CPJ 9AM Retirement Press Conference

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I watched the last 5-10 minutes. Unfortunately I couldn’t find the link to catch the beginning. What did I miss?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In one of his responses he said our players are football players. Most of them did not play option ball in high school. The new coach will not have to retrain all the players in how to play football.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
In one of his responses he said our players are football players. Most of them did not play option ball in high school. The new coach will not have to retrain all the players in how to play football.

I'd actually argue that training them to run this offense was probably harder than any other style. Offensive lineman don't learn these blockign schemes in lower levels anymore. Most high schools actually run a version of clemson's offense.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
That’s quite disappointing about Hall. “You can stay as long as you like no matter how far you run the program into the ground!” Disappointing approach from Stansbury with baseball.
Slight threadjack but Hall will be gone once his son(s) are gone, I believe, if he doesn't pull a rabbit out of his hat this year or next.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I quoted you on that post by mistake. However, you should watch it. He did take the highroad. The thing that struck me the most about it is that out of all of his accomplishments he said his relationships with his players were the most important.

I get the feeling that CPJ, just like a father, cared about his players deeply. It seems to show in most of the tributes on twitter.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I really dont think it had anything to do with the Georgie or Clemson games. CPJ knows better than anyone that both of those teams are way better and that both systems are well funded and supported. I do think he was luke warm on the season going in and losing those to games USF and Pitt seem to hit him harder than Georgie or Clemson. Losing to teams that he felt Tech is on or above par with, I think, kick started, freshly, him wondering if he should go.

I know how the retirement bug works. I am no CPJ but after 32 years in my job the urge to try to fix things that frustrate me and to beat my head into that proverbial wall has dropped dramatically . The concerns I have for my job are still very strong but trying to convince others, who make the decisions, seems to be more and more pointless. It is very tiring trying to work on and influence true needs while others seem concerned with other things that seem secondary. I don't think Football at Tech is even a secondary thing, trying to get them to give it priority has to be frustrating, I understand why he is tired.

Last edited:

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I really dont think it had anything to do with the Georgie or Clemson games. CPJ knows better than anyone that both of those teams are way better and that both systems are well funded and supported. I do think he was luke warm on the season going in and losing those to games USF and Pitt seem to hit him harder than Georgie or Clemson. Losing to teams that he felt Tech is on or above par with, I think, kick started, freshly, him wondering if he should go.

I know how the retirement bug works. I am no CPJ but after 32 years in my job the urge to try to fix things that frustrate me and to beat my head into that proverbial wall has dropped dramatically . The concerns I have for my job are still very strong but trying to convince others, who make the decisions, seems to be more and more pointless. It is very tiring trying to work on and influence true needs while others seem concerned with other secondary things. Football at Tech is a secondary thing, I understand why he is tired.

Wow. At 33 years into my career, I could give the exact same testimony. Earlier this year, partly for the reasons you state and partly because of losing Kaleb (my son last year), I requested to move to an individual contributor role after being a manager. I knew the timing was right, as our plant manager had just moved to another position as well, but the new plant manager and I had a good relationship (along with our HR and other managers), and we had very excellent results for the past few years. We were able to rearrange things very well for me and for my company, and as you state, I just don't have the desire to beat my head on the wall anymore being this close to probably retiring from my first career. Working on solving long term real issues has always been my passion as well, not just working on perception and secondary political nonsense. I chose not to be a manager for many years, although having the opportunity, for this exact reason.

I know of lot of our exuberant fans believe football could be made numero uno at GT, but that ain't happening in the current climate. The new coach better fully understand the obstacles he will face.

Animal02

Banned
th
Not the right shade of gold, per supersize.

Last edited:

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow. At 33 years into my career, I could give the exact same testimony. Earlier this year, partly for the reasons you state and partly because of losing Kaleb (my son last year), I requested to move to an individual contributor role after being a manager. I knew the timing was right, as our plant manager had just moved to another position as well, but the new plant manager and I had a good relationship (along with our HR and other managers), and we had very excellent results for the past few years. We were able to rearrange things very well for me and for my company, and as you state, I just don't have the desire to beat my head on the wall anymore being this close to probably retiring from my first career. Working on solving long term real issues has always been my passion as well, not just working on perception and secondary political nonsense. I chose not to be a manager for many years, although having the opportunity, for this exact reason.

I know of lot of our exuberant fans believe football could be made numero uno at GT, but that ain't happening in the current climate. The new coach better fully understand the obstacles he will face.

Very sorry to hear about your son. I couldn’t imagine.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

I’m sure that’s true but I didn’t think they would have trouble learning to play in a new offense. My thought was that I’m not sure that these same players would’ve been recruited to the “new” system to start with, assuming we change offenses. For example, would TO be as useful in an air raid offense? Would you recruit larger offensive linemen in a pass heavy offense, not worrying as much about the agility required in the current system? If the new offense has a tight end do we have someone who can easily make that change? Can they catch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Very sorry to hear about your son. I couldn’t imagine.

Thanks, Tax. I would not want any person to be able to imagine, and truthfully, it is unimaginable. I was very blessed, though, and still am, with folks at my job, my church, and my family that helped - but the hole remains, as it will until I see him again.