CPJ 9AM Retirement Press Conference

Techster

Helluva Engineer
· Had a list in his brain that changes through time. Has watched a lot of football this year (as part of CFP committee), so always preparing in terms of being ready

How fortuitous was it that TStan got on the CFP committee? Unwittingly, it actually gave him a headstart on the coaching search without really knowing that. He's probably seen a LOT of coaches in action the past season, and probably has gotten some insight on how they operate.

I expect TStan to make a VERY informed decision, and not a desperate one. I also think GT will pay more for the next guy, and because of CPJ (and I mentioned this earlier in the year) the next guy will be the beneficiary of a LOT of things CPJ never had. GT will make a commitment to the next guy that's bigger than what CPJ had, and I expect a lot of big $$$ donors to step up when the time comes.

No doubt in my mind that GT will get a good coach in the end.

LibertyTurns

Banned
How fortuitous was it that TStan got on the CFP committee? Unwittingly, it actually gave him a headstart on the coaching search without really knowing that. He's probably seen a LOT of coaches in action the past season, and probably has gotten some insight on how they operate.

I expect TStan to make a VERY informed decision, and not a desperate one. I also think GT will pay more for the next guy, and because of CPJ (and I mentioned this earlier in the year) the next guy will be the beneficiary of a LOT of things CPJ never had. GT will make a commitment to the next guy that's bigger than what CPJ had, and I expect a lot of big $$$ donors to step up when the time comes.

No doubt in my mind that GT will get a good coach in the end.
Yes Techster, GT will most assuredly get a good coach in the end. BOHICA! :joyful:

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I really dont think it had anything to do with the Georgie or Clemson games. CPJ knows better than anyone that both of those teams are way better and that both systems are well funded and supported. I do think he was luke warm on the season going in and losing those to games USF and Pitt seem to hit him harder than Georgie or Clemson. Losing to teams that he felt Tech is on or above par with, I think, kick started, freshly, him wondering if he should go.

I know how the retirement bug works. I am no CPJ but after 32 years in my job the urge to try to fix things that frustrate me and to beat my head into that proverbial wall has dropped dramatically . The concerns I have for my job are still very strong but trying to convince others, who make the decisions, seems to be more and more pointless. It is very tiring trying to work on and influence true needs while others seem concerned with other things that seem secondary. I don't think Football at Tech is even a secondary thing, trying to get them to give it priority has to be frustrating, I understand why he is tired.

It is like this regarding the retirement bug. You wake up one morning and decide that if you have the money its time to go. The aggravation and frustrations of the job gradually wear on you particularly after age 55 or so and it becomes more a grind than seems worth the bother. With Coach Johnson, I agree it was not a matter of Clemson and UGA it was more along the lines of he just did not want to continue the ongoing struggle to get changes done that have to be implemented to stay relevant in college football. He is a smart man and knows that the college football landscape has changed drastically and not for the better.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The thing that strikes me as odd about this is he just hired a new DC. That tells me this wasn’t on his radar a year ago. What changed this year?

This is not necessarily true. CTR caught CPJ unawares with his leaving last year. In spite of the narrative, he was not forced out, but rather left of his own volition. That meant CPJ had to hire a DC whether he wanted to or not. I wondered originally why CPJ was so frustrated by CTR leaving, and this may very well be why.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
This is not necessarily true. CTR caught CPJ unawares with his leaving last year. In spite of the narrative, he was not forced out, but rather left of his own volition. That meant CPJ had to hire a DC whether he wanted to or not. I wondered originally why CPJ was so frustrated by CTR leaving, and this may very well be why.
So Paul wanted Ted Roof to succeed him as Head Coach at GT?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
So Paul wanted Ted Roof to succeed him as Head Coach at GT?

No. That's not the point I was making. I think CPJ didn't want to put another DC in this position. CTR would have been around long enough to be judged by incoming staff on his own merits. It's unfair to CNW what's happening now, but such is life. CPJ exudes integrity, hence why he chose to announce before signing day, which is disadvantageous for GT, but advantageous for the recruits. If he thought this might be the last year, he may have been willing to give CTR one last try, and just enough rope. In retrospect, it at least fits the reports that came out about CPJ being irritated by CTRs leaving.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Johnson doesn't need the money, so who knows what he might do football-wise if got the itch to coach again? He could resurface as HC or OC of a struggling FBS/FCS/Div. 2 program thrilled to have someone of his pedigree, just for the challenge and fun of seeing if he could turn a doormat of a program into a competitive team with, yes, an infuriating offense. (y)
It Wake takes a downturn and CPJ wants to coach again, it would not surprise me to see CPJ at Wake Forest or a comparable program in a couple of years.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I know how the retirement bug works. I am no CPJ but after 32 years in my job the urge to try to fix things that frustrate me and to beat my head into that proverbial wall has dropped dramatically . The concerns I have for my job are still very strong but trying to convince others, who make the decisions, seems to be more and more pointless. It is very tiring trying to work on and influence true needs while others seem concerned with other things that seem secondary. I don't think Football at Tech is even a secondary thing, trying to get them to give it priority has to be frustrating, I understand why he is tired.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading through this thread. Your post ignited some good comments from others. I left the corporate scene a decade ago at 50 (approx. 27 years in it). I found that my tolerance for BS was exhausted. I switched careers. I like to work so I found a job where no one bothers me. I make a fraction of what I used to make but am 10 x happier doing what I do. My theory is that we are born into this world with only so much patience and when it is used up, its gone. I think it's worse for those of us with logical/engineering mindsets because we can identify stupid faster than most. I am unsure if being logical in this world is a blessing or a curse.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading through this thread. Your post ignited some good comments from others. I left the corporate scene a decade ago at 50 (approx. 27 years in it). I found that my tolerance for BS was exhausted. I switched careers. I like to work so I found a job where no one bothers me. I make a fraction of what I used to make but am 10 x happier doing what I do. My theory is that we are born into this world with only so much patience and when it is used up, its gone. I think it's worse for those of us with logical/engineering mindsets because we can identify stupid faster than most. I am unsure if being logical in this world is a blessing or a curse.

There are times when it’s surely a curse as it is becoming exceedingly rare generally. It seems that today logic isn’t even a qualifier for promotion as internal politics and maneuvering is fast replacing competent management

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Thanks for posting this. I was unaware and assumed that it was part of a TStan and CPJ decision.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It Wake takes a downturn and CPJ wants to coach again, it would not surprise me to see CPJ at Wake Forest or a comparable program in a couple of years.
Or Paul Johnson succeeds Coach Cut at Duke
I seriously doubt it. I could see him going to another league but not another stop in the ACC. Would LOVE to see him at a factory and see what he could do with unlimited resources. Like USCe or something (where he could terrorize georgie some).

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I seriously doubt it. I could see him going to another league but not another stop in the ACC. Would LOVE to see him at a factory and see what he could do with unlimited resources. Like USCe or something (where he could terrorize georgie some).

He’ll go to a Group of 5 team and dominate.