COVID at CWS

Status
Not open for further replies.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
So did the 13 players who were eligible for yesterday’s game get covid after the game?

also, did they not have even 9 players get a vaccine???

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Word is 4 vaccinated players tested positive so everyone can get off their high horse about unvaccinated players. This is just flat stupid at this point. The NCAA wants Rocker and Leiter in the finals.
This is my tinfoil hat conspiracy lol. ESPN and the NCAA sent an infected person into NC State's hotel or something to make sure Vandy and Leiter could be in the finals. It also fits for the SEC narrative. We'll find out for sure if Texas comes down with the virus.

Call me crazy, but I think I'm onto something with this 😜

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Word is 4 vaccinated players tested positive so everyone can get off their high horse about unvaccinated players. This is just flat stupid at this point. The NCAA wants Rocker and Leiter in the finals.
These are good questions based on the testing protocols. Seems strange to me that there is exception to 'not testing' vaccinated [asymptomatic] players.

The next logical question is this: How does this impact Vanderbilt? If four fully vaccinated individuals who tested positive participated in Friday’s game against Vandy, do the Commodores need to have their entire roster tested as well? Regardless of vaccination status? What about Texas and Mississippi State? Does the NCAA stick with the policy of exempting fully vaccinated players from routine testing, even after four positive tests from the vaccinated NC State contingent?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
NC State is out of the CWS due to COVID protocols. Vandy to the championship round against either Texas or Miss State.

Given medical confidentiality, we'll never know. But people will make stuff up to support what they want.

Sad and selfish imho IF most of the team wasn't vaccinated. Infection is possible but unlikely after vaccination. They had the freedom to choose and are paying the price.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Getting the vaccination for COVID-19 does not keep you from getting infected. It does keep you from getting a severe case or, supposedly, transmitting the virus. This is a real problem for sports. If an asymptomatic vaccinated player tests positive and shuts down a team because of contact tracing, the sport is telling the CDC that they know more about the science than the CDC. I do not understand this decision based on these Tweets. My little hometown is depending on the vaccines to allow us to have a normal life again. This is just crazy. Restaurants are open. Gyms are open. Theaters are about to open.

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
There are no individual rights in team sports.
I don’t fully understand this comment. You don’t give up individual rights when you join a team or any other organization. And a state-sponsored university should not be able to force you to do anything in contravention of those rights. I’m with Avent on this one. I’ll stop there to avoid veering into politics.

Regardless, I’m not arguing that there should be an exception to the rules here - they were established and clearly communicated and should be enforced. But that doesn’t mean the rules aren’t stupid and shouldn’t be changed. And strict contact tracing for an outdoor sport played by healthy young people is a stupid rule at this point. Especially when there are no restrictions at all on the crowds in Omaha.

Deleted member 2897

If I had to wager money, I would guess that out of all the players who tested positive, not a single one is actually sick. For the last 3 1/2 months according to the CDC, our total expected deaths of all causes are running below normal. Meaning we are not currently in a pandemic and have not been in this country for a long time. An outdoor sport. Where there is no close contact. This is ****ing stupid and I feel terrible for NC State. The only group in the country capable of beating them over the last few months is the NCAA.

Deleted member 2897

I’ve read 2 players (including him) weren’t feeling well.

Status
Not open for further replies.