CPJ interview - Nov 11

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Hes already debunked one myth that recruiting cant be done at a higher level. I have no doubt the defense will be a top 30 defense next year. Every recruit that has been interviewed after visiting with this staff came away saying great things. Almost giving a backhanded slap at the old staff. That's not me saying this. These are the PLAYERS saying this. Whether I like or not doesn't matter. I'm not playing for him. From the short time hes been here the ones that count are buying in to what hes selling. If you can't support that, then ur really a Johnson man and not a Tech man.
There's just more recruits in this class buddy. And who has said tech can't recruit at a higher level? It takes more funding and initiative from the school as a whole, not just a good recruiter. That's why every year, it's the same schools in the top 20 recruiting. All the rest is a toss up. We are Tech fans, and you're a Johnson hater.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
There's just more recruits in this class buddy. And who has said tech can't recruit at a higher level? It takes more funding and initiative from the school as a whole, not just a good recruiter. That's why every year, it's the same schools in the top 20 recruiting. All the rest is a toss up. We are Tech fans, and you're a Johnson hater.

Many on here have said we can’t recruit at high level

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
i know absolutely what he was referencing

I mean i'm not entirely sure we wouldn't have had a pretty ungodly rushing attack this year running the veer with TO at QB. But hell if they never stop zone left and zone right TO might have 1700 yards. It really be more like singlewing football lol.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
With KirVonte you probable beat everyone except Clemson, Va Tech and Georgia, and those games would have been / would be close based on his pride alone”

Wow. JPM is an all-ACC performer and here we are. You’d have to be implying a beyond Heisman level of performance to predict 9 wins this year. Wow.

Jordan Mason has been a beast for us this year, no doubt, however I think it was visibly obvious that he wasn’t as good as KirVonte was when they were both here (yes, even accounting for the year difference between the two). 9 wins is a ghost pepper level spicy take, but I don’t doubt we’d be a better team if KirVonte was still here...especially because we’d then have Mason coming off the bench with fresh legs to spell him.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Yes an unfortunate self handicap. I think Tech can and will recruit better. I think the added funding recently certainly helps, and obviously it seems that it's a strength for CGC. Let's see what he can do with it.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Yes an unfortunate self handicap. I think Tech can and will recruit better. I think the added funding recently certainly helps, and obviously it seems that it's a strength for CGC. Let's see what he can do with it.
He's already recruiting better. Look at the offers and rankings, not just stars.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Just asking- what’s the cut off for recruiting at a high level Top 25, 20, 15, 10?

25th by the way is the 60th percentile, 20th is the 69th, 15th is the 77th, 10th is the 85th of P5 teams.

I’d say somewhere around 15th or we out-recruit 3 of 4 P5 teams.

DaU is 17th & 8 of 20 recruits are 4*. UnC is 16th & they have 1 5* and 6 4*’s out of 25, UW is 15th and they have 1 5* and 8 4* out of 19. You start getting near half 4* at the 75th percentile & I think that would shut everyone up regarding recruiting prowess.

ScGold

Banned
You must be new to tech football family. Paul was that much better of a offensive coach he didnt need elite recruits. He didnt need to endure himself to the best high school programs in GA. Your a Johnson fan and not really a loyal tech man. Ever ask urself the question why donations were at there lowest the last 4 years? Ever ask urself why the majority of the big $ givers were ready to change philosophies? Bobinski may have been a **** and for his own reasons turned on Johnson. Not the first time old coach new ad clash. Paul chose to fight. Wrong choice when donors are involved. U reap the ramifications.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
With all the back tracking and fact checking it’s seems like you are the one “moving goal post” I don’t see how talking about ATL OL is moving them and I follow recruiting harder then anyone on this site and have 1,000 followers that’s trust my opinion on it and you think I really thought we only took 2 DL and OL? Come on.

Dude, you said he only recruited 2 OL/DL, then changed your argument to debate whether the guys recruited were game ready against the defending champs in game one following a complete coaching change. It doesn’t matter how many followers you have when you’re arguing in bad faith.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Here is where I have to get into perception. I just saw a twitter exchange where a college football fan said "Tech hasn't been good since Calvin". Now, to you and I, that is an absurd statement, but that sentiment is soooo common you wouldn't believe it.

Of course, I've also seen non GT college football fans that couldn't believe Calvin Johnson played in the option...

You are right, the perception that we were not good, gimmicky, etc persisted. The reality is that it predated Paul Johnson.