Couch Coach

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Not quite. We are good enough to the run our scheme, what I’m suggesting is when you see these pressure schemes or guys walking up in the gaps. Take 5 more seconds of the play clock and set the protection and get the communication correct of who is picking up who
That then begs the question. Do our players know to make the change. Our center doesn't even snap the ball when we get them offsides. We have missed A LOT of chances, 2 or 3 in the cuse game alone. Never know if you'll go deep and get a PI call on a play like that. We have to use those freebies lol.

Deleted member 2897

Not quite. We are good enough to the run our scheme, what I’m suggesting is when you see these pressure schemes or guys walking up in the gaps. Take 5 more seconds of the play clock and set the protection and get the communication correct of who is picking up who

For example, right at the snap the LB skirts up to the line to show blitz. DONT hike it. Say woa woa alright OL see the blitz, reset your protections, give them 5 seconds to point/level set...then hike. Can make all the difference in the world. If you’re Trevor Lawrence, you might even change the play...but that’s a little too much for Sims probably yet.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Your response makes sense. I get that success begats success as you state. I am curious how those schools primed the pump, Especially since the examples we discussed (Pitt, VT, Iowa, BC) don't have all the advantages that the top 5 or 6 schools have.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Currently, Sims has some BAD luck.

The whole team. I mean, there's plenty of self-inflicted mistakes and poor play. But it seems like every mistake has the worst possible outcome. It feels like every bad throw Sims makes gets caught by the wrong team. Instead of being "almost picked off" or "dangerous".

Most of the time, batted passes will flutter harmlessly to the ground. Sims' are dropping right in the lap of defenders, every dang time.

The TD on the 'tackle' where the defender rolled over our player and never hit a knee or elbow. (and the BULL$$$$ fake whistles in the Syracuse piped in noise looked like it caused our players to whoa up.)

The kick protection and kick height are part of the problem, but even still, most of the time, the defender who gets through shouldn't have the perfect luck to be exactly positioned so they can jump up and the ball hit their hand.

SMDH

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Defense-

The theme so far for our defense has been lack of trust and discipline.

Let’s start our apology tour to Curry. We ask why no one can surplant Curry at the LB spot it’s bc of mistakes like this

giphy.gif

3rd & 20

3 man rush 2 spies

Rule number 1 as spy. If you gonna shoot your gun, you better hit your target. Knight does the right thing by rushing, but inexplicably rushes inside where his help (Curry is already is) and this mistake almost leads to a 1st down

Basic understanding of alignment & assignment
giphy.gif

This lack of discipline is just as nerve wrecking as the penalty. Oliver is the force player meaning he is contain and nothing should get outside of him. Why he is stutter stepping and not forcing the ball to 4 defenders giving chase is beyond me

????

giphy.gif

This play confused me a lot. I initially thought it was quarters coverage until i saw the CB up top but i see Spider open up & giving up the inside which usually a sign that he expects help. Ima label this as a busted coverage

Our DBs must win at the LOS with their bigger frames and longer arms.

giphy.gif

This is very bad technique by Spider not a getting the jam. We must get better at this or it will be bombs away

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
That then begs the question. Do our players know to make the change. Our center doesn't even snap the ball when we get them offsides. We have missed A LOT of chances, 2 or 3 in the cuse game alone. Never know if you'll go deep and get a PI call on a play like that. We have to use those freebies lol.

It they can count to 5 they should lol

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I agree, boger. Wisconsin makes it's living on getting OLs. Any decent lineman in the area wants UW or Iowa. That type of attraction can be done at Tech, IMO
but it takes a few years of having consistent NFL draftees. Keeping Key will be imperative, and give it 2 more years.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Your response makes sense. I get that success begats success as you state. I am curious how those schools primed the pump, Especially since the examples we discussed (Pitt, VT, Iowa, BC) don't have all the advantages that the top 5 or 6 schools have.
I think it starts with who we already have- Brent Key. Relentless recruiter, known name from his time at BAMA, and another year or so.

slugboy

Staff member
Defense-

Our DBs must win at the LOS with their bigger frames and longer arms.

giphy.gif

This is very bad technique by Spider not a getting the jam. We must get better at this or it will be bombs away
He was beat at the 45 yard line. It was all over in the first 2 yards.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I agree, boger. Wisconsin makes it's living on getting OLs. Any decent lineman in the area wants UW or Iowa. That type of attraction can be done at Tech, IMO
but it takes a few years of having consistent NFL draftees. Keeping Key will be imperative, and give it 2 more years.

Look at the body type and athleticism of the OLs we've been signing or are currently committed to us. You'll find that our OLs are going to start looking a LOT like Wisconsins or Bamas OLs. We are not getting the pure "Day 1" talent like Bama is getting, but Key is building his OLs to develop in our system. In 2-3 years, this OL is going to be like a production line...wave after wave of 6'4-6'7 maulers year after year.

OL and DL take time to develop if we're not signing those "Day 1" 4/5 star guys. We look a LOT better this year, it's mainly the same guys. Imagine what we look like with guys who have the body type, length, and athleticism Key wants and they've been in the program 2-3 years.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He was beat at the 45 yard line. It was all over in the first 2 yards.

Ugh...he also let the single side WR release to the inside instead of forcing him to the outside that way he can use the sideline as an extra defender.

Our DB play has been disappointing this year. CGC personally works with them which makes it worse. Our secondary talent has been one of the best positions we recruited to.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Just to make the CDP haters mad

Ibee, thanks for your keen insight but did you have to go and do that? Sheesh. You know how in a zombie movie you can't make a sound or it brings the heretofore unseen zombies out of the woodwork? Your post was the equivalent of not just making a sound, but beating a #@$% kettle with a hammer. Those folks had just about fired all their bullets after the 'Cuse game until at least our next game and I was looking forward to the respite. C'mon man. ;)

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Look at the body type and athleticism of the OLs we've been signing or are currently committed to us. You'll find that our OLs are going to start looking a LOT like Wisconsins or Bamas OLs. We are not getting the pure "Day 1" talent like Bama is getting, but Key is building his OLs to develop in our system. In 2-3 years, this OL is going to be like a production line...wave after wave of 6'4-6'7 maulers year after year.

OL and DL take time to develop if we're not signing those "Day 1" 4/5 star guys. We look a LOT better this year, it's mainly the same guys. Imagine what we look like with guys who have the body type, length, and athleticism Key wants and they've been in the program 2-3 years.
+++

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Ugh...he also let the single side WR release to the inside instead of forcing him to the outside that way he can use the sideline as an extra defender.

Our DB play has been disappointing this year. CGC personally works with them which makes it worse. Our secondary talent has been one of the best positions we recruited to.
Biting so much on run fakes , thinking a run first. Safeties slow in getting over to help. I don't get the bad play. They get beat almost right after the snap so the rush is not much of a factor.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Here are a few gifs i decided to breakdown to give an idea of what happened on field vs. Syracuse

Offense:

A lot of style without the substance of scoring TDs or points at all. I believe Sims is the future but he is a freshman and will make mistakes. Currently, Sims has some BAD luck. Here are the two tipped INTs

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Here is an RPO vs Cuse’s man blitz
1) Initially, i thought this should’ve been a give to the RPO but the back camera shows you what Sims see, which is #11 stepping up on run support leaving a void for the slant.

Problem:
1) Quinney does a poor job washing the defender down who ultimately makes the play. A better block would give Sims the opportunity to make the throw to Carter in 1on1 coverage

2) Even if completed we appear have OL(Johnson) downfield

giphy.gif

Football word of the day is Scat
That’s the pass protection called when you send 5 receivers

Clearly, our offense has an idea of what Syracuse wants to do. With this route combo vs man coverage vertical/zig/swing pulls the LB out the middle LB clearing the way for the intended target, Camp, on the slant.

Problem with pass pro, you have to get a body on a body. Williams & Johnson double team the pinching DE leaving the LB (who timed the blitz perfectly) unblocked

Speaking of timing, one the biggest blunders CDP had imo with Sims is slowing the game down. This is why i didn’t mind the timeout vs. UCF when dealing with a True Freshman. Multiple times vs the blitz we snapped the ball with 20+ left in the play clock instead resetting the offense or pointing blitzers for the OLineman to pick up

Poor execution

giphy.gif

I’m ok with play but not with the personnel nor execution. This play screamed pass with Jamious at FB. Also, a bad sell on the give. There was nothing to make #13 pause so this could be completed. If given time, Ward was wide open in the end zone. (Look bottom of screen

I’ll be back with the defense in a few

Thanks man!

On the first play, it's pretty clear that Sims made the read quickly and started his throw right as the rusher was getting away from his block heading right into the throwing arm. There's nothing Sims could have done to anticipate that here. It was a bad block, but the OL mostly has done a good job, and it seems very unlucky that the timing of escaping the block lined up perfectly to get a hand on the pass and that it laid up in good position to be picked off. I don't know if the right reads are made, and there is the lineman downfield, though it's a bang bang throw. Those RPOs don't often get called back for that.

On the second play, it's clear the pressure should have been anticipated. Don't know if the line blocked the way they're supposed to, but the QB should be aware of where pressure might be expected to come from so he can avoid it and at least be able to turf a ball to avoid a loss when necessary.

It's interesting about tempo. Obviously slowing down gives you those opportunities. And going fast gives you the opportunity to gas the defense, limit their adjustments, and maintain rhythm.

Deleted member 2897

Let’s start our apology tour to Curry. We ask why no one can surplant Curry at the LB spot it’s bc of mistakes like this

Yep, Curry is one of the slower non-linemen on the team. So if anybody wonders why he plays so much and has so many tackles, that GIF is the perfect example. He is a smart, hardworking dude who knows where to be. He’s not perfect either with that, but dammit. Knight was a QB. Howard was an RB. I think a lot of this will be helped as we recruit more players to play linebacker that have actually spent their life playing linebacker. They have that innate muscle memory of knowing where to be without having to think about it or be taught about it.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I agree with your initial assessment, that's its' a bad read on the power give. To me that's a give read, especially given that 11 is crashing into the passing lane on the slant. Like, yeah, maybe you could throw it over him, but it's going to have to be a higher throw than you'd like on a slant. To me, that's a give, pick up 3, and move on to 2nd and 7. The HBack even does a good job getting EMOL turned out, which is a tough block, given where he was lined up.

The third play is probably close enough to Waggle to call it that, and yeah, you're exactly right, that's just a piss-poor PA fake, and the defender didn't buy it for a second (also, me personally, I'd be coaching my RB that you can't just let a man run past you dead at the QB. If your route is dead because of a blitz, you have to sacrificed the route and cut down that blitzer, but maybe the staff feels differently.)

I tuned into the game for a little bit Saturday to watch the offense, and actually didn't mind what I saw. Maybe it was different when I wasn't watching, but I saw you guy just line up with an H-back, and shuffle him back and forth and run a ton of 3wide Power/Counter/Inside Zone with associated RPO's. Nothing fancy, just kind of "line up and kick your ***" offense, which I'm a fan of.

Personally, I'd have taken some of the responsibility away from the QB, and made those plays "the read is give unless they FORCE you to keep it", but I respect that they're coaching him the way they want him to run it as a Junior, and take their lumps while he learns now.

That said, if Syracuse is going to beat you up at the LOS, it might be another LONG year.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
The whole team. I mean, there's plenty of self-inflicted mistakes and poor play. But it seems like every mistake has the worst possible outcome. It feels like every bad throw Sims makes gets caught by the wrong team. Instead of being "almost picked off" or "dangerous".

Most of the time, batted passes will flutter harmlessly to the ground. Sims' are dropping right in the lap of defenders, every dang time.

The TD on the 'tackle' where the defender rolled over our player and never hit a knee or elbow. (and the BULL$$$$ fake whistles in the Syracuse piped in noise looked like it caused our players to whoa up.)

The kick protection and kick height are part of the problem, but even still, most of the time, the defender who gets through shouldn't have the perfect luck to be exactly positioned so they can jump up and the ball hit their hand.

SMDH

You would think our coaching staff could have put an end to those whistles by pointing out to the officials