COVID at CWS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2897

Trust level is very low, whether with scientists, the medical community, the media, government, social institutions or each other. That’s why I think Covid discussions are difficult except with people you know well and with whom you have built in trust.

Well they all earned that lack of distrust for good reason. I trust people I don't even know in real life like you and others on here more than them. Interesting isn't it.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
F47F19E7-6D71-4FF7-8A00-EA0B8859CD30.jpeg

Big if true.

Deleted member 2897

Absolutely true. Been that way for many months.

As of 4 days ago, the CDC reports 750 deaths from covid of those vaccinated:

We finished 2020 with 375,000 covid deaths:

My wife and daughter are nurses/nursing students, so they were first in line and got their second shots the first week in January.

We are currently at 604,000 covid deaths. That's 229,000 deaths this year. 750 were vaccinated. That means 0.997 of the deaths this year were in unvaccinated people. (And most of the covid deaths in vaccinated people were elderly/brittle immune compromised people.)

LibertyTurns

Banned
Taking care of your body is precisely why health professionals recommend getting the vaccine.
What if one or more of the 4 vaccinated players that tested positive caused 2 of the unvaccinated players to get Covid? Perhaps none of the team was at risk until some started to get shots, then passed the virus on to their buddies. Maybe the do-gooders didn’t do good? We got a similar situation brewing at my workplace. Jury’s not out yet but the health dept, local hospital folks are thinking the older vaccinated couple who are now positive gave the slightly younger unvaccinated couple the Rona while over for dinner They’re looking at cellphone location data to verify both couples only went where they said they went. We’ll see.

There’s also talk now maybe you can get it twice. Frankly, I think these are people that were told they had it but probably didn‘t, but that’s just my theory. They’re prancing around thinking they got immunity but they really just had the flu last year & they’re wide open for the Rona now.

Crazy junk we’re dealing with & all the “expert” proclamations are just educated guesses by a bunch of theoretically smart people that really have no hard evidence.

Just a year ago “conspiracy theories” were widely debunked only now to be generally accepted as likely, perhaps even probable. How could so many brilliant minds be so wrong and the dumb nuts be so right?

The debate rages on.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What if one or more of the 4 vaccinated players that tested positive caused 2 of the unvaccinated players to get Covid? Perhaps none of the team was at risk until some started to get shots, then passed the virus on to their buddies. Maybe the do-gooders didn’t do good? We got a similar situation brewing at my workplace. Jury’s not out yet but the health dept, local hospital folks are thinking the older vaccinated couple who are now positive gave the slightly younger unvaccinated couple the Rona while over for dinner They’re looking at cellphone location data to verify both couples only went where they said they went. We’ll see.

There’s also talk now maybe you can get it twice. Frankly, I think these are people that were told they had it but probably didn‘t, but that’s just my theory. They’re prancing around thinking they got immunity but they really just had the flu last year & they’re wide open for the Rona now.

Crazy junk we’re dealing with & all the “expert” proclamations are just educated guesses by a bunch of theoretically smart people that really have no hard evidence.

Just a year ago “conspiracy theories” were widely debunked only now to be generally accepted as likely, perhaps even probable. How could so many brilliant minds be so wrong and the dumb nuts be so right?

The debate rages on.
I don’t follow you at all. If you are vaccinated you are LESS likely to pass the virus to someone. That’s a scientific fact.

None of the conspiracy theories I mentioned turned out to be true. But, yeah, common sense and reason have been obliterated in our country.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
But the politicizing that was done early on, I fear, has effected our collective psyches. Trust level is very low, whether with scientists, the medical community, the media, government, social institutions or each other. That’s why I think Covid discussions are difficult except with people you know well and with whom you have built in trust.
Reuters in a recent poll confirms what you are saying, in spades:

For those who don't want to click on the link:
The United States ranks last in media trust — at 29% — among 92,000 news consumers surveyed in 46 countries, a report released Wednesday found. That’s worse than Poland, worse than the Philippines, worse than Peru. (Finland leads at 65%.)

One explanation, though not necessarily the only one, is the extreme political polarization in the U.S. This study, like many others, found extremely high levels of distrust — 75% of those who identify as being on the right thought coverage of their views is unfair.

@Northeast Stinger is right again! I must admit that I count myself amongst the 71% who do not trust our primary national news media (right or left oriented), but I do hold the media accountable for this as much as the politicians. They seem to be arm-in-arm these days. Only the NCAA is more disliked!

Deleted member 2897

The United States ranks last in media trust — at 29% — among 92,000 news consumers surveyed in 46 countries, a report released Wednesday found. That’s worse than Poland, worse than the Philippines, worse than Peru. (Finland leads at 65%.)

One explanation, though not necessarily the only one, is the extreme political polarization in the U.S. This study, like many others, found extremely high levels of distrust — 75% of those who identify as being on the right thought coverage of their views is unfair.

@Northeast Stinger is right again! I must admit that I count myself amongst the 71% who do not trust our primary national news media (right or left oriented), but I do hold the media accountable for this as much as the politicians. They seem to be arm-in-arm these days. Only the NCAA is more disliked!

Anybody who hasn't watched the movie Social Dilemma should watch it. It explains how all the social media companies (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, TikTok, etc.) track what people love and hate and feed them those things so they'll spend more time on their platform. Basically outrage clickbait creators. The national and cable media work the exact same way. Once you realize they're not about honesty and presentation of information but all about money generated from clickbait outrage and advocacy, then they just become a joke and you just shake your heads at them.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I don’t follow you at all. If you are vaccinated you are LESS likely to pass the virus to someone. That’s a scientific fact.

None of the conspiracy theories I mentioned turned out to be true. But, yeah, common sense and reason have been obliterated in our country.
Well the results came back this afternoon the local medical authorities confirmed a vaccinated couple are the likely infection source for a couple of unvaccinated people. Certainly it’s less likely than the opposite scenario, but it can and in fact did happen.

Less likely does not mean impossible, that’s a scientific fact. The fact this concept is up for debate on a GT forum of all places is part of the reason why the supposedly less learned are having such a hard time telling fact from fiction. The media and our nations experts/leaders perpetuating misleading statements has eroded the confidence of the populace in the little reliable information being disseminated.

Sad this is happening in what should be the greatest country on the face of the earth.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Well the results came back this afternoon the local medical authorities confirmed a vaccinated couple are the likely infection source for a couple of unvaccinated people. Certainly it’s less likely than the opposite scenario, but it can and in fact did happen.

Less likely does not mean impossible, that’s a scientific fact. The fact this concept is up for debate on a GT forum of all places is part of the reason why the supposedly less learned are having such a hard time telling fact from fiction. The media and our nations experts/leaders perpetuating misleading statements has eroded the confidence of the populace in the little reliable information being disseminated.

Sad this is happening in what should be the greatest country on the face of the earth.
If the implication is that having everyone vaccinated would have most likely prevented all of this then I certainly agree. My vaccination is 94% and 96% effective at preventing transmission and receiving the infection respectively.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

My youngest daughter teaches information technology at a University and she says her biggest challenge is getting students to learn how to discern legitimate news sources.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Anybody who hasn't watched the movie Social Dilemma should watch it. It explains how all the social media companies (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, TikTok, etc.) track what people love and hate and feed them those things so they'll spend more time on their platform. Basically outrage clickbait creators. The national and cable media work the exact same way. Once you realize they're not about honesty and presentation of information but all about money generated from clickbait outrage and advocacy, then they just become a joke and you just shake your heads at them.
I enjoyed that documentary but my daughter, who teaches about this stuff, tells me there are two other documentaries that are much better. Lame dad can’t remember the names of them.

But yes, Facebook especially monetizes the customer based on what gets you the most agitated. I don’t do Facebook for that reason.

LibertyTurns

Banned
If the implication is that having everyone vaccinated would have most likely prevented all of this then I certainly agree. My vaccination is 94% and 96% effective at preventing transmission and receiving the infection respectively.
I’m assuming the deflection is acquiescence because the alternative is not a good look.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Sports Illustrated just reported that the eight positive Covid tests that NC State had were for the new Delta variant which is supposed to be much more contagious. This could explain their reaction and ultimate decision to expel NCS from the tournament. It could also explain how the positive tests for previously vaccinated players came about since they were vaccinated for the prior strain.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Are you saying that playing baseball is a good reason to go against your better judgment if you really do not trust a particular medical treatment that hasn't gotten FDA approval? You sound like you're on a really high horse there dictating what adults should do medically in order to make the ncaa happy.
Not on a horse at all.. literally or figuratively... Although my wife does own (guess that means I own him too) a 16.2 hand Paint Horse.

Facts are the facts. They choose not to get vaccinated and that decision ended up with negative consequences for others.

Last edited:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Have to wonder if the unvaccinated couple had been vaccinated if they would have tested positive/been symptomatic.

Yes, media having to be "first", one sided, having an axe to grind, etc. has created much distrust. Too bad that people look to Facebook, Twitter, and the ilk for their main source for "news" and "facts".

LibertyTurns

Banned
Have to wonder if the unvaccinated couple had been vaccinated if they would have tested positive/been symptomatic.

Yes, media having to be "first", one sided, having an axe to grind, etc. has created much distrust. Too bad that people look to Facebook, Twitter, and the ilk for their main source for "news" and "facts".
I never considered that aspect. That’s a great point. Maybe the folks were just naturally susceptible to catching it the same way some people get the flu & others never seem to get it?

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer

Yes, an infection after vaccination can happen. Reference the NC State baseball team. Or the NY Yankees organization earlier this year. No vaccination is 100% effective. But, historically, vaccinations have proven to reduce the severity of any infection if it is contracted.

I had the measles vaccine as recommended when I was a child, but still came down with the measles after returning from a trip to Italy in 7th grade back in 1985. Unlikely, yes, but it happened. And I lived through it without any medical issues. Perhaps because I had been vaccinated, but I also had excellent medical care at the time.

The bottom line is that the more people that are vaccinated against any illness, Polio, Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Flu, Covid, etc. the less likely people (vaccinated or unvaccinated) are to get it and transmit it to others.

That is the NC State Baseball team's failure. If more players had been vaccinated, there's significantly less of a chance that one or two of the unvaccinated players would get Covid and/or test positive. Therefore. the vaccinated players would have much less chance to get the virus and test positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.