Could UF be coming for CPJ? :-o

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I misunderstood your original question, sorry.

Again, I think the Tony Annese/Willie Fritz versions of the spread-option with upright blocking and the QB in a Pistol or Shotgun are a wave of the future and could absolutely be used in the NFL. .

Is Annese still at Ferris State? Very good coach.

I coached a pistol-flexbone offense for a few years. To me, you've got most of the same challenges in that setup, though with less of a negative perception because now you're "spread."

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
He's 57 years old. He is not going to go somewhere else to coach for a few years especially a rebuilding program. Hell it took him forever to make a decision whether or not to leave Navy..
A few years? He could easily coach ten more years, maybe more. But your point would be whether he would want to or not at a new school.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
... which is saying a lot since the cesspool is fielding historically talented teams...

Just wait. If GT keeps winning, the talent will come flooding in. This feels like a program on the upswing and it's exciting to watch. Winning in convincing fashion against a ranked Clemson team on national TV is good stuff. We've got 1 (hopefully 2) more BIG games to show the world what we can do. Hopefully our guys take it to the next level against those mutts.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
A. UF hasn't reached out regarding Paul (although Paul's agent is VERY happy with these rumors; hell, he may have even started them :))
B. Paul isn't leaving to go anywhere else (once again, see comment regarding Paul's agent).
C. It is my understanding that no school has inquired about permission to speak with Paul in the last 24 months or more.

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
I expect he'll be our coach for a long time... Only reason I started this thread was I was listening to the idiots on ESPNu and they suggested UF would be focused on finding a great offensive coach - and I can't think of one better than CPJ...

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Who made this rumor up?? Lol I haven't read this anywhere.
Not happening in any way shape or form...
The ONLY major power five school that I can possible see inquiring about CPJ is Nebraska, and they would probably go after Ken Niumatalolo before CPJ, or someone who runs a shot gun spread.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
Is Annese still at Ferris State? Very good coach.

I coached a pistol-flexbone offense for a few years. To me, you've got most of the same challenges in that setup, though with less of a negative perception because now you're "spread."

Yes as far as I know he's still there.

Everyone can agree that the Flexbone is a great running attack, but what is its time-honored weakness? Pass protection. Linemen have to adjust to upright pass blocking, and an option fake takes longer to execute than a normal play-action look. The Pistol puts the QB in a better position to pass, he can even catch the snap and throw immediately. Also, you have the option (excuse the pun) to put your A-backs out as slot receivers, where they can still go in motion behind the B-back and take a pitch in the triple, but if the defense loads up to stop the run your QB has 4 potential receivers to throw to.

Also you have the ability to switch to a zone-blocking scheme and incorporate the Read-O like Georgia Southern is doing.

IMO the only weakness is that if your opponent is bigger, stronger and faster than you, running out of the Pistol can make it harder to get 4 or 5 yards when you absolutely need them. That's why Navy mostly scrapped its Pistol/Shotgun packages for the time being -- they're constantly facing larger, more athletic opponents and have to knife out running lanes as quickly as possible before the defenders can react.

Where did you coach the Pistol-Flex if you don't mind me asking?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I like how GSU is running their pistol flexbone, I would love to add packages for next season.
Look out for Chad Morris, I hear his name coming up in relation to Florida.
Clemson may even fire Dabo and hire Chad in response ??

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
A. UF hasn't reached out regarding Paul (although Paul's agent is VERY happy with these rumors; hell, he may have even started them :))
B. Paul isn't leaving to go anywhere else (once again, see comment regarding Paul's agent).
C. It is my understanding that no school has inquired about permission to speak with Paul in the last 24 months or more.

You have expressed in the past that you have insider info. I honestly doubt the veracity of what you imply above. Even so....
A. Even if you know someone in the AD's office, they'd be pretty stupid to leak important information about this stuff to outlets (mouths) they can't control.
B. See A above (also....you shared a table with CPJ once...drank a few with him and shared some laughs apparently....I hardly think that lends you much insight into his soul or into his possible decision making regarding his family and financial welfare)
C. Even if no one has inquired in last 24 months....what makes you think this can not change very, very rapidly?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
To those that say CPJ wouldn't leave for reason x,y,z.........I hope your right. I don't feel so certain. I think some of your opinions are clouded by your love for the institute and projection that CPJ shares the same love. (I do think he loves our kids but I think he felt the same about the kids at Navy and GSU....our kids and where he has the program will likely be pulls to keep him here....I'm not sure those pulls are unbreakable strings) Other opinions seem to be based on what yall think outside opinion of CPJ is. I agree there are some negative perceptions out there about CPJ and his system.....I think his record the last 3 years has more to do with any cooling off in perception regarding him and feelers he may or may not have gotten. His record is pretty good right now and I have to think that will shade perception on him accordingly.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
To those that say CPJ wouldn't leave for reason x,y,z.........I hope your right. I don't feel so certain. I think some of your opinions are clouded by your love for the institute and projection that CPJ shares the same love. (I do think he loves our kids but I think he felt the same about the kids at Navy and GSU....our kids and where he has the program will likely be pulls to keep him here....I'm not sure those pulls are unbreakable strings) Other opinions seem to be based on what yall think outside opinion of CPJ is. I agree there are some negative perceptions out there about CPJ and his system.....I think his record the last 3 years has more to do with any cooling off in perception regarding him and feelers he may or may not have gotten. His record is pretty good right now and I have to think that will shade perception on him accordingly.
Navy is a service academy and Ga Southern was Div 1aa. He is coaching big boy football now he has no reason to leave our program unless we push him out.