Could UF be coming for CPJ? :-o

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I was told by someone at Tech that if we act soon then they think he will take it...they said if Spurrier leaves USC they could come after him.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I was told by someone at Tech that if we act soon then they think he will take it...they said if Spurrier leaves USC they could come after him.
That first sentence is confusing.
Does that mean if we offer an extension he will take it?
or
Or if UF offers he will take it.

I'm not worried about USCe or UF tbh. He wouldn't be a serious candidate at either one. I'm not saying he shouldn't be, but I don't see them going with an flex coach.

FatPat

Jolly Good Fellow
Eric I think The Spur won't leave SC, he will stick around no more then 2-4 years then make bank with Lou Holtz.
I would hate to lose P.J. I am just a true fan of the spread option and how you can take 3 star players and compete! However, something in me is fascinating about PJ offense in the SEC- Can you imagine ESPN etc. as they do a 180 on how they describe the - tripple option, "high school" offense?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
For the guys who think CPJ doesn't have time to worry about the contract situation now, you're right...but his agent does. All CPJ will do is highlight his demands, and his agent would make sure whatever happens those demands would be put in writing. CPJ could do that over lunch. Most everything else is typical of standard coaching contracts that would be copied and pasted from old contracts.

When you hear coaches and players say they don't have time to worry about their contracts, that's BS...there's ALWAYS time to "worry" about contracts because agents take care of all the heavy lifting.

Bobinski knows by now what he wants to do with CPJ.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Eric I think The Spur won't leave SC, he will stick around no more then 2-4 years then make bank with Lou Holtz.
I would hate to lose P.J. I am just a true fan of the spread option and how you can take 3 star players and compete! However, something in me is fascinating about PJ offense in the SEC- Can you imagine ESPN etc. as they do a 180 on how they describe the - tripple option, "high school" offense?

I would personally love to see CPJ in the NFL.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
He's 57 years old. He is not going to go somewhere else to coach for a few years especially a rebuilding program. Hell it took him forever to make a decision whether or not to leave Navy..

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
I will say this - I have always loved the CPJ hire, and despite the tough losses, I never regretted that he was our coach...

There is nothing that is plain vanilla about our coach - he's a ball buster on an off the field, challenges the players consistently to get the most of their talent and abilities, in the classroom and on the field... I believe him when he says no one hates losing more than he does, and I think he instills that in his players...

With the trajectory we're on in recruiting, and with the staff we have in place, I fully expect us to be playing for the ACC championship year in/out, and it wouldn't surprise me to see the UGAg rivalry split even or better over the next ten years - which is saying a lot since the cesspool is fielding historically talented teams...

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The only job I would see as a good fit for CPJ other than Tech would be Nebraska. He would rejuvenate their once proud traditon of running the football. These SEC schools are looking for glam and glitz and that ain't Paul Johnson.

Go Jackets!

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
I would personally love to see CPJ in the NFL.

The Flexbone is illegal in the NFL, you can't cut block. It's amusing because 999/1000 paid NFL analysts would probably trot out the old slogans about bigger, faster defenses etc (as if pro players aren't equally more athletic on both sides of the ball) and not realize that the reason nobody tries the Flex on that level is because the blocking isn't legal. If it were, you'd imagine a lot of teams would run it in packages on short yardage.

It's also possible that the New Mexico/Georgia Southern version could eventually reach the NFL since those blocking schemes are more upright. There would be a lot of long faces and vicious disapproval as when Tim Tebow introduced the Read-O, but there's no real reason it wouldn't be effective.