Clemson/Swinney camper a couple of years ago. Came time to split the teams and play a game of flag. His team was doing badly. Went to the coach and suggested, "If you want me to start a fight, I will."

Coach passed.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
If we win 100% of the time vs n.c. schools, va. schools, Pitt, Cuse, b.c. in football for the next 15 years straight it won’t make a difference in our program if we don’t beat ugag more with wins thrown in vs um, fsu, Cu and some decent OC comp.

It will take a lot to turn this ship into the wind and to stop the dumbing down that has gone on for decades.
It would be more accurate to say for the entire history of Tech football. The program has always averaged winning about 60% of the time, when you take out seasons like the one we just had. If we get that up to 70% we will have made a sea change in the program. And that will mean the kinds of scheduling changes I have long advocated here. (NB: I didn't make this a conditional statement.) But keep thinking we'll get to be like Awbun if it floats your boat. It's a free country. Still, I'm with Hobbes:

upload_2020-1-10_13-14-30.png