CPJ interview - Nov 11

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Here is where I have to get into perception. I just saw a twitter exchange where a college football fan said "Tech hasn't been good since Calvin". Now, to you and I, that is an absurd statement, but that sentiment is soooo common you wouldn't believe it.
There is more to it than just our offense though. ESPN has been hyping SEC and ****ting on ACC since then as well (which was not as prevalent pre-CPJ). Our conference has played as much role in public perception as our actual team. There are so many variables at play that pinning it on just one is nuts. CGC will hopefully begin winning, which is the biggest thing we can control.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
There is more to it than just our offense though. ESPN has been hyping SEC and ****ting on ACC since then as well (which was not as prevalent pre-CPJ). Our conference has played as much role in public perception as our actual team. There are so many variables at play that pinning it on just one is nuts. CGC will hopefully begin winning, which is the biggest thing we can control.
I agree about the conference issue. Only recently has the Big 10 snuck back into the conversation about being a dominant conference. When Florida won the BCS in ‘06 and started the SEC win streak, every other conference was forgotten about. To go even farther, there aren’t many ACC teams that have reputations of being good. Even when the SEC is weak, beating teams like Tennessee, Florida, Ole Miss, Auburn, etc. brings recognition solely based on their brand name. Beating teams like Virginia, UNC, Duke, Syracuse, Wake will never bring recognition regardless of how good they are in a given year. Clemson, FSU, Miami, and sometimes VT are the only ACC teams with nationwide brand recognition. Georgia Tech would have to start a Clemson-like dynasty in the modern day ACC to ever be considered a good program again.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
SOME Tech fans are. Just go look on Facebook and Instagram on gameday when Georgia Tech posts videos and pictures about that its game day or at yellow jacket walk. Supposed Tech fans spew diarrhea all over it about how much we suck and everything else. The people who do that are miserable SOBs.
I think you guys need to settle down a bit with the name calling.

ScGold

Banned
And here we have the fallacy of False equivalence - I am still waiting for a well reasoned argument from someone...
How are numbers a fallacy. Their winning percentages are close enough. Isnt that what is all about? Geoff will be looked at under the same microscope at the end of the day. If hes all puff and substance we'll soon know. Cant have your cake and eat to. To honestly think from a talent stand point they were handed a equal set of cards is blind to truth. Keep telling me how u feel Adam.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Only thing I agree with you on is that your son played with a selfish QB. Too bad he didn't pitch it to him on the 2 point play vs Tennessee.

Hopefully you have encouraged your son to prepare for life after football.
You are right on the second point, wrong on the first. Marshall had no business playing QB and was there because he could run the ball, not run the option. And so Johnson played it out without being able to run his offense. But yes, he should have pitched it, and keeping it wasn't selfish. It was a bad decision.

ScGold

Banned
The Bobby Bowden analogy explains my point. You don't just look at the beginning and the end point and then completely ignore what happened between them when assessing whether a coach elevated a program.

You mean to tell me CGC doesn't use that recent history to tell his story of what this program can be? Of course, he does. It's such an easier sell to do so than if he had to go the route of - I'm building on a dream that you can't actually touch, feel, or see for yourself. But, trust me anyway.

For example, which is more powerful to kids as to what Collins envisions for this program - the Orange Bowl trophy from 2014 or the Sugar Bowl trophy from 1956? Because, as far as big name bowl wins, that's the gap in our trophy case. Speaking about the '09 ACC title or the '90 or '98 ("shared") one? Competing for 4 ACC titles in the past 10 years or competing for 2 ('06/'90) in the past 20 years before that? How about clips of BDS at night with it rocking and thumping Top 5 teams? CGC likes telling those stories, right? Well, since we beat 2 Top5 teams at home in the last 10 years and it was something like 40 years since that happened, there's another chapter to our recent past.

The story of our program has been made stronger over the past 10 years. The fact that's even a debate is sad.
Why is hard to believe that this staff walks into a recruits home or when they're on campus, and sell on a new culture a new way to do business, basically a more enjoyable experience playing football than what was here? If I had a dollar for every recruit that has uttered this I'd be wealthy. It's working.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
How are numbers a fallacy. Their winning percentages are close enough. Isnt that what is all about? Geoff will be looked at under the same microscope at the end of the day. If hes all puff and substance we'll soon know. Cant have your cake and eat to. To honestly think from a talent stand point they were handed a equal set of cards is blind to truth. Keep telling me how u feel Adam.
Why even argue with someone who would say that CGC has the same talent as CPJ started with? That's so far beyond reasonable that you just shake your head and say ok boomer. lol

ScGold

Banned
Why even argue with someone who would say that CGC has the same talent as CPJ started with? That's so far beyond reasonable that you just shake your head and say ok boomer. lol
My apologies on the first reply. Didnt read as was intended.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Jolly Good Fellow
Why is hard to believe that this staff walks into a recruits home or when they're on campus, and sell on a new culture a new way to do business, basically a more enjoyable experience playing football than what was here? If I had a dollar for every recruit that has uttered this I'd be wealthy. It's working.
And what exactly does CGC want to sell? Here’s the list as I recall.

An electric atmosphere at BDS competing and playing nationally relevant games?
Yep. That happened.

Be nationally ranked?
Yep.

Compete for ACC titles?
Done and got the trophy is a closet to prove it.

Put players in the NFL?
Yep. First rounders even. Along with SB rings.

Compete for national titles?
Nope.

Other than a national title, we got very recent results CGC can point to when making that sales pitch. It’s not some wild dream that’s not tangible at a school like Tech. You’re completely dismissing how much easier of a sale that is.

Last case in point, ever notice those 4 trophies Collins has everywhere on his Twitter? I wonder why he would do that? Perhaps, that helps tell his story?

Last edited:

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
So you have talked to all these recruits then?

ScGold

Banned
So you have talked to all these recruits then?
I read reports on the recruits we're on and have committed. The one common theme is the change in culture, atmosphere, how great the coaches communicate with the families. They recruit! Something ur not familiar with if you've been an 11yr tech fan. U will get used to winning again with a sustainable offense and defense schem . In the words of the great POTUS we'll get tired of winning......... yeah a little dramatic at the end, but yeah this is what real recruiting looks like.