CPJ interview - Nov 11

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
To be completely accurate, CGC doesn't have to rebuild from scratch either.., We were a 7-6 team last year... Choices have been made, that may or may not pan out in the future, which have almost certainly cost us games this year...
A 7-6 team that lost its QB(albeit not a great one), it’s best OL, it’s best 2 DL, and it’s best WR. Then came into the year and within 3 games lost this season’s best 2 OL, best 2 DL, and best 2 WR. You can’t expect any team to play to the same record they had last year under those circumstances, regardless of the transition. This is the 3rd youngest team in all of college football already, I would imagine the injuries knocked it down even farther. Nick Saban doesn’t win 7 games with this team, Paul Johnson doesn’t win 7 games with this team, Bill Belicheck doesn’t win 7. Might they have won 4-6? maybe. Should CGC have won 4 this year? Absolutely. Have there been ~2 more winnable games? Yeah probably. Like it or not, the cupboard was bare this year. There are only 9 seniors being honored Saturday. Georgia had 23 last weekend after losing at least 2 guys to the draft. Hopefully with the young talent CGC did inherit, and the talent he will hopefully bring in, the cupboard will be as full as ever in 3-4 years. Then if he’s not winning 7 games, there should be some changes made.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Again, it is a perfectly fine opinion. If you really want to base your argument that better recruiting will lead to better results (along with the new qualification that CGC needs to hire better coaches I notice), you will need to show how CGC has improved recruiting averages at his various stops and how those recruiting averages translated into more wins.
Until you have those numbers, all you have is opinion which is no more valid than the opinions from those people who are still skeptical...
He’s recruiting in the SEC speaks for itself, if you want to judge his temple recruiting go ahead but he’s recruiting the same states and high schools now as he did when he was a SEC coach. Doubt he had that reach in Philly.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
A 7-6 team that lost its QB(albeit not a great one), it’s best OL, it’s best 2 DL, and it’s best WR. Then came into the year and within 3 games lost this season’s best 2 OL, best 2 DL, and best 2 WR. You can’t expect any team to play to the same record they had last year under those circumstances, regardless of the transition. This is the 3rd youngest team in all of college football already, I would imagine the injuries knocked it down even farther. Nick Saban doesn’t win 7 games with this team, Paul Johnson doesn’t win 7 games with this team, Bill Belicheck doesn’t win 7. Might they have won 4-6? maybe. Should CGC have won 4 this year? Absolutely. Have there been ~2 more winnable games? Yeah probably. Like it or not, the cupboard was bare this year. There are only 9 seniors being honored Saturday. Georgia had 23 last weekend after losing at least 2 guys to the draft. Hopefully with the young talent CGC did inherit, and the talent he will hopefully bring in, the cupboard will be as full as ever in 3-4 years. Then if he’s not winning 7 games, there should be some changes made.
good post

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
He’s recruiting in the SEC speaks for itself, if you want to judge his temple recruiting go ahead but he’s recruiting the same states and high schools now as he did when he was a SEC coach. Doubt he had that reach in Philly.

So this particular logical fallacy is called appeal to authority... He recruited in the SEC, therefore he must be a good recruiter, therefore he must be able to recruit at Tech, therefore we must be better...

As I said before, provide the proof where CGC has substantively improved recruiting at his previous stops which has substantively improved W-L records which has substantively improved ranking, and pretty much everyone here will get on the bandwagon...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
How stupid does comparing something Paul actually did, lose fan support and fail to recruit in 2018, to something that happened to MSU when Collins wasn’t there? Must of really struck a nerve there for you to ignore facts and bring up hypotheticals.

Since the 2018 class was ranked 44th by 247, I am assuming you are talking about the 2019 recruiting class. How, exactly, did CPJ fail to recruit. He handed CGC the first 4* QB (graded as a QB) we have had in a long while. Also, if you are arguing that CGC leaving 3-4 weeks before his hand crafted elite SEC defense got spanked by a high school offense absolves him from any responsibility, then shouldn't the same argument apply to the last recruiting class that CPJ didn't finish because he turned it over to CGC?

Also, just to note, the 2018 class has so far been a pretty good class of recruits for us. Several of those guys have started or gotten significant playing time under both CPJ and CGC.

Milwaukee

Banned
As I said before, provide the proof where CGC has substantively improved recruiting at his previous stops which has substantively improved W-L records which has substantively improved ranking, and pretty much everyone here will get on the bandwagon...

I’m gonna regret taking the bait but I’ll join in for one take. The 07 class that led to our 2009 ACC Championship is the proof you keep whining for. /thread. Both of you are partly right and both of you are partly wrong, but one thing is for damn certain: you guys have ruined the entire thread.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
How stupid does comparing something Paul actually did, lose fan support and fail to recruit in 2018, to something that happened to MSU when Collins wasn’t there? Must of really struck a nerve there for you to ignore facts and bring up hypotheticals.
I agree, it's reallllllly stupid ... which is what I was hoping you would realize about yourself for arguing something like this:

The difference is the fan support and recruting were worth a damn under Bowden, Paul’s last home game was 38k. Last recruiting class was 44th. That’s what Collins got to work with.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Jolly Good Fellow
I think ya'll are debating different points. SteamWhistle said he left the program in worse shape in terms of talent. The 2014 Orange Bowl, while awesome and an impressive achievement, has no bearing on the talent left on the current roster.

As to whether CGC uses CPJ's achievements in his recruiting pitch, I have no idea. But I think there is less mileage in those great seasons than you might think. At least to those outside our fanbase. 2009 and 2014 were awesome, but is our national profile higher today than it was in 2007? I cant say that it is. Maybe it should be, but I dont think it is.

Bowden is a bad analogy. He had sustained success, which is what moves the needle, perception wise.

You're only highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of the two coaches. It's undeniable that Collins is a better recruiter than CPJ. That's not what we're talking about. The accusation is CPJ left the program in a worse position than when he arrived. For that to be true, CGC wouldn't be able to point to any those very real, special, and uncommon accomplishments cited during his recruiting pitches, which I highly doubt he intentionally ignores or downplays like seemingly some of our own fans.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I agree, it's reallllllly stupid ... which is what I was hoping you would realize about yourself for arguing something like this:
Your way off bud, not sure what you’re getting at. Saying Paul’s last recruiting class was bad and the fan support was low has nothing to do with MSU, but I’m glad you brought up something that happened 5 years ago to make an argument for the program Paul left Collins this year.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Your way off bud, not sure what you’re getting at. Saying Paul’s last recruiting class was bad and the fan support was low has nothing to do with MSU, but I’m glad you brought up something that happened 5 years ago to make an argument for the program Paul left Collins this year.
That poor defensive coordinator at MSU ... what could he have done against us with the mess Geoff left him. See how that works?

Was Paul recruiting for Geoff's offense or his own?

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Since the 2018 class was ranked 44th by 247, I am assuming you are talking about the 2019 recruiting class. How, exactly, did CPJ fail to recruit. He handed CGC the first 4* QB (graded as a QB) we have had in a long while. Also, if you are arguing that CGC leaving 3-4 weeks before his hand crafted elite SEC defense got spanked by a high school offense absolves him from any responsibility, then shouldn't the same argument apply to the last recruiting class that CPJ didn't finish because he turned it over to CGC?

Also, just to note, the 2018 class has so far been a pretty good class of recruits for us. Several of those guys have started or gotten significant playing time under both CPJ and CGC.
Paul’s best class was 2017. But the failures in 2018 were getting 2 OL and 2 DL leaving us with what we have now. The 2018 skill guys Juanyeh, James, Zamari etc. and you could put Charlie and Quez in there too are coming together nicely. The failure to recruit wasn’t aimed towards any class it was more so just the last 4-5 classes that included a 60th ranked class in there.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
That poor defensive coordinator at MSU ... what could he have done against us with the mess Geoff left him. See how that works?

Was Paul recruiting for Geoff's offense or his own?
So now you not only continue to bring up something that happened 5 years ago but now you have an excuse? Paul was supposed to recruit defense too, which he gave up on when he let Roof go for the worst DC he ever had. Since you use offense as an excuse just look at Tech’s front 7 on defense and tell me if Paul and Co. could recruit.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
So now you not only continue to bring up something that happened 5 years ago but now you have an excuse? Paul was supposed to recruit defense too, which he gave up on when he let Roof go for the worst DC he ever had. Since you use offense as an excuse just look at Tech’s front 7 on defense and tell me if Paul and Co. could recruit.
It's over your head.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Paul’s best class was 2017. But the failures in 2018 were getting 2 OL and 2 DL leaving us with what we have now. The 2018 skill guys Juanyeh, James, Zamari etc. and you could put Charlie and Quez in there too are coming together nicely. The failure to recruit wasn’t aimed towards any class it was more so just the last 4-5 classes that included a 60th ranked class in there.

There were 5 DL in the 2018 class: Dingle, Chimedza, Griffin, Domineck, Johns

There were 4 OL in the 2018 class: Austin Smith, Maye, Jump, McKeehan

To my knowledge, only McKeehan has left the team.