Could UF be coming for CPJ? :-o

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
The Flexbone is illegal in the NFL, you can't cut block. It's amusing because 999/1000 paid NFL analysts would probably trot out the old slogans about bigger, faster defenses etc (as if pro players aren't equally more athletic on both sides of the ball) and not realize that the reason nobody tries the Flex on that level is because the blocking isn't legal. If it were, you'd imagine a lot of teams would run it in packages on short yardage.

It's also possible that the New Mexico/Georgia Southern version could eventually reach the NFL since those blocking schemes are more upright. There would be a lot of long faces and vicious disapproval as when Tim Tebow introduced the Read-O, but there's no real reason it wouldn't be effective.

Exactly why do you think cutting is illegal in the NFL? It's not run in the NFL for the very reasons it was said, is said, that I would not work in the ACC. Of course they are not true, but everyone seems to believe it.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Jeez, is this a bi polar site? Or more accurately are CFBs fans just plain ADD and bipolar? There are still a few get rid of CPJ threads running. There would never be this thread if we hadn't made a play to force the fumble and get the last TD against GSU or the 5 or so plays it took to come back from two scores down against VT.

Thinks are never as bad as they look when you lose and never as good as they look when you win.

I **think** that CPJ is fairly loyal to the players and program he has built and doesn't need to run off for more money. He'll be with GT for a while. Something will be worked out. All he has to do is beat UGAg, FSU, Oregon and Alabama. (tic)

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
ZHavenor --

Personally? I think they're afraid of losing fan interest. Visit your local bar and notice how many NFL fans are only concerned with how hard a tall, slow white man can stand in one spot and zing a football, or how high his favorite WR can jump. It's retarded and sad, but if your goal is to make maximum profit you have to encourage passing the ball and ignore football purists who are in the minority. So NFL rules, organizational focus, media etc. are all pretty much aligned vs. any innovations in the running game.

One of the overlooked aspects of "Tebowmania" was the level of bitterness and resentment (still ongoing) toward the 2011 Broncos for daring to run 50+ times a game and win that way. It went beyond differences of opinion. Analysts and opposing organizations were annoyed, even disgusted. I think everyone really thought it was the end of their lucrative paychecks if the league kept going in that direction.

These days the media strategy is to simply ignore the option play as if it doesn't exist or work in the NFL anymore. Last week on Inside The NFL, Boomer Esiason said "The zone-read is a bunch of crap, completely useless" but last time I checked, the Seahawks and Dolphins are murdering defenses with it 15+ times a game. It's almost creepy when you think about it. They count on the fans being deaf, dumb and blind...and most of them are.

As for injuries due to cut blocks, if cut blocks do cause extra knee or ankle injuries to occur then that's a much less corrupt reason for the rule. I suspect it's a little of both.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
ZHavenor --

Personally? I think they're afraid of losing fan interest. Visit your local bar and notice how many NFL fans are only concerned with how hard a tall, slow white man can stand in one spot and zing a football, or how high his favorite WR can jump. It's retarded and sad, but if your goal is to make maximum profit you have to encourage passing the ball and ignore football purists who are in the minority. So NFL rules, organizational focus, media etc. are all pretty much aligned vs. any innovations in the running game.

One of the overlooked aspects of "Tebowmania" was the level of bitterness and resentment (still ongoing) toward the 2011 Broncos for daring to run 50+ times a game and win that way. It went beyond differences of opinion. Analysts and opposing organizations were annoyed, even disgusted. I think everyone really thought it was the end of their lucrative paychecks if the league kept going in that direction.

These days the media strategy is to simply ignore the option play as if it doesn't exist or work in the NFL anymore. Last week on Inside The NFL, Boomer Esiason said "The zone-read is a bunch of crap, completely useless" but last time I checked, the Seahawks and Dolphins are murdering defenses with it 15+ times a game. It's almost creepy when you think about it. They count on the fans being deaf, dumb and blind...and most of them are.

As for injuries due to cut blocks, if cut blocks do cause extra knee or ankle injuries to occur then that's a much less corrupt reason for the rule. I suspect it's a little of both.
I guess I get the other things but really you think cut blocking is illegal in the NFL? If it is when did it change? I have not paid to much attention to the NFL in the last 5 to 6 years because I think its boring, but before that cutting is perfectly legal.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nebraska might want CPJ but I seriously doubt he wants to go live in the high plains. He is a southern guy living in Atlanta. What could be better than that? I don't know him personally, but I ACTUALLY BELIEVE he likes working with good students who happen to be good FB players too. I think he takes the mentorship side of things very seriously and is proud as he!! to be a Yellow Jacket.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
ZHavenor --

Yep. Tons of people felt this way.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
Id personally want the Georgia southern head coach if paul left for some reason. We'd basically run our same offense but out of the shotgun. Players like Justin Thomas or Mathew Jordan would thrive in it. I want paul to stAy and keep doing what he's doing tho.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Id personally want the Georgia southern head coach if paul left for some reason. We'd basically run our same offense but out of the shotgun. Players like Justin Thomas or Mathew Jordan would thrive in it. I want paul to stAy and keep doing what he's doing tho.

I really like GSU's coach. He's being mentioned for the Kansas job, and pretty much every lower tier P5 job.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
ZHavenor --

The NFL has become much more enjoyable to me since the "college coaches" (Harbaugh, Kelly, Carroll) took some of the college game (the option game specifically) to the NFL. Man, I really hope someone hires a coach with balls to sell out on an option based offense like CPJ's or Malzahn's.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Guys there is no way any program would go after CPJ. He won't leave here unless it is Bobinski making the call. But I do think we should definitely extend him at the end of this year if he wins 1 of UGA, ACCCG, or the Orange Bowl. If we end with 3 straight losses (those games) then we should hold off on an extension.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Guys there is no way any program would go after CPJ. He won't leave here unless it is Bobinski making the call. But I do think we should definitely extend him at the end of this year if he wins 1 of UGA, ACCCG, or the Orange Bowl. If we end with 3 straight losses (those games) then we should hold off on an extension.

CPJ has 2 years left. If he doesn't get an extension at the end of this season, he's gone whether it's his choice or Bobinski's. IMO, he's getting at least a 3 year extension after the season.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I'm not so sure about that. I think he will have plenty of options. Also, it will be really interesting trying to find a new coach after we refused to give an extension to a guy having one of the better seasons at GT in the last 50 years.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
I guess I get the other things but really you think cut blocking is illegal in the NFL? If it is when did it change? I have not paid to much attention to the NFL in the last 5 to 6 years because I think its boring, but before that cutting is perfectly legal.

I misunderstood your original question, sorry.

It's indeed too simple to say that the NFL has banned cutting, but it's all BUT illegal. You have to do it within where the tackles line up, and can't if its 3+ yards downfield. The language in the rulebook is "murky" according to coaches I know who have read it (I have not) and officials are just as likely to throw a flag as not even if the block is clean. Cutting is also very frowned upon by many players and even some offensive coaches.

So running the traditional Flex would A) render your offensive tackles helpless to execute their blocks if they fanned out at all, or ran more than 2 yards off the line B) make you the most penalized team in the league hands down, and C) threaten to turn every game into an uncontrollable melee as opposing players sought retribution for "dirty" blocks.

Again, I think the Tony Annese/Willie Fritz versions of the spread-option with upright blocking and the QB in a Pistol or Shotgun are a wave of the future and could absolutely be used in the NFL. It will take a while for those schemes to catch on though, even on a major college level. Major-conference HC's, and NFL coaches in particular, are fantastic tacticians...but as slow and dense as dirt when it comes to adopting new strategic concepts.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I think he deserves it after this season, no matter how it plays out from here. He took a team down double digit scholarship players and is 3-0 against the big 4, and finished at least tied for the division. He(and his staff) have done an amazing job, and even our losses were down to the wire. After this last off season, 9 wins through 11 games isn't good coaching, it's wizardry.