CPJ 9AM Retirement Press Conference

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
They need to have a vision and specific plan for recruiting as well. Recruiting is where the rubber meets the road at any school and it is probably the hardest thing about the job at GT.

You are right, as usual, DCS. You must have a vision for the coach and a vision for the recruiting strategy, and then you have to implement at a high success rate.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Well, you asked for an opinion, so I will give you mine. It may not be correct, but it is what I suppose to be the case.

I think you are right that the UGAG game opened his eyes to where we are compared to where they are right now (and Clem's Son to some degree as well) - it may have confirmed what he was already thinking earlier this year.
Over the past 4 years, where he has experienced (and we experienced) 2 very poor non-bowl years, the frequency of what I consider unfair criticisms of PJ were being heard by him, and the naysayers were increasing, but they were still the minority by a long shot. (by the way, it is o.k. if you or anyone else believes some of these criticisms were fair - that is just our opinions anyway)
So, I believe some of this was building
I think he saw that it was very unlikely that he could recruit well enough to the system he wants to play (too old and stubborn to change probably) and compete at the highest level anymore

All of this kind of added up to him saying "do I really want the headache anymore?" when he believed he was not going to get where he wanted to get the program, and he came to the answer, "no it is not". I do believe some of the unfair criticism got under his crawl, but the main reason for him leaving, in my opinion, is because I believe he thinks he got this program as far as he could take it, with the current environment and the current restrictions/limitations at the Institute.

Again, just my amateur opinion.
Maybe “certainty” was too strong of a word. History tells us that most coaching changes usually come with a period of down times. Not only are we losing a head coach but we are also losing an offensive coordinator. In addition, if we don’t hire another coach that runs this same offense, we will be trying to run a new offense with our TO recruits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you watch the presser?

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
The problem with that is who wants to hire a 60 year old coach? He may want to coach, but even the best coaches will struggle at that age. How long did it take Les Miles to get hired? 3 years?

Johnson doesn't need the money, so who knows what he might do football-wise if got the itch to coach again? He could resurface as HC or OC of a struggling FBS/FCS/Div. 2 program thrilled to have someone of his pedigree, just for the challenge and fun of seeing if he could turn a doormat of a program into a competitive team with, yes, an infuriating offense. (y)

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Did you watch the presser?

No, I did not, DCS. I am sure that PJ went out of his way to say the "naysayers" did not impact his decision, and probably also said it was not because he did not think we could be successful in the current environment. What did he say? But, again, I do think what he would have done at the presser was take the high road completely and dwell on the positives.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
No, I did not, DCS. I am sure that PJ went out of his way to say the "naysayers" did not impact his decision, and probably also said it was not because he did not think we could be successful in the current environment. What did he say? But, again, I do think what he would have done at the presser was take the high road completely and dwell on the positives.
I quoted you on that post by mistake. However, you should watch it. He did take the highroad. The thing that struck me the most about it is that out of all of his accomplishments he said his relationships with his players were the most important.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Well, you asked for an opinion, so I will give you mine. It may not be correct, but it is what I suppose to be the case.

I think you are right that the UGAG game opened his eyes to where we are compared to where they are right now (and Clem's Son to some degree as well) - it may have confirmed what he was already thinking earlier this year.
Over the past 4 years, where he has experienced (and we experienced) 2 very poor non-bowl years, the frequency of what I consider unfair criticisms of PJ were being heard by him, and the naysayers were increasing, but they were still the minority by a long shot. (by the way, it is o.k. if you or anyone else believes some of these criticisms were fair - that is just our opinions anyway)
So, I believe some of this was building
I think he saw that it was very unlikely that he could recruit well enough to the system he wants to play (too old and stubborn to change probably) and compete at the highest level anymore

All of this kind of added up to him saying "do I really want the headache anymore?" when he believed he was not going to get where he wanted to get the program, and he came to the answer, "no it is not". I do believe some of the unfair criticism got under his crawl, but the main reason for him leaving, in my opinion, is because I believe he thinks he got this program as far as he could take it, with the current environment and the current restrictions/limitations at the Institute.

Again, just my amateur opinion.

Pretty much nails it. The UGA game was not the catalyst but a confirmation that Coach Johnson had taken the program as far as he could with the CURRENT LIMITATIONS imposed by the administration. This coupled with the Clemson game reinforced his thinking that recruiting was a bridge too far given his age. Sometimes at that age you have to decide to put the old dog on the porch and let the young pups run the yard. IIWII

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
They need to have a vision and specific plan for recruiting as well. Recruiting is where the rubber meets the road at any school and it is probably the hardest thing about the job at GT.

Recruiting is absolutely the mother's milk of any college football program. Coach O'Leary had a classic line about recruiting: "Recruiting is like shaving, if you don't do it every day you will look like a bum"

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I took some notes for those that didn't watch/can't watch right now. I'll do it in two posts, ADTS first (emphasis mine and I know some of these have been posted before):
· Emotional response from players, clear connection with CPJ

· Early signing date is an issue (in terms of new coach) but not the only issue

· (Has a plane to catch – someone track it)

· Not a plug-and-play job. Fit is important

· New coach needs to understand challenges/differences of Tech. How are they going to mold what they do to fit Tech

· Doesn’t care about offensive scheme, leaves it to coaches, only cares about winning. Just looking for best coach for Tech

· You need to be an innovator at Tech, in our DNA. More interested in the thinking behind whatever it is they want to do and how that gives us an advantage. Will not focus on any one system

· Playing for conference championships = being considered for one of the four slots

· Believes this is a great job so not surprised at anyone in particular being interested. Has not called anyone back who has called him

· Had a list in his brain that changes through time. Has watched a lot of football this year (as part of CFP committee), so always preparing in terms of being ready

· Made sure that CPJ made the decision for him

· Makes us more attractive as a bowl choice (CPJ’s last game)

· No search firm presently [I really hope he doesn’t waste money on this]

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ notes:

· Didn’t leave because of some ‘D level’ personalities on the radio

· Almost retired right before Todd came in

· Believes Todd is on the right path to build program

· On recruiting – wouldn’t sit in a house and lie to a recruit. Timing is so new coach and recruits have time to think about the change. Didn’t want to wait until after the bowl game because he didn’t want to lie to recruits

· GT job is hard but not impossible

· Moving forward, he hopes Tech wins every game (saw elsewhere that he said he’s a Tech fan for life)

· New coach is lucky to come in with Todd here

· Meeting with players was hard (has real connection to this team). Two hardest things in his life – leaving Navy and yesterday

· People act like the transition is a big deal. Most of the players on the team played a different system in high school, freshman class has a bunch of really good players

· Proud of Monken, Bohannon, Ken. Guys on staff now will be successful

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
CPJ notes:

· Didn’t leave because of some ‘D level’ personalities on the radio

· Almost retired right before Todd came in

· Believes Todd is on the right path to build program

· On recruiting – wouldn’t sit in a house and lie to a recruit. Timing is so new coach and recruits have time to think about the change. Didn’t want to wait until after the bowl game because he didn’t want to lie to recruits

· GT job is hard but not impossible

· Moving forward, he hopes Tech wins every game (saw elsewhere that he said he’s a Tech fan for life)

· New coach is lucky to come in with Todd here

· Meeting with players was hard (has real connection to this team). Two hardest things in his life – leaving Navy and yesterday

· People act like the transition is a big deal. Most of the players on the team played a different system in high school, freshman class has a bunch of really good players

· Proud of Monken, Bohannon, Ken. Guys on staff now will be successful
Too bad GT can't hire Pat Fitzgerald away from Northwestern;)